[COMPLETE] The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol 10 - LEGAL -pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 13:

In this opening statement he manages to bring the Mississippi into his defence for keeping the remote Post Offices open: "You might say that there is not a spring that flows into the Mississippi that is navigable. Let us cut off the springs. Then what becomes of the Mississippi? That is not navigable either. It is on account of the streams not navigable, emptying into one that the one into which they empty, becomes navigable."

I also love the line: "There has got to be some genius in this thing and not little bits of suspicion."

He manages to weave in some of the American history that has made America Great...and I am not talking in the past tense...!!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_13_ingersoll_128kb.mp3

Size: 29.61
Time: 31:35

Listen and enjoy...
Teddy

"Under all discouragements, he pursues his object, and yields to nothing but impossibilities." - Rights of Man, by Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
msfry

Post by msfry »

neecheelok70 wrote:Michele, the reading is PLOK, except for a couple of comments, which seem to need cutting out. At 6:12 "OK, let's go" and a little later about 6:27 "Now put in the footnote." Jim
Section 39 repaired and reuploaded. Times of corrections are moved back about a minute.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_39_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 29:01
Roger

Post by Roger »

-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Section 39 is PLOK.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 11

"He took no more interest in it than in the ashes of Sodom and Gomorrah!" Gotta remember that one, find a place to use it. Ha Ha.

16:43 they probably would not have gone into the business at all. the is missing, referring specifically to the postal business.
20:12 expedited, I hear expected
26:32 The orders on the Post-Office Department were filed with it, I hear filled (Elsewhere, filed is said correctly, so I know it's not just a British thing.) :wink:
28:10 At that time Miner and John W. Dorsey, and is missing
30:20 the law allowed the subcontract to be filed, I hear filled.
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 14:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_14_ingersoll_128kb.mp3

Time: 44:34
Size: 41.79

This concludes Chapter three...you will not be disappointed...I wasn't...!!!
Teddy

"Under all discouragements, he pursues his object, and yields to nothing but impossibilities." - Rights of Man, by Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 11 the Directors version...uploaded

I have Expedited The, Filed, Filed And Filed bits...!!!

Sorry.
Teddy

msfry

Post by msfry »

Teddy wrote:Section 11 the Directors version...uploaded

I have Expedited The, Filed, Filed And Filed bits...!!!

Sorry.
Ha Ha.
Section 11 is PL OK. Today I tackle 12 after editing my own next file (which for some reason is giving me fits).
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 40 is uploaded. Your turn, Jim. :mrgreen: (no idea who Mr. Green is, but I kind of like him and thought I'd let him shine for a change.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_40_ingersoll_128kb.mp3
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

40.is PLOK. :clap:
msfry

Post by msfry »

neecheelok70 wrote:40.is PLOK. :clap:
Thanks, Jim!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 12
4:47 he is looked to primarily if there is a failure of a a trip, I hear something strange, sort of like tup-ra-marily?
21:27 Our profits have not been one-fiftieth of the expense of the Government in this prosecution—not one-fiftieth, , I hear one-fifth; and the phrase —not one-fiftieth is missing.
Teddy wrote:Section 12:
This is the best so far; Ingersoll is working towards a crescendo, obviously trying to convince the jury of the strength of his argument based purely on the persuasiveness of his argument...I would want Ingersoll defending me, I certainly would not want him against me...!!!

Enjoy it...I am...
This reminds me of a fishing trip long ago where all our fishing lines got tangled up, and I spent the next few hours on the pier trying to untangle them! Whew! What a tangled web of information Ingersoll has to try and straighten! So far, I'm convinced. Only thing I don't get is why ANYONE WOULD ENTER INTO SUCH A CONTRACT WITH ANYONE UNDER THOSE TERMS. THE U.S. GOVERNMENT SEEMED RIDICULOUSLY UNFAIR TO THE CARRIERS. It's a wonder we had any mail delivery.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 4

WOW this section is tedious. Great job hanging in there, Roger! But then here comes Ingersoll's genius . . .

Mr. Ingersoll. "I am going according to the strict letter of this indictment. I am holding these gentlemen to the law. That is what the law is for. You cannot come into this court and throw seven or eight cords of paper at a man and say, "You are guilty." They have managed this case after that fashion, but I propose to bring them back to the law."

One sheet of paper at a time!!!!! How on earth can the government get so many dates wrong? "We the people" should have sued them for wasting taxpayer money pursuing this case in such sloppy fashion! And I hope the defendants got compensated for their court costs and wasted time.

Okay, I got that out of my system. Now as to my notes:

Intro: Should begin Ch2 Part 2
11:35 Before, the order was fraudulent, I hear ordinance
20:03 missing sentence "There is no proof that the subcontract was a fraud. Let us have some sense. It is an"
23:47, 24:25, 25:39, 26:04,39:45, 40.05 At these locations, Ingersoll begins quoting other people but it's hard to tell when the quote ends without hearing the "end quote". So you might consider adding the quote/end quotes. I sometimes only include the "end quote", when the text implies "quote" by "Mr. Jones said:"
28:40 to end. Volume drops off significantly. I recommend Amplifying +2 or 2.5
32:22 I make a bid (conjectural), I hear "I made a bid" (which Ingersoll didn't do) Seems confusing to me.

As you are adding a sentence, let me remind you to work backwards with your edits, or you may have trouble finding my cited times.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 13

Great speech, well done! This could be a stand alone essay on the importance of the postal system to unifying the country.

My notes:

19:38 Why is it not stopped?, I hear Why it is not stopped.
Volume issues:
Intro very low. Could be boosted by +3.5
Opening remarks from .25 to .45, exceeds LV's recommended range. I recommending lowering it by at least -2.5
Outro could be amplified by +5.

I hear tell that the Leveler Effect works wonders with fluctuating volumes in Audacity, but for some reason I can't enable that plug-in on my Ap. :(
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

19:38 Why it is not stopped, you say...well my response is: "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"...

...well it worked for Clinton in 1998 didn't it...!!!
Teddy