Antiquated speech...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
carteki

Post by carteki » September 14th, 2017, 3:31 am

I use Anon frequently. It helps separate the wheat from from the chaff!

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » September 14th, 2017, 3:34 am

Johndec wrote:I might try to bring 'erstwhile' back into fashion... :wink:
Oooh, yes, and then you can vary it depending on circumstances with 'whilom'!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » September 14th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Where the job advertisement says "Provide three references", you could respond "Ibid., Op. Cit., and Loc. Cit.", but I bet you won't get the job.
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

J_N

Post by J_N » October 2nd, 2017, 1:31 am

I know how to use i.e. correctly - does that count? :lol:

On a serious note, though: I am not sure about my English but I have been told quite often that my German sometimes is rather high-brow (i.e. old-fashioned). I am pretty sure this comes from reading too much. :mrgreen:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » November 17th, 2017, 10:12 am

I don't think this one's antiquated, precisely, but regional. Today I used the word "stramash" in a facebook comment. I don't know why this is the word that came to mind as the most fitting (in reference to the uproar people always make over the Starbucks holiday cups every year :roll:), but I know I got it from one of my George MacDonald books.
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury Traveling preacher, America
The Crook in the Lot Faith in the midst of trials
The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle DR
Insect Adventures Children NF (US or Life+50 only)
Faces in the Fire Essays on Faith

mhhbook

Post by mhhbook » November 17th, 2017, 4:38 pm

I love the words “whipper snapper” Especially like the phrase “Gol danged whipper snapper.” Has a real Gabby Hayes sound to it. Anybody remember him?
Mary

“Two people do not really live together until their books become one library.”
Susan Glaspell

Marsupial's Books

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson » November 17th, 2017, 5:15 pm

mhhbook wrote:I love the words “whipper snapper” Especially like the phrase “Gol danged whipper snapper.” Has a real Gabby Hayes sound to it. Anybody remember him?

"Hayes, in real life an intelligent, well-groomed and articulate man, was often cast as a grizzled codger who uttered phrases such as ... "durn persnickety female"..." [Wikipedia] Yes, I remember him.

PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon » November 24th, 2017, 3:18 am

mightyfelix wrote:I don't think this one's antiquated, precisely, but regional. Today I used the word "stramash" in a facebook comment.
Indeed, Scottish is a useful source for some interesting alternatives. I think most modern Scots would consider "anent" a bit too old-fashioned and pernickety, but I find "outwith" quite useful sometimes (as an erstwhile - that's perfectly current with me, by the way - bureaucrat, I might well say "That would be outwith my remit": it helped to adopt the somewhat pinched accent of an Edinburgh lawyer). At the other end of the scale, "bahookie" adds a certain entertainment value.
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com