COMPLETE[PLAY] Dandy Dick by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kinda neat the way a playwright can handle scenes that would be tough to stage - such as the horse race with Dandy Dick - by having them take place off-stage and then having a character tell you about it.

In Mademoiselle de Belle Isle which just finished, there are two desperate overnight dashes to Paris that take place between acts 1 and 2 (Mademoiselle going to and from the Bastile) and between act 2 and 3 (Richelieu and wife going to argue with the King to save D'Aumont). In a movie there would be expensive shots of running horses in the dark of night, probably including rain and wind, carriages careening around tight bends on cobblestone streets, rippling orchestral music, etc. In the play it takes place entirely in the imagination.

So yes, this is well named in favor of Dandy Dick.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Oh marvellous, Todd. :clap: I just couldn't go to bed now without listening first to Dandy Dick. We're all sounding so brilliant together.

Indeed, "conniving sisters" would be an accurate subtitle for the first Act. Devorah and Leanne sound so much like sisters, it's incredible. Poor dear Papsey really doesn't stand a chance against them. :mrgreen:

Loved the entire thing, there's not one wrong note, I think. :thumbs:

If anything, I would cut out one single stage direction:

> at 13:45: Tarver [Laughing convulsively.] - I think this can be cut out, as Craig's laugh is convulsive enough here :lol:
But it's really up to you of course. Otherwise PL ok.

And now...I'm off to my stable having a lie-down in the hay. Good night, ye all :9:

Tidds
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

A fixed Act 1 - removed stage direction as you recommended - has been uploaded. Along with Act 2 for PL.

There is some skullduggery afoot in the Deanery this night!! I hope you can sleep through it!!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:A fixed Act 1 - removed stage direction as you recommended - has been uploaded. Along with Act 2 for PL.
:lol: yes this heart-felt laughter is really great right after Darbey's sentence. :thumbs: Much better now.

Act 1 PL ok

Will try to get to Act 2 later on.
There is some skullduggery afoot in the Deanery this night!! I hope you can sleep through it!!
yes the Dean really should be ashamed of himself !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Act 2 is oooh so excellent :clap: really the best thing to wind down after a hard day's work :9:

I love all our interactions, but especially the Dean is quite the highlight here in almost all the scenes. The dialogue with Blore is quite cool, I find. :thumbs:

Another highlight are the righteously outraged sisters in the final scene. One can't help laughing about their misfortunes. :lol:

The thing that hurt my ears a little bit was Sir Tristram, who still sounds louder than his surroundings. Well, it probably fits his boisterous nature :lol: We have to take him as we get him :mrgreen: I did notice that you did your best to tune him down.

I have a few suggestions where the stage directions would be better cut out, to make the action more fluid:

> at 20:06: The Dean. [With a groan.] Oh - you definitely need to get rid of the stage directions here. It's simply too good to have this perfectly resigned groan right after my sentence !

> at 24:27: The Dean [With horror.] What! - also here, the effect is much better without the directions. You sound horrified enough :lol:

> at 39:33: Georgiana [Shrieks with fright.] Ah! - no directions needed here either I think, the flow of the scene is interrupted unnecessarily

All the other parts: SUPERB

is it just me or are these acts much longer than ordinary plays ? :hmm:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"The thing that hurt my ears a little bit was Sir Tristram, who still sounds louder than his surroundings. Well, it probably fits his boisterous nature :lol: We have to take him as we get him :mrgreen: I did notice that you did your best to tune him down."

Think of all the hairdressing bills Tidd will save on. Well, just so long as she favours the windswept look.

Sir Christram
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I cut the Act 2 stage directions as suggested.

I could go through and cut Sir Tristram's volume more throughout - to my old and stricken ears it does now match the other parts (as his twin's speaking did in The Schoolmistress). Let me know if you really think I should do that, and by how much to cut it.

These three acts are each twice as long as each of the 5 acts in Belle Isle. That is probably why I am making mistakes in editing, since I am too stubborn to just do half at a time.... And Act 3 is even more longer!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 is posted for final PL. Those sisters are at it again - but the Toppings - Constable and Mrs - are hilarious!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Awesome ending. I just spent the last hour winding down with the third act. :9:

Every scene was acted out so marvellously:

Hannah and Blore then Hannah and Topping were indeed two great double-acts :thumbs:
the sisters with their beaux were just as petulantly hilarious as in the previous acts :thumbs:
Georgiana, Tris and the Dean all had their great moments :thumbs:
Hatcham's role was short but Roger took out the most of it :thumbs:
and last but not least, Sandra's stage directions blended in very colourfully with the rest of the play :thumbs:

and of course a special mention for Todd, who is not only a great Dean but also a great editor and who did not spare his poor wrists to assemble our diverse utterances into a coherent play :thumbs:

Now that I mentioned each of our great team, there's only one more suggestion I could give you Todd (and then I'll shut up):

> at 37:30: Hannah [with a cry] - can be cut out, as we already have a great cry from Ava here

other than that: another wonderful Pinero is in the box !

Bravo !

As for Act 2: all the corrections nicely done and PL ok now. I also listened to Sir Tristram without my headphones and I can safely say, just with my normal ears, he sounds find and not at all too loud. No need to tune him down after all.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will make the change suggested and then look for last spot PL.

Wonderful play and a pleasure to pull the parts together. Next Pinero farce is prep'd - but while you wait, take a look at some of the other plays here - there are still lottsa parts available!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 fixed and ready for spot check. Otherwise project is ready for the catalog. A hearty thank you from the Dean to all of you!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

was about to go to bed, but now I need to listen to this...stay tuned, time for me to download it one last time

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Act 3 fixed and ready for spot check. Otherwise project is ready for the catalog.
Yes, absolutely Spot PL ok now :clap:

Carry it away, Todd !!!!

looking forward to hopefully hearing you all in the next Pinero (or any other play) :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Many thanks to you all, and especially to our DPL Kitty who is hopefully sleeping in her timezone at this point.

This play is complete. All audio files may be found on our catalog page at: https://librivox.org/dandy-dick-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

Thanks, Todd