Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 22:

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/recollections_22_latourdupin_128kb_.mp3
M:S
27:04

If you have tears to shed...

Thanks to the University of Georgia I am able to read 80 pages of a fuller, 1971, edition which seems to be source material for a course on slavery. Mme dLTdP has mentioned the “strange circumstances” under which she had bought a man. They were these: a young woman who had done some work for them had been spreading stories of the kindness and liberality of the De La Tour du Pins. As a result, a negro (Minck) was inspired to ask them to buy him. Surprised, they made enquires and agreed to become his masters. Then, to Minck’s horror, his bossy father (Prime) turned up and asked the de La Tours to buy him too. Prime went on to persuade them to buy a negro couple (and their child) who were friends of his and whose master was mistreating them.

The original masters fought to retain these particularly valuable slaves (thus "Prime's" name).

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 22 is PL OK.

I'm thinking an enteroviral encephalitis, like poliomyelitis, with paralysis of the muscles of respiration with preservation of consciousness.
Very sad and hard to watch.

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote:Hi Barbara,

Section 22 is PL OK.

I'm thinking an enteroviral encephalitis, like poliomyelitis, with paralysis of the muscles of respiration with preservation of consciousness.
Very sad and hard to watch.

My best,

Pam
Thanks, Pam.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 23 is PL OK.

A nice way to start my day!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 24:

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/recollections_24_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
16:53

Pam, you will appreciate Lucie's courage and steely resolve more if I tell you that, at the beginning of her arduous travel in Spain, she is 6 months pregnant. The editor has been less frank than Lucie about several (successful and unsuccessful) pregnancies. But I have found a full French language text!

Furthermore, Lucie delivered one of her travelling companions of a baby on the road to Cordova, en plein air. This is the reason she overcame her sickness and discomfort to visit the Cathedral of Cordova the next day - to get the baby baptised, in case it died.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

It's very enjoyable to listen and also to have the back story. Having just returned from a trip, I am amazed that anyone can find the energy to make detailed notes at the end of the day--I could not have managed it!

Section 24 is PL OK,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Yes, she amazes me. Hope your trip was less arduous!

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes, thanks, I just got back yesterday.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 25, Pam:

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/recollections_25_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
31:14

A couple of things that interested me - Marguerite's "aristocratic" apron was of the snowy whiteness characteristic of those worn by maids in a grande maison. She had hardly stepped out into the street on her arrival at Paris when a cook pushed her into an alley to say - "You poor woman, you'll be guillotined if you're seen wearing an apron like that".

Monsieur de Chambeau is younger than I thought. Not so suprising then that he took up an apprenticeship when he lived near Albany.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 25 is PL OK.

Very interesting about the role of Madame de Staël in Tallyrand's career at this point. Jean Orieux's otherwise wonderful biography does not give her her due here.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 26, Pam:

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/recollections_26_latourdupin_128kb.mp3
19:30

If you have taken the Eurostar from Paris to London you'll remember that it terminates at St Pancras Station. Lucie's uncle had been buried in a graveyard at St Pancras in 1806. During the construction of the line, his remains (in their magnificent, lead-lined coffin) had to be moved. They were returned to the Cathedral of Narbonne, where he was re-interred with great ceremony.

Yours in Google,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

So interesting!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 26 is PL OK.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »