LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Posted:: September 18th, 2017, 2:46 am 

The Meaning of the Glorious Koran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall (1875 - 1936). Translated by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall (1875 - 1936)
Quote:
( )

• Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/Three_Translations_Of_The_Koran_Al_Quran_Side_By_Side_Pg16955
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Other religions
    Keywords that describe the book:
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Meaning of the Glorious Koran . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Meaning of the Glorious Koran , by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. Translated by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall (1875 - 1936) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Meaning of the Glorious Koran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. Translated by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall (1875 - 1936) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Meaning of the Glorious Koran , by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. Translated by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall (1875 - 1936)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    koran_##_pickthall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number.
    (e.g. koran_09_pickthall_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

SOLO "The Meaning of the Glorious Koran by Mohammed Marmaduke PICKTHALL" will be read solo by Siyami Aktan.

I had in mind to read M. M. Pickthall's translation of the Holy Koran but then I've noticed a prior recording by a collaborative work of various readers here at LibriVox. So I've asked my LibriVox Administrator Carolin of my prior project, whether I could also read the same book or not since I had great enthusiasm for reading particularly Picktall's translation because, being a Muslim myself, I've admired his accuracy as well as his literary achievement in his translation (since Pickthall was a man of literature, a novelist himself).

Reading this book "SOLO" is a challenge, I know :) but I am quite determined about it. In my project I will follow the same path as the prior group took as I will read from the same text http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16955 which has a side by side translations of the Holy Koran which establishes Picktall's translation is in Public Domain.

Just as the earlier group did, I will also divide 114 Surah's into 69 sections. All section will go paralel and identical with Surah numbers up until Sec 61. Starting from Sect 61 it will be as follows-

Sec61 Surahs 061-065, Sec62 - Surahs 066-070, Sec63 - Surahs 071-075, Sec64 - Surahs 076-080, Sec65 - Surahs 081-085, Sec66 - Surahs 086-090, Sec67 - Surahs 091-095, Sec68 - Surahs 096-100 and Sec69 - Surahs 101-114.

Last edited by MagnificentOne on September 25th, 2017, 4:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post Posted:: September 18th, 2017, 2:53 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

A couple of things . You need to give a link to the text you want to use so we can check we can use it.
If we can, then to setup a Solo you need to read the sticky "So you want to read a Solo" at the top of this forum and fill in the template and post it
We do have this in the catalogue so it seems there is a PD text - it's also 16+hours of finished reading with quite long sections - neither of which mean you can't do it , I'm just suggesting it is long for a first solo by a relatively inexperienced reader :D

Anne

Post Posted:: September 23rd, 2017, 9:18 am 

I ve done revisions for the first post and ready to go.Any MC to claim my project :help:

Post Posted:: September 23rd, 2017, 6:17 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Sure, I can set this up for you. Is the source text the same as used in our other version?
EDIT: I have added a tilde ~ to the title post so we can attract a DPL. Do you have anyone in mind?

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

Post Posted:: September 23rd, 2017, 10:05 pm 

Hi thank you for your help and for the magic window. :)
and greetings from Izmir Turkey,

I've read the earlier group's posts, what they did was for practical reasons and for the sake of easy reading without confusion, they worked on the uploaded text which had 3 translations side by side and deleted other 2 translations and then uploaded this text which contained Pickthall's translation only. For the Proof Listener I will do the same thing also and upload the text.

However, there will be a few differences in my text reading to the prior group's reading method and they are

1. I will also read the Arabic titles of each Surah (chapters) beside their English titles.

2. I will read the total number of verses of each Surah.

3. I will read the numbers of each Surahs (Chapters) and Ayahs (Verses) respectively at the beginning of each verse (e.g.One one: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.) in order to inform the reader what part of the Koran he or she is exactly reading. That would be also vital for the readers to understand and learn especially in the long Surahs, what Ayahs they are reading as well as provide them point of reference for evaluating and discussing them in the future.

This method may initially sound annoying at the beginning of each line but I humbly thought that "the benefit exceeds the harm" so I decided to do so.

Finally, my reading method will eventually sound like this;

"Surah 1 of the Meaning of the Glorious Koran.

This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
"Recording by Siyami AKTAN"
"The Meaning of the Glorious Koran. Translated by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. “

SURAH 1: al-Fatihah: The Opening (Total Verses: 7) Revealed at Makka "

(One One) In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
(One Two) Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, and so on......

Also please note that don't have anyone in mind in particular for the Proof Reading and whoever wishes to do this long-term work with me, is more than welcome to join the project.

Thank you again for all of your support.

regards,
Siyami

Last edited by MagnificentOne on September 24th, 2017, 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted:: September 24th, 2017, 12:48 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

If everything is sorted out and the project is ready to take off, I humbly offer my dpl services.

