(COMPLETE) The Bookman, March 1921, by Various-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here are my sections. I enjoyed these both!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_21_various_128kb.mp3 18:56
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_21_various_128kb.mp3 4:36

I do have a couple of questions on section 21. For one thing, this sentence: "The faintest praise with which I can d---n the book is to say that it's a d---n good b-----k of mostly ------- verse." I read this as, "The faintest praise with which I can damn the book is to say that it's a damn good book of mostly verse." I'm not sure how close this is to what was intended. Specifically, why would they censor the word "book"? So I'm almost sure that's not the proper word there. But I can't think of anything else that would fit. And I have no hints whatever as to the word in front of "verse". I didn't want to say "blank verse," as that phrase has a specific literary meaning. So I just skipped over it without a pause. If there are any suggestions as to how else I could have read this, I'm wide open!

Second, should I have included the little tagline on the end: "In American. By J. V. A. Weaver. Alfred A. Knopf."? I didn't, but I could go in and add it if you like.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Both links are identical and for a 4m file.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

craigdav1 wrote:
Both links are identical and for a 4m file.
Oops. Well, that's because I stayed up past my bedtime to do this! How about this one?

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_06_various_128kb.mp3 18:56
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

mightyfelix wrote: I do have a couple of questions on section 21. For one thing, this sentence: "The faintest praise with which I can d---n the book is to say that it's a d---n good b-----k of mostly ------- verse." I read this as, "The faintest praise with which I can damn the book is to say that it's a damn good book of mostly verse." I'm not sure how close this is to what was intended. Specifically, why would they censor the word "book"? So I'm almost sure that's not the proper word there. But I can't think of anything else that would fit. And I have no hints whatever as to the word in front of "verse". I didn't want to say "blank verse," as that phrase has a specific literary meaning. So I just skipped over it without a pause. If there are any suggestions as to how else I could have read this, I'm wide open!

Second, should I have included the little tagline on the end: "In American. By J. V. A. Weaver. Alfred A. Knopf."? I didn't, but I could go in and add it if you like.
Our BC is from Florida so may not be available right now to answer your questions. Perhaps our MC, Ann, will be able to help.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

craigdav1 wrote:
mightyfelix wrote: I do have a couple of questions on section 21. For one thing, this sentence: "The faintest praise with which I can d---n the book is to say that it's a d---n good b-----k of mostly ------- verse." I read this as, "The faintest praise with which I can damn the book is to say that it's a damn good book of mostly verse." I'm not sure how close this is to what was intended. Specifically, why would they censor the word "book"? So I'm almost sure that's not the proper word there. But I can't think of anything else that would fit. And I have no hints whatever as to the word in front of "verse". I didn't want to say "blank verse," as that phrase has a specific literary meaning. So I just skipped over it without a pause. If there are any suggestions as to how else I could have read this, I'm wide open!

Our BC is from Florida so may not be available right now to answer your questions. Perhaps our MC, Ann, will be able to help.
Well, I think that d---n is damn for sure, but b-----k and -------- I don't know. I would have suggested using "blank" for them as well, but "blank" does not work for the second one. You could use a pregnant pause for the spot in front of verse, something creative like that.

As far as the second question, I don't think you need to include "In American. By J. V. A. Weaver. Alfred A. Knopf." I think it is the source for the article.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

21 PL OK.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I agree with Ann on the ____ issues. ;)

Made it through the storm, very windy, lots of broken branches and downed palm trees but otherwise safe. Neighbors lost power, running out of fuel for generator powering their a/c unit. :roll: Which is why I don't use a/c. Fresh air blowing through my windows now.

Cat totally bewildered. :)
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

VfkaBT wrote:I agree with Ann on the ____ issues. ;)

Made it through the storm, very windy, lots of broken branches and downed palm trees but otherwise safe. Neighbors lost power, running out of fuel for generator powering their a/c unit. :roll: Which is why I don't use a/c. Fresh air blowing through my windows now.

Cat totally bewildered. :)
Glad to know that you are alright. I have a cousin who is hunkered down in Lutz.

Would you like me to go ahead and re-record that bit, then?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Yes. We seem to have a consensus.
Jamina1

Post by Jamina1 »

I can grab "Woman Sees Steel" and help finish this up :)
Catalog
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...The Shadow Knows!
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Jamina1 wrote:I can grab "Woman Sees Steel" and help finish this up :)
Added to MW; thanks!

Lost power last night for five hours. Our neighborhood came back online about midnight but others just next door are still out. :(
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, how's this? Correction is at 1:13-1:20.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_21_various_128kb.mp3 (4:37)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

21 PL OK.
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

19 Old Love and New Poetry, Or Vice Versa, by Floyd Dell
7:07

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/bookmanmarch1921_19_various_128kb.mp3