COMPLETE SOLO [FINNISH] Ruhtinas by Niccolo Machiavelli-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Ruhtinas by Niccolò Machiavelli (1469 - 1527). Translated by Oskar Albin Kallio (1874 - 1940)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ruhtinas-by-niccolo-machiavelli/

Ruhtinas on erään Firenzeläisen valtiosihteerin, Niccolo Machiavellin, ohjekirja ruhtinaille, jotka haluavat säilyttää tai lisätä ruhtinaskuntainsa valtaa. Se on kirjoitettu renessansin ajan Italiassa, jolloin koko maa oli jakautunut pieniin, toisiansa nokitteleviin kaupunkivaltioihin ja se on omistettu sille ruhtinaalle, jota Machiavelli toivoo koko kansan yhdistäjäksi. Ruhtinas on yksi maailman luetuimmista ja arvostetuimmista kirjallisista teoksista. Vai pitäisikö sanoa epäarvostetuimmista, sillä se oli pitkään Indexissä, eli Kirkon kiellettyjen kirjojen listalla ja herättänyt lukijoissa läpi historian paljon kauhistelua ja pelon sekaista kunnioitusta. Sitä pidetään reaalipolitiikan peruskirjana, jossa Machiavelli kertoo suoraan miten asiat ovat, ei miten niiden pitäisi olla. Monet ovat löytäneet Machiavellin ohjeet hyödyllisiksi myös nykyajan arki- ja liike-elämässä. ( Harri Tapani Ylilammi)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45472
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Ruhtinas. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Ruhtinas, by Niccolò Machiavelli. Translated by Oskar Albin Kallio (1874 - 1940) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Ruhtinas by Niccolò Machiavelli. Translated by Oskar Albin Kallio (1874 - 1940) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Ruhtinas, by Niccolò Machiavelli. Translated by Oskar Albin Kallio (1874 - 1940)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename ruhtinas_##_machiavelli_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ruhtinas_01_machiavelli_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Hi!

I have already started to read & recording this project, and I'm quite far already. I plan to record few projects this summer, and this is first. If I don't find anyone to prooflisten, I think my brother will do it, as before.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Harr,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

We need to decide on about one thing.
This book has many references. If it is ok for you people, I thought I produce this as The Selfish Gene by Ricahrd Dawkins, where there are 2 readers, one (male) for body texts and one for references (female). I have already aid narrator selected for this job, my younger sister. She is an adult (22 years old) and has good voice too. I’ll ask her, and I’m quite sure she is willing to help us.
Is this okay? We’ll do this as solo project as intended, she reads only the references, and everything is done as solo-project.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

And we need to decide on another thing too.
This book has many very short chapters (less than 5 minuntes) and few very long (~30 minutes). What is the best practice about this? I was thinking that I record 1 chaprer as 1 chapter as usual, but leave the long intro out. Insted use shorten info, something like ”this is a librvox poject, chapter 2”. Is it even possible to have chapters under 5 minutes?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Harr,

1. If you would like to read this as a duet, that is fine. Your sister should sign up as a reader so she can be credited in the catalog. We do need to think about how to note her voice in the recording itself. In a dramatic reading or play, we have a cast list, where each person reads the name of their character, followed by "read by [reader's name]. Maybe in the first section you could use this intro:

You:"Chapter [number] of Ruhtinas. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by [your name]."
Your sister: "Footnotes read by [Your sister's name]"
You: "Ruhtinas, by Niccolò Machiavelli. Translated by Oskar Albin Kallio (1874 - 1940) [Chapter]"

2. You may have sections under 5 minutes, if you want to put each chapter in its own section. You may also group them together. Entirely your choice.

As a solo, we already have a standard shortened intro starting with section 2. It is in the first post. You might consider reading it as:

You: "Chapter [number] of Ruhtinas by Niccolò Machiavelli. Translated by Oskar Albin Kallio (1874 - 1940) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Read by [your name]"
Your sister: "Footnotes read by [your sister's name]"
You: "Chapter [number, title]"

MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

OK, great! I start a new job tomorrow, but I try to devote my time to this project as much as possible.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Best of luck in the new job Harr. May you quickly learn the people and the systems so that you can bring your best work to every task on every day.

MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

UPDATE:
My sister has promised to help me! In fact, we already have recorded her parts. Now it should take at most few week from me to put it all together. Happy Midsummer all!
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

UPDATE:
My new job at the car factory has taken all the energy. All freetime goes towards recovering from hard work. The good news is that I have vacation coming from 29th July to 6th August. And I don't have any vacation plans, so it will be a good time to finsih this project. See you then!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update Harr!
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

UPDATE:
Almost done here! Just few more adjustments, re-recordings and miscellaneous things, and this project is ready. Time estimate is about a week.

Then there is the proof-listening, and my brother does that, which shouldn't take more than week or so.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update Harr.

Please load the files into the MW when you are finished with them, and ask your brother to PL from those links. That way we make sure the links work . . . important since those links (and the files they point to) are the starting point of the cataloging system.

Regards,
MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

UPDATE:
Sorry for project delay, but my job is draining all the energy. But I'm still going to finish this, it so close to finish that it would be too big of a shame to reject it now. I have 3 days off my job at the end of September. This is my chance! So if I haven't sent the files by, let's say 2nd or 3rd of October, we can dismiss this project. But hopefully this won't be the case!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update Harr.
MaryAnn