[COMPLETE] Pagan Passions - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Pagan Passions by Randall Garrett and Lawrence Janifer.

This project can n ow be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/pagan-passions-by-laurence-m-janifer/

Volunteers outside the USA: Randall Garrett died in 1987. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
'Adult' Science Fiction? Well, why not? Science Fiction deals imaginatively with odd and unsettling subjects, why not sex? In this novel, the The Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Greece and Rome had returned to Earth—with all their awesome powers intact, and Earth was transformed almost overnight. War on any scale was outlawed, along with boom-and-bust economic cycles, and prudery—no change was more startling than the face of New York, where, for instance, the Empire State Building became the Tower of Zeus! Our hero, William Forrester is an acolyte of Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and therefore a teacher, but Maya Wilson, girl student, was a worshiper of Venus, Goddess of Love and she may have different ideas of what to do after class, especially in a world where prudery has been outlawed. Much dilly-dallying and shenanigans occur I am sad to say but the plot may thicken in the end. ( Phil chenevert and the author)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22767
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    The fabulous DPL for this project is RepublicOfVermont
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Pagan Passions. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Pagan Passions, by Randall Garret and Laurence M. Janifer. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Pagan Passions by Randall Garret and Laurence M. Janifer. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Pagan Passions, by Laurence M. Janifer. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename paganpassions_##_janifer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. paganpassions_01_janifer_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

I would be most happy to be the DPL for this project. I would be most happy to be the DPL for this project. Randall Garrett read by Phil Chevenert? No need to ask me twice, so to speak. :thumbs:
Last edited by RepublicOfVermont on September 12th, 2017, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:I would be most happy to be the DPL for this project. :thumbs:
Anyone from the amazing country of Dystopia would be most welcome !! Many thanks! :thumbs: (I go there on vacations to talk with the natives).

EDIT: this is standard PLing, nothing special. Do not be surprised how I pronounce those Greek Gods and Godesses's names. Sometimes I get uh....creative. Mostly I will try to be consistent. Any feedback on problems you hear would be appreciated.
RepublicOfVermont

Full disclosure: I am very familiar with your work, having listened to every work of Science Fiction you have read for LibriVox, even twice and thrice. It's just how I roll, as they say (whoever they are), so your pronunciations are neither distractions nor corrections in waiting for my ears (after all, Dystopian ears are, quite ironically, very open ears with minds of their own. If a metaphor were necessary to fully allow those kind persons waiting eagerly to read this current dump of my brain's /var/logs partition's archived files (which compromise - yes, you've read that correctly as it's not comprise but compromise - these very words, as well as a posting-in-wait brewing in that thing medical science still insists on labeling a "brain", it would be that of the Energizer Bunny's ears, disembodied, possibly shaved though pink fur is quite a necessary experience here in Dystopia, possibly reshaped, and equipped with not Energizer batteries but external ultra-inductive solar power packs a quarter the size of a fifteen year old computer processor.
RepublicOfVermont

Anyone from the amazing country of Dystopia would be most welcome !! Many thanks! :thumbs: (I go there on vacations to talk with the natives)
Ahhhh now that indeed makes sense and gives me new insight into Entity Phil Chevenert of Sol. Dystopia isn't for everyone, especially as a vacation destination. It is, however, a norm within which the beings from System Sol exist, a sort of State-induced state of being never freely stated as a realty by the afflicted nor certainly ever State-stated as use as the aforementioned induced état de l’existence. I for one am of the belief that experience is everything; without it, one cannot have access to true knowing/understanding (wisdom?). Even dystopian planes of being are necessarily needed, moreover the more challenging the state of being the more necessary to experience it is for reasons that would transform this post into one such a state for anyone who may read it, though even I am of the belief that said word manufacturered dystopian state - a Linguistique induit Dystopia - is both mentally dangerous, meant only for the strongest of minds to experience, consciously and continually deconstructing its multiverse of subversive linguistic tools designed for use for the exercise of mind, body, and spirit (depending on the preceding Trilogie symbolique one's pre-Dystopian Being believes absolute. Enjoy your stay in Dystopia where even the Mad Hatter is still learning how to 'walk' without gravity with the help of both the Caterpillar (his hookah functions well as an anti anti gravity device via its exhaust system) and, of course, Humpty Dumpty (he's having more fun than I've seen anyone have here, ever, and it's such a delight to watch him not only existing but Living).
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

