[COMPLETE] Why do we need a public library? by Various -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK - I crossposted so I deleted it

Lets try and keep Colleens in 1 piece , then everything would be OK - it's 2AM here and I must go to bed.
If yourecord without the into's at the moment i'll do some more checking ilater, The cutoff isn't 60 mins it's about 80 I think

Anne
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

It's going to be longer than 80 minutes as well...I'm a little less than halfway thru and already past an hour. I'm guessing it is going to finish at somewhere between 2 and 2.25 hours.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You'll need 3 parts , its 28,233 words long :D We may need to do some number shuffling so don't upload till BT works out what he wants to happen . They have to be whole numbers , we can't have 12a 12b type

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've PMed the BC with a couple of different plans , and i'll fix the MW and PM Michele and Colleen with the numbers they will need.
Sorry about the delay but we need to get it right . It will only be the intro outro and file name that are in question, so you can read them .

Anne
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! It is really good though, I never read any Thomas Paine before, it's amazing how clean and clear his prose is. Reads very modern.
Colleen McMahon

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've learned a lot via LV, I mainly PLed when I joined, and was involved with books I'd not even heard of , or that I never ever would have picked up to read and not only learnt from them , also enjoyed them. :thumbs:

Anne
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Anne
I'll pick something out to fill the gap for section 12 later today or tomorrow. Thanks all!

Colleen, haven't read all of the Paine, but I've been reading Plato and Epictetus lately -- it's amazing how little has changed over many centuries of human thought.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I picked this article from a 1901 collection of essays (which almost sounds like it was written yesterday):
The Negro Vote in the States Whose Constitutions Have Not Been Specifically Revised, by John Hope, 1868-1936
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35449
The Negro and the elective franchise.

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi!

Okay I have separated the piece into three sections and finished recording it (whew!) -- the 3 sections come out to about 54 minutes, 57 minutes and 70 minutes respectively, though these will all shorted by a couple of minutes once I cut out all the gaps and do-overs!

I need to record the beginning and ending bits of each section and just wanted to confirm that this is now the end of the book and therefore the end of part 3 should have the "end of book" statement as laid out in the text at the top of this thread--correct?

I hope to have the first part edited and up by later this afternoon and the next two tonight or tomorrow, depending on how cross-eyed I am after a couple hours of reading and then editing! But I WILL get this done by golly!
Colleen McMahon

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

:oops: forgot to tell you to add the "end of book" Well remembered. It all sounds great. Thanks for your understanding :D

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

I am working on 22 right now, but have decided to relinquish 14, Essay on Human Understanding. Sorry about that. I just don't understand it! :roll:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here is section 29, which is the Paine piece, part 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/whypubliclibrary_29_various_128kb.mp3

50:35
Colleen McMahon

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 22 has been uploaded.
Note: I removed references to the previous article in the introduction, which didn't add to, nor make sense in, this stand-alone piece.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/whypubliclibrary_22_various_128kb.mp3 15:38
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

MW has been updated with Michele's and Colleen's recordings, and section 14 freed once more. :help: As popular as the character named after the author was on 'Lost' years ago, you'd think we'd have more volunteers. ;)
msfry

Post by msfry »

VfkaBT wrote:MW has been updated with Michele's and Colleen's recordings, and section 14 freed once more. :help: As popular as the character named after the author was on 'Lost' years ago, you'd think we'd have more volunteers. ;)
John Locke from Lost I understood perfectly, but was never quite sure why he identified with the real John Locke. Great series, if a bit bizarre!!!!!