COMPLETE[PLAY]2nd Mrs Tanqueray by Arthur Wing Pinero-thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Repeat cut out, compression settings changed. New file is a bit shorter at 16:45.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_paula_3.mp3
Act 3 is now PL ok, the volume seems better now as well. Thanks.
And here's Act 2. I tried to keep the volume reasonable!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_paula_2.mp3 (17:35)
Only one note for Act 2:

> at 15:58: "If you stop that letter, walk out of the house." - this remark didn't make much sense to me, Paula wouldn't have the power to throw Aubrey out of his own house. So on a hunch I checked the original archive scan and indeed, it is a Gutenberg error. The correct sentence should be: If you stop that letter, I walk out of the house. This threat makes much more sense in the context.

Source: https://archive.org/stream/secondmrstanquer00pineuoft#page/86/mode/2up (bottom of page 86)

Other than that, all flawlessly read. And I especially love the final scene where Paula really screams out in despair and lets out all her frustration on Aubrey. :thumbs:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, getting the volume balanced in this file was a bit of a headache, as the end part was much louder than the start. I hope the snide conversation between us comes together well! The line about you looking unwell was hilariously bitchy! ;)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Yes, getting the volume balanced in this file was a bit of a headache, as the end part was much louder than the start.
For drama files I often highlight every "chunk" separately and check the correct volume. I know, it's a lot of work, but if there are screams and whispers in the same Act it's worthwhile.
I hope the snide conversation between us comes together well! The line about you looking unwell was hilariously bitchy! ;)
hehe yes I loved that part of the dialogue. I wonder how it will sound in the end. I will be sporting a thinly-veiled dripping-acid voice as well :mrgreen: There is really no love lost between those two.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

When I assemble the final act files, one of the things I sometimes do is adjust the volume of each phrase. Sometimes this has nothing to do with any single character's reading, but maybe others in the conversation ended up speaking more loudly or softly than expected - one voice whispering and another still full voice, for example, when neither actually had a stage direction about what volume to use in that scene.

Of course in a perfect world you'd all know exactly how the other reader is going to sound as you spoke each phrase. The magic here at Librivox is how often it actually sounds like you all recorded together rather than separately. And that is even before any editing magic needs to get applied!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Of course in a perfect world you'd all know exactly how the other reader is going to sound as you spoke each phrase. The magic here at Librivox is how often it actually sounds like you all recorded together rather than separately. And that is even before any editing magic needs to get applied!
you know, I may have an advantage here. I listened to so many recordings of all our regulars that when I record my bits, I often can actually picture my dialogue partner and know how they will read their lines. Not always, but very often in the end it sounds exactly as I predicted. :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And you two have convinced me - I have to read Aubrey and be part of these scenes!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:And you two have convinced me - I have to read Aubrey and be part of these scenes!
yay yay yay ! Go, Todd ! :clap:

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yay Todd! Now I have someone to yell at!! ;)

Here's Act 2 again, with that one word correction and a touch of adjusting to the volume:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_paula_2.mp3 (17:37)

EDIT: And Act 4, which is more quiet and despairing and not quite as hysterical as the previous two:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_paula_4.mp3 (12:36)

Well, that was an amazing ride! I think another DR to rant and rave in! I really do like the acting part of it all, though I've been doing more narration recently.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote:Yay Todd! Now I have someone to yell at!! ;)
Poor Todd, he has already been yelled at enough at the Deanery. He really seems to pick the roles :mrgreen:
Here's Act 2 again, with that one word correction and a touch of adjusting to the volume:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_paula_2.mp3 (17:37)
thanks, Act 2 now PL ok
And Act 4, which is more quiet and despairing and not quite as hysterical as the previous two:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_paula_4.mp3 (12:36)
powerful ending :shock: I love very dramatic speeches near the end and you did a good job of showing the despair in your sobbing final speeches. :thumbs:

Super, Act 4 is also PL ok. Paula is put to rest (literally)

thanks Beth !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have recorded Aubrey. An hour and seven minutes down the path to Hell. (I like to record all of someone once I get in character. If I'd stopped during this one I might not have come back.)

Need to recover first - this is NOT a farce, is it - and then edit. Probably in a few days.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Sir George Orreyed act 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_sirgeorgeorreyed_3.mp3

As this character is clearly drunk, I considered using a 'method acting' technique and getting drunk myself before recording the role. But I decided that was taking things too far!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:Sir George Orreyed act 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_sirgeorgeorreyed_3.mp3
As this character is clearly drunk, I considered using a 'method acting' technique and getting drunk myself before recording the role. But I decided that was taking things too far!
well, we all have to make some sacrifices for Art from time to time :mrgreen: anyway, you sound drunk enough even without the method acting training beforehand. You're a natural, it seems :lol: I find drunk-roles always mightily funny, maybe I should consider playing one myself one day. :hmm:

That said....Sir George wouldn't stay more than 1 hour under my roof. :roll:

Thanks, Act 3 is PL ok

oh something else: remember we talked about the Baronet thing over in Dandy Dick ? Well Sir George is also a baronet, this "Bart" for the voice credits could be extended to Baronet, if you wish to be more precise. Maybe re-do the voice credits in the 4th act.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Aubrey uploaded.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Aubrey uploaded.
I'll do this in installments. Act 1 starts out very promising already :thumbs: I think you nailed Aubrey's character from the first. Although a bit reluctant to tell his friends, nevertheless he wants to do as he pleases, otherwise he would have told them earlier and risk being dissuaded by them.

The same with Paula, although he wants to "treat her well", he immediately burns her letter and does not do as she wants and read it. So bottom line: Aubrey wants to have it his way...this character trait insinuates from the start that this marriage will not be a successful one.

ok, enough of the text analysis (sorry, can't resist :oops: )

A few things to correct for Act 1:

> at 0:41: “I particularly wished Cayley Drummle to be one of us to-night.” – I think I hear “Drummy”, but since he’s supposed to be your best friend, maybe it would be good to know his correct name :mrgreen:

I hope this won’t turn into a Glyda-affair :shock:

> at about 1:09: missing sentence: “Cayley won't turn up now.

> at about 15:38: missing sentence: “The beast !

> at 19:07: “and counselled me to turn to you in your loneliness” – you say “my” but I think for Ellean it’s an important point that she wants to help her father because he is lonely. I don’t think she feels lonely in the convent

the rest, perfectly acted out 8-)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Aubrey Act 2, perfectly PL ok. Ahhh his constant "Paula, dear" sounds sooo patronizing. The marriage is rapidly going downhill.

I decided to change my recording of the name Cortelyon after all. I didn't mind that Beth was saying it differently, because indeed, some people say names differently. But I think as Aubrey knows her so well, they would pronounce it the same way. And especially when he calls her Cortelyon and she immediately repeats her name shocked, it sounds silly if I pronounce it differently in this dialogue.

I'll hand in a new file this evening. I think I only mentioned the name once, so no big corrections required.

Sonia