Hi from the UK! Where are you from and why are you here?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
GracieDee

Post by GracieDee »

Hi there! I'm Grace, a 3rd year engineering student in the UK. I decided to try voice acting because I've always loved the process of cartoons, animations, and audiobooks, and wanted to try it myself! I'm not sure where I'll end up, but I'd like to make this more than a hobby one day.

It's nice to meet you! Where are you all from and what drew you to Librivox/voice acting?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sorry not to have responded earlier. I'm caught up in the Dramatic Works forum (see my signature line) and spend too little time out in other parts of the forums - or out in REAL LIFE either - this is an infectious hobby.

I got caught by the "for more information or to volunteer" line 6 years ago and essentially am in a catalog release of one sort or another every week - a chapter, a role, or both or more.

Enjoy, Todd
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Hi Grace and welcome.
The best starting point is submitting a one minute test and the team there will guide you on getting your setup right. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test There is no need for an expensive mic... a decent USB mic can be bought for about $20 on Amazon. Of course, you can pay a lot more for a better one, but best to see if you enjoy recording before forking out :D

When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects, but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you. Todd's dramatic works are also a good launching point -- you select a part and just read the lines for your character. It's acting without the audience heckling you :lol: You can start with a minor part and work up to a leading role if you wish.

I'm a transplant from the UK -- originally from Kent but have been living in the US since 1995.
Lynne