Post Posted:: September 24th, 2017, 2:15 am 

That's right., just took off! :thumbs:

Post Posted:: September 24th, 2017, 6:47 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Well this is falling right into place!. Thank you rapunzelina for your services, the soloist and I are grateful. Concerning your methodology for reading, everything sounds good so I will move this project to Going Solo and we are off to a great start. :thumbs:

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 5:02 am 

Hi again,

I've just uploaded my first audio file to the librivox server of the Surah 1 "the opening" , (file duration: 01m:37s) Here's the url link; https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/koran_01_pickthall.mp3

Also for the proof reading please find the text of Picktall's translation of this surah at the following link; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wmpV1_PMEDBQX6sQFGVCTZM9ZGtNj56DsaoGZsw6fRw/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 6:35 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

MagnificentOne wrote:
Hi again,

I've just uploaded my first audio file to the librivox server of the Surah 1 "the opening" , (file duration: 01m:37s) Here's the url link; https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/koran_01_pickthall.mp3

Also for the proof reading please find the text of Picktall's translation of this surah at the following link; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wmpV1_PMEDBQX6sQFGVCTZM9ZGtNj56DsaoGZsw6fRw/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

As soloist for this project you are responsible for setting up and maintaining the Magic Window - which means filling it out with section titles, putting the u ploaded links in the right places, etc. Were you aware of this? A soloist is the Book Coordinator of his/her project. If you do not know how to do these things, check the links about 'going solo' again and if the information is not there let me know, I will help you get started. it is not difficult at all.
EDIT: note that the file names have 128kb in them. please see the first post where it gives examples. Thanks.

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 2:13 pm 

Let me remind you that this is my second project in Librivox and first time as a soloist. Some points are missed easily when you are new, after a while, I'll be welcoming newcomers and helping them out with similar problems here. After all, they'll be here voluntarily, on their own and with a good faith.

The responsibility of the soloist as a "Book Coordinator" could have been clearly stated in either going solo announcement section or New Porjects Launch Pad "Want to start a solo recording?" section.However all those information is so ambiguous that only after your message I went to check the wiki help page extensively only to find out the easter eggs hidden in the "How to become Book Coordinator section" where it says why soloist password rejected etc.while tring to access Magic Window.

Anyway, finally I had the access to the Magic Window and filled out the Surah names in 69 sections and on the way had some error messages and mistakenly I have added section 70 to the Magic Window, It doesn't allow me to delete it either. So I will ask from you to delete that section 70 from the list.

Also please note that I've rectified the tag name and added 128kb and re-uploaded audio file and renewed the url link.

Thank you,

Last edited by MagnificentOne on September 25th, 2017, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 3:01 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Surah 1 is PL OK!

Is it OK that the filename is koran_[...], instead of meaningofthegloriouskoran_[...]? Shorter filenames are always preferable but I'm just checking to see if this is OK for the project.

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 3:31 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Rapunzelina wrote:
Surah 1 is PL OK!

Is it OK that the filename is koran_[...], instead of meaningofthegloriouskoran_[...]? Shorter filenames are always preferable but I'm just checking to see if this is OK for the project.

Sure, that is OK with me. If the soloist prefers that I will change the first post to reflect this.

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 3:41 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

MagnificentOne wrote:
Let me remind you that this is my second project in Librivox and first time as a soloist. Some points are missed easily when you are a new, after a while, I'll be welcoming newcomers and helping them out with similar problems here. After all, they'll be here voluntarily, on their own and with a good faith.

The responsibility of the soloist as a "Book Coordinator" could have been clearly stated in either going solo announcement section or New Porjects Launch Pad "Want to start a solo recording?" section.However all those information is so ambiguous that only after your message I went to check the wiki help page extensively only to find out the easter eggs hidden in the "How to become Book Coordinator section" where it says why soloist password rejected etc.while tring to access Magic Window.

Anyway, finally I had the access to the Magic Window and filled out the Surah names in 69 sections and on the way had some error messages and mistakenly I have added section 70 to the Magic Window, It doesn't allow me to delete it either. So I will ask from you to delete that section 70 from the list.
Also please note that I've rectified the tag name and added 128kb and re-uploaded audio file and renewed the url link.
Thank you,

Sure. You are doing fine and learning fast and it is true that the information could be a lot clearer. Most soloists have a lot more experience doing LibriVox recordings before doing a solo, especially one as large as this one, and so I did presume you had more knowledge. Please don't be concerned, this will all turn out just fine. Here is a video I made some years ago called "Doing Your First solo" - the first half is just how to pick a book to read so that is not useful to you, but the second half has some good information about the magic window and things like that. it may be dated but it is not to long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9H99OSKKA4&feature=youtu.be.

The DPL noted that you saved your first file with the name koran instead of what is in the first post .
Quote:
Example filename meaningofthegloriouskoran_##_pickthall_128kb.mp3
. If you wish to continue with the koran name that is fine, just change the first post to reflect that, OK? The DPL looks at what is specified in tht first post to see what should be there. Again, be patient with the process. it is important to be consistent with thing like this and once everything is settled, it will go smoothly. Please ask if anything is confusing or does not make sense. :thumbs:

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 5:10 pm 

As you'll see I did revise the first post containing the file name examples generated new project template.Put the shorter file names in accordance with the uploaded audio file.

You haven't mentioned anything about my request in my last post concerning the deletion of section 70 in the Magic window, Actually the total number of the sections have to be 69 but by mistake I have created section 70 in the Magic window while working on it. I tried to delete it myself, however it didn't let me.

I appreciate your suggestion on your video I will definitely take a look at it at my earliest.

Thank you