[Multilingual] WWI Centenary (Armistice Day) Prose Collection Vol. III-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

BeniaminoMassimo wrote:Hi there! :)

I'd like to contribute a brief piece by French writer Pierre Loti entitled "Nos amis d'Amérique" (literally Our Friends from America). Definitely not one of his most memorable works but clearly a product of its time—the time being January 1917.

*Author: Pierre Loti
*Title: "Nos amis d'Amérique", in Quelques aspects du vertige mondial
*Date: 1917
*Language: French
*Link to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/31918/31918-h/31918-h.htm#NOS_AMIS_DAMERIQUE
*Summary: As war rages on in Europe, French writer and retired naval officer Pierre Loti pays tribute to US architect Whitney Warren and more generally to those American citizens who, despite their country's neutrality at that stage, did their best to support the Allies and document what was going on on the Western front.
Thank you Beniamino! Your section is in the MW. I'll find some French PL help!
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Peter, your section is PL OK!
MaryAnn
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Mary Ann

Is it okay to do Chapter 12 of 'Off to The Front'

The City and The Trenches

Peter
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

I would like to read Chapter 4 "Women Who Wear War Jewelry" from Women Wanted..... by Mabel
Daggett.

Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Peter and Betty,

Thanks for letting me know. I've added your sections to the MW.

MaryAnn
BeniaminoMassimo

Post by BeniaminoMassimo »

A brief contribution in Italian:

*Author: Collective
*Title: Lettere e testimonianze dei ferrovieri caduti per la patria: lettere di Giulio Cozzi
*Date: 1921
*Language: Italian
*Link to text: https://archive.org/stream/lettere-ferrovieri-patria/lettere-ferrovieri-patria_crop#page/n17/mode/2up (pp. 33-35)
*Link to mp3 file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_lettereferroviericaduti_collective_bm_128kb.mp3

*Duration: 4:44
*Summary: Hundreds of Italian railway workers had time to tell their loved ones about life on the front before being killed in battle. Giulio Cozzi is just one of them. He was one of the 10,000 to 13,000 Italian casualties at the infamous Battle of Caporetto.

:wink:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Beniamino! I'll look for someone who can help me PL as I don't speak Italian.
MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MaryAnn, I can PL Beniamio's French and Italian contributions :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BeniaminoMassimo wrote:*Author: Pierre Loti
*Title: "Nos amis d'Amérique", in Quelques aspects du vertige mondial
Link to the mp3 file: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_amisdamerique_loti_bm_128kb.mp3
Beniamino, this is a very interesting contribution, singing the praises of the war-reporters, which still today venture into dangerous situations to bring news of the atrocities of war to the people all around the world. For me it was interesting to hear that such a job was already done in the First WW.

Excellently and flawlessly read, can be marked PL ok.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BeniaminoMassimo wrote:A brief contribution in Italian:
*Title: Lettere e testimonianze dei ferrovieri caduti per la patria: lettere di Giulio Cozzi
*Link to mp3 file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_lettereferroviericaduti_collective_bm_128kb.mp3
oh Beniamino, by the end of this recording I was really crying. Tears already started welling up when Giulio wrote to his mother not to worry about him... but while listening to his end and epitaph I couldn't hold them back any longer. War is such a waste of so many lives. :cry:

Your reading was powerfully emotional and I couldn't detect any textual errors. Only one thing needs to be amended and that is the volume, with 93 dB it's over our accepted upper limit of 92. Could you maybe decrease by some 2 dB and re-upload ?

I also notice a big DC bias of -15. Usually the DC bias should be as close to 0 as possible. You can correct this by going to Effect / Normalize / and there tick the Remove DC Offset box and press OK

Thanks

Sonia
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_womenwanted_daggett_bbs_128kb.mp3

Time is 52:37

Fascinating true stories of everyday and titled women who left their husbands and children to serve at or near the front during the war. These women's names are virtually unknown in history books but, in fact, many of them received the highest military honors their countries could bestow, including the Croix de Guerre.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Betty. Look forward to listening.
MaryAnn
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

May I read Part 3 of A Diary Without Dates by Enid Bagnold, please?
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31124

I already read Part 1 for the first WWI Prose Collection, and Part 2 for the second collection. Might as well read the third and final part, so we have the entire book available at LV.
Listeners would need to find the three parts in three different collections, but at least it'll all be there somewhere!

Part 2 required splitting into two sections, due to its length running a little over. I suspect Part 3 may also have to be similarly split, as it appears to be about the same length.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Maria. I've added you to the MW. If it ends up being two sections, just make up file names that make sense and I'll create a second section for the second part of the third part. :wink:

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Betty,
Women Wanted is PL OK.
MaryAnn