COMPLETE Doodles: the sunshine boy by Emma C. Dowd-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Doodles, the Sunshine Boy by Emma Dowd ( - 1938).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/doodles-by-emma-dowd/
Doodles is a gentle child, who spends his days confined to a chair - but his life is turned round by the arrival of a special new friend, a gift from his brother Blue, with a remarkable talent. This story tells his tale and that of his life in America in the early 1900s.
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/doodlessunshineb00dowd
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Doodles, the Sunshine Boy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Doodles, the Sunshine Boy, by Emma Dowd. [Chapter]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Doodles, the Sunshine Boy, by Emma Dowd. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename doodles_##_dowd_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. doodles_01_dowd_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by TribalElder on September 3rd, 2017, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is our hope for all that's mortal, and we too shall burst the bond.
Death keeps watch beside the portal, but 'tis life that dwells beyond."
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
https://librivox.org/tom-browns-school-days-by-thomas-hughes/
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'll be happy to MC this for you. I'll get things set up and be back with a few more instructions.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great job setting up your first solo!

Couple of notes:

1. I've shortened the file name. The template gives us what it gives us, and sometimes that's quite long. So we shorten whenever that makes sense.

2. For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you'll need to get into the Magic Window (MW). You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

It's a good idea to read the full set of BC instructions. Some of that won't apply to you this time around (because this is a solo, rather than a group project), but there is some useful info in there for soloists as well.

3. You will next need to fill out the MW with the chapter titles. I've done the first two to give you an idea.

4. You will also need to write a book summary. You can do this later, after you've read a bit of the book. I'll need it before I can catalog.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Hi MaryAnn, many thanks for taking on my project as MC. I have a problem I need to sort out - I've gone to workflow and attempted to get a password reset email; it's not working. I've now requested three, and none of them have landed in my inbox. I've checked all my other folders including my spam, and there's nothing.

Who do I need to speak to about this please? Does librivox have a tech team or something?

-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Logging until I can get to the MW :)

1 - The Bargain (https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/doodles_01_dowd_128kb.mp3) 09:33
2 - Caruso (IN PROGRESS)
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

TribalElder wrote:Hi MaryAnn, many thanks for taking on my project as MC. I have a problem I need to sort out - I've gone to workflow and attempted to get a password reset email; it's not working. I've now requested three, and none of them have landed in my inbox. I've checked all my other folders including my spam, and there's nothing.

Who do I need to speak to about this please? Does librivox have a tech team or something?

Please PM me your e-mail address and I will check how you are set up in the workflow system.
Thanks.
M.A.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Email updated to your gmail account. Please try resetting MW password again.
Thanks.
MaryAnn
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

Job done, Mary Ann. Many thanks for the quick assistance! As you can see, I've now gained access to the MW and I've started to set things up. All the titles are listed and I've linked in Chapter 1 already. I am not sure if I'm supposed to request PL or whether that's yours to do once you've had a listen, so I've marked Chapter 1 ready for PL.

Look forward to working with you :thumbs:
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great.

Please put the file duration (mm:ss) in the "notes" field.

You can advertise for a DPL if you would like. Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

The advert goes on the "Listeners Wanted" board.

MaryAnn
simonettix

Post by simonettix »

Hi!
My name is Simona Rusu (simonettix). I am new volunteer to LibriVox. I would be happy to help by becoming a PL (even DPL, if you need) for this project. Although it would be the first time for me, generally I am a keen listener and reader; also, I will follow the instructions closely and I hope can do the job properly.
Looking forward for your reply,
Best regards,
Simona
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Simona,

I think this would be an excellent project for you to start as a DPL. Children's stories are always fun.

Please read the proof listening guidelines here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners and http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_tips_and_quiz

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

Once you listen to a file, you will post your comments in the project thread (including a note for any sections that are PL OK), and then you will update the "status" for that section in the MW.

If you have any questions, please post and we'll work through it together.

MaryAnn
simonettix

Post by simonettix »

Dear Mary Ann/ Dear TribalElder,

Thank you for your trust and guidance, as well as for the opportunity you gave me to proof listen to your project. It has been a great pleasure listening to the first chapter which I find absolutely wonderfully read!
• The intro matches the one specified in the first post of the project thread (there is only a minor addition, the name of the author is also specified at the start, at sec.00:03, but I suppose this is not a problem) 

• there are no long silences or pauses
• there are no stumbles or repeats. On the contrary! The reading flows smoothly and so very nice to listen to! (Congratulations!) 
• there is no background noise detracting from the reading
• the volume is perfect
• the ending matches the one specified
• There are 5 seconds of silence at the end of the text but before the ending formula. Is this the right order? I am only asking because it's my first proof-listening experience and I don't know for sure.
I have also changed the status to PL OK in the MW - as it is more than OK in my view...it is absolutely delightful to listen to!

Best regards,
Simona
TribalElder

Post by TribalElder »

WOW! Many thanks Simona, and welcome to the world of Prooflistening! Thank you so much for agreeing to PL my solo, and I'm delighted you chose my project to start on! I have had some time out from LibriVox, while I've been sick - and I picked this story, suggested by Carolin (one of Librivox's admins) to make a return.

I'm also humbled by your comments about my reading, and I appreciate your kind words. I look forward to working with you throughout the project, and I hope this won't be the last one we work together on!

*Edit:

I'm also slightly confused about the ending formula, Simona. My understanding is, at the end of the recording, there should be 5 seconds of silence. I think I've possibly done it the wrong way round. I'll edit it and put it in the right order. I think it's meant to be - read - end of chapter announcement & my name - silence. I've also taken out the name of the author in the opening of the recording, per your notes :)

It'll be corrected and up in a few moments. I'll adjust the time in the MW, so if you want to relisten to it, or just the start and end, that'd be great (i have moved it back to ready to PL, just in case). Thanks for the pointers :)
-John Stirling

Icyjumbo, 1964-2010
simonettix

Post by simonettix »

Hi!
I have re-listened to the recording and I have changed the status to PL OK, of course.
It is a real pleasure and I am looking forward to your next recording.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

You've both come to the right conclusion. After all speaking is done, then 5 seconds of silence.
MaryAnn