Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

loon wrote:
laurencetrask wrote:Here is the corrected story 10

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_10_garis_128kb.mp3
Laurence -
Checker now reports your audio level as 90.2 dB - near the middle of the OK range - and your loudest peaks are around -3 dB. The length of silence at the end of the section is 10 seconds - right at the max allowable.

Section 10 - "UNCLE WIGGILY AND THE EEL" - PL OK

Thanks for the reading & thanks for the fix.
(Lynnet, I'll mark the new section length in the Magic Window.)
Thank you. But please note the new Librivox guidelines as outlined in the first post: There should be about 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
The change (even affecting readings over 30 minutes) is to reflect improvements in audio technology... earlier listening devices sometimes cut off the end of the recordings; modern equipment seems not to.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Story 16 is ready for PL.
loon

Post by loon »

Lynnet wrote:Story 16 is ready for PL.
Section 16 - "Uncle Wiggily and Katy-Didn't" - PL OK
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kgrreader wrote:Story 14 is ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_14_garis_128kb.mp3

Duration 8:59

Kathi
Thank you
loon

Post by loon »

Kathi,

The section is all fine up to the end. After the story, you read, "End of Uncle Wiggily's Fortune, by Howard R. Garis" - which should be the end of section 31 (only). You should have said, "End of Uncle Wiggily and the Watermelon." Please record the proper ending, replace the one you had, and upload your section again. Alternatively, you could copy the "Uncle Wiggily and the Watermelon" you read at the introduction and edit that onto your "End of..." Editing mid-sentence gets tricky sometimes, though, so try whichever you feel most comfortable with.

By the way, the recording level for this section was just right. There was a bit of background noise visible on the meters and in the waveform (and to the 'Checker' program), but to the ears it's no problem whatsoever.
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

Hello Rich,

Here is the corrected recording for Story 14 with the proper ending. Let me know if it's still not right. I always knew that someday I would record the "end of book" sentence instead of the "end of section (story)" sentence!

Duration is now 8:58

Thanks,
Kathi

PS My recording area is a work in progress. I'd love to know if you have any suggestions on getting rid of background noise in my recordings.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kgrreader wrote:Hello Rich,

Here is the corrected recording for Story 14 with the proper ending. Let me know if it's still not right. I always knew that someday I would record the "end of book" sentence instead of the "end of section (story)" sentence!

Thanks,
Kathi

PS My recording area is a work in progress. I'd love to know if you have any suggestions on getting rid of background noise in my recordings.
Thank you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Regarding noise: from the wiki...
Background Noise
There are many effective ways of removing background noise once you have got it, but of course, it is better if you can avoid the noise in the first place. Noise Prevention will give you some tips to help you make cleaner recordings and save you a lot of bother.
However, if you have taken all those steps and you still have annoying background noise, here are some ideas:

Q: I can use compressor but it brings up the quiet parts so that the background noise is now at an unacceptable level, how can I fix this?
A: A gate/expander may help. Gates are like compressors, but instead of pulling down the loudest bits they pull down the quietest bits so a gate can push the background back to the background. Read how to use a gate here.

Q: My recording sounds nice but I can hear the computer cooling fan in the background.
A: A simple way to fix that is with a gate/expander. Read how to use a gate here. A better way is to use a noise reduction plugin. See the Noise Cleaning pages.

Q: There is a humming sound all across my recording. Is it scrap or can I fix it?
A: This is probably what we call mains hum. Mains supply in America is alternating current at 60 Hertz; in Europe it's 50 hertz. If the mains induces interference in your recorded signal, then it's at mains frequency and sometimes at the first harmonic of 100 or 120 hertz. See Equalisation (EQ) and mains hum removal for a perfect fix.
(you might want to look at the wiki so you can follow the links, which didn't copy :roll: ) http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Questions_and_Answers
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Or, if you're more adventurous and fancy a craft project... http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Make_a_Portable_Vocal_Booth (I don't know if anyone has actually done this here at LV, so can't vouch for its efficacy :lol: )
loon

Post by loon »

kgrreader wrote:Here is the corrected recording for Story 14 with the proper ending. Let me know if it's still not right. I always knew that someday I would record the "end of book" sentence instead of the "end of section (story)" sentence!

Kathi,

That does it!
Section 14 - "Uncle Wiggily and the Watermelon" - PL OK
Thanks for the chapter.
kgrreader wrote: PS My recording area is a work in progress. I'd love to know if you have any suggestions on getting rid of background noise in my recordings.
First off, don't worry too much about it. At a normal listening level the background noise is way, way down there.

If you do decide to worry about it anyway, there are a couple simple things you can do with Audacity - or pretty much any reasonable audio editing software - to reduce the noise a bit more.
1) When I listen to your closing 5 seconds of silence with my headphones cranked all the way up I can hear a small amount of 120 Hz hum - this is almost certainly from the power supply for your computer; it's two times the frequency of household AC power. Audacity has a notch filter effect - in my copy of Audacity it's in the 'Plug ins' section of the Effect pull down menu. You can set the notch filter Frequency to 120.0 and the 'Q' to something like 10.0. This filter will try to eliminate all sound exactly at 120 Hz and leave alone all sounds at higher or lower frequencies.
2) The other noise I can see - but not hear - in your recording is some very low frequency stuff, including a ripple down around 1 Hz - that's a frequency that's totally inaudible but can show up in the noise metering. Audacity has a High Pass filter (again in the Plug Ins for my version of Audacity). I tried setting the frequency at 20.0 Hz and the rolloff at 6 dB/octave - these are extremely cautious settings but pretty much guaranteed to have no audible effect on the voice part of your recording. I tried running the two filters I describe on your first recording and saved the result. That mp3 had a bit better than 6 dB less noise than the original. Since running the two filters takes around a minute - including the waiting time for the computer to process the effect - it's probably worthwhile.
3) Other people may need to worry about echoing sounds from the room they record in, rattles from refrigerators, meows, woofs, squaks from pets, traffic noises from outside, etc., etc. I didn't hear anything like that in your case, so you're golden.
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some information, Rich. I am going to try them out for my next recording! :D

Kathi
loon

Post by loon »

kgrreader wrote: PS My recording area is a work in progress. I'd love to know if you have any suggestions on getting rid of background noise in my recordings.
I forgot to mention---if you use a laptop to do your recordings you can eliminate 60 or 120 Hz hum by running on battery power for the duration of the recording session. Simple solution, right? Since so many people use a laptop for all their computing needs nowadays, why not?

I see you have the next section - Katy-Did - as well. I'm looking forward to listening to it.
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

And thank you, Lynnet, for the info you gave me (and the crafty project info)!

Kathi
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Story 17 is ready for PL