REPUBLIC! Yes, you talk exactly like the frolicsome natives of the dystopia I have visited with! You make perfect sense to me so this is going to be a great relationship. Thank y ou very much for listening to my SF stuff and (I think) saying you enjoyed it. Even though my recording is done completely for my selfish pleasure at doing it,it is still nice to know that someone does not mind listening to the finished product. BTW, have you tried my recording of Pollyanna? Quite close to SF in my book. :roll:
RepublicOfVermont

Pt 1 :mrgreen: The percent of normals able to fully decipher Dystopish is near zero at any given time. But those normals transform rapidly into Dystopians simply by the learning process involved in deciphering Dystopia-speak, as the normals prefer to refer to Dystopish in a futile attempt to ignore our existence. Admitting that inter-dimensional communications are a reality even on Earth-normal is the final crack in the facade that keeps Earth-normal alive. Then it's just an inter-plane ride (which cost nothing, unlike plane rides, since knowing inter-planes exist presupposes knowing that the Earth-normal nonentity generally referred to in normal-speak as 'money' is nothing more than one of many tools of control that no longer affect they who have transformed, thereby freeing them from the mass restraint known as "Earth-normal". :birthday: (Even Dystopians like cake, but here we actually can have it *and* eat it too. Really, that clichéd reasoning is flawed and I'm surprised even normals are unable to see through that speck in E-n's facade.)

Pt 6 (another perk of living here is one's ability to use the tools linguistics provides in any way one sees fit; however, that explaination is for anyone else brave enough to dive right into my personal pool of signs, signifiers, signified(s), and singularities, as it is quite painful diving into a singularities for the first time. After that they're favorites during multiversal lunar eclipses, as rare as they may be. Getting an infinite number(?) of beings to do anything on command or by request is an impossibility, so it's a matter of the Infinibeing becoming, thereby aligning every being's mindverse.)

I'm unsure if I've downloaded it. I can picture the cover, though that only means I looked at it at some point. I shall look now on each of disk partitions I use that belong to the multinationals to store all of my audiobooks. I need to invest in my own infrastructure; who knows when any of them might choose to discontinue "cloud" storage. Moral: It's not a cloud. It's someone else's disk.

Edit: I do not have it. I'm now downloading it. I *nearly* did so on multiple occasions. I'll be listening to it just as soon as it downloads. I did listen to your narration of the latest Shaw release. That was an obvious one, just as this project is.

Edit again: Vermont :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here is the little short chapter 1 - but it features a worshiper of Venus, the goddess of Love and our reluctant hero. :roll:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/paganpassions_01_garrett_128kb.mp3
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:Pt 1 :mrgreen: The percent of normals able to fully decipher Dystopish is near zero at any given time. But those normals transform rapidly into Dystopians simply by the learning process involved in deciphering Dystopia-speak, as the normals prefer to refer to Dystopish in a futile attempt to ignore our existence. Admitting that inter-dimensional communications are a reality even on Earth-normal is the final crack in the facade that keeps Earth-normal alive. Then it's just an inter-plane ride (which cost nothing, unlike plane rides, since knowing inter-planes exist presupposes knowing that the Earth-normal nonentity generally referred to in normal-speak as 'money' is nothing more than one of many tools of control that no longer affect they who have transformed, thereby freeing them from the mass restraint known as "Earth-normal". :birthday: (Even Dystopians like cake, but here we actually can have it *and* eat it too. Really, that clichéd reasoning is flawed and I'm surprised even normals are unable to see through that speck in E-n's facade.)

Pt 6 (another perk of living here is one's ability to use the tools linguistics provides in any way one sees fit; however, that explaination is for anyone else brave enough to dive right into my personal pool of signs, signifiers, signified(s), and singularities, as it is quite painful diving into a singularities for the first time. After that they're favorites during multiversal lunar eclipses, as rare as they may be. Getting an infinite number(?) of beings to do anything on command or by request is an impossibility, so it's a matter of the Infinibeing becoming, thereby aligning every being's mindverse.)

I'm unsure if I've downloaded it. I can picture the cover, though that only means I looked at it at some point. I shall look now on each of disk partitions I use that belong to the multinationals to store all of my audiobooks. I need to invest in my own infrastructure; who knows when any of them might choose to discontinue "cloud" storage. Moral: It's not a cloud. It's someone else's disk.

Edit: I do not have it. I'm now downloading it. I *nearly* did so on multiple occasions. I'll be listening to it just as soon as it downloads. I did listen to your narration of the latest Shaw release. That was an obvious one, just as this project is.

Edit again: Vermont :thumbs:
OK, you have lost me but i'm sure there are tons of great ideas in t here. Have you listeoned to or read Flatland? I am thinking of recording it. some great ideas of other dimensions that stretch our jaded senses.
RepublicOfVermont

OK, you have lost me but i'm sure there are tons of great ideas in t here. Have you listeoned to or read Flatland? I am thinking of recording it. some great ideas of other dimensions that stretch our jaded senses.
You'll figure it out in time. Or while recording Flatland. Yes, I've listened to Flatland. I like it. Downloading part one of this current project. You'll have feedback shortly.
RepublicOfVermont

Note: Working from an iPhone inhibits any ability to use the MW to approve of posts as PL. So I'll need to ask the favor of doing that from your end.

Section 1 is good to go.

Check out ~ Title: The Back of Our Heads Author: Stephen Barr Release Date: April 21, 2016 [EBook #51823] on Gutenberg.
RepublicOfVermont

Chapter 2 - PL OK.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:Chapter 2 - PL OK.
Thank you. Hey, how about utopias? Do you ever live in a utopia?
RepublicOfVermont

philchenevert wrote:
RepublicOfVermont wrote:Chapter 2 - PL OK.
Thank you. Hey, how about utopias? Do you ever live in a utopia?
You’re quite welcome. I live in them vicariously whenever an interesting one appears courtesy of LibriVox. I especially love certain audiobooks (utopia-related or not) that imprint enjoyable dreams while I’m asleep as I always fall asleep to an audiobook. I’ve learned over the years which books to avoid due to any negative effects they have on me, whether while sleeping or after having listened to them while sleeping. Example: A particular Dostoevsky book didn’t give me a bad dream, in fact it was quite interesting; regardless, it did somehow mess with my brain so that I was in a bad mood the following 2-3 days approximately. A utopia themed book which I can always count on for a pleasant dream that is surprisingly close to the book’s narrative is News from Nowhere by William Morris. Also even many of the “dystopian” themed Science Fiction books give me some very enjoyable dreams, simply because I’m journeying in/through worlds so unlike(1) anything on this Earth. I go along for the ride, so to speak, but I do so in ways that aren’t possible while awake.

(1) Science Fiction, at least at its best, is a mere wrapper that disguises social critique (many times quite scathing) in a fantasy world. I believe it’s the only way the authors could get away with said critiques. Presenting what they had to say directly without the “wrapper” would have landed some authors in prison during certain periods in history. Okay, any period including right now. Of course, that’s only the opinion of someone who does nothing but absorb books and think.

Short version: yes, I do also live in utopia(s). Thank-you for asking.
RepublicOfVermont

Unrelated to Pagan Passions, however I happened across an mp3 zip file on archive.org with a missing first chapter (a book in the Conan series @ https://archive.org/details/conanshadowsinmoonlight_pc_librivox
screenshot here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-BYvipVABrNTzZ6TzMwSG84RzQ ).