LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 12:12 pm

Post Posted:: March 25th, 2017, 7:08 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

The Dream of the Red Chamber, Book II by Xueqin Cao (c. 1724 - 1764). Translated by Henry Bencraft Joly (1857 - 1898).

Quote:
The Dream of the Red Chamber (also known as The Story of the Stone) is one of the Four Great Classical Novels of China, and considered the greatest of them all. Almost 40 main characters and some 500 minor characters tell the fortunes of the Chia family; the book details mainly the life of Chia Pao-yü, the heir apparent, who is described as very intelligent, but also as carefree and self-indulging. The already wealthy Chia family rises to new heights when Pao-yü's elder sister becomes an imperial consort. On her first visit home, a lush garden is built, where much of the rest of the story takes place. The intrigues surrounding Pao-yü and his cousins, especially Lin Tai-yü who he loves, and Hsüeh Pao-ch'ai who he is finally tricked into marrying, make up a large part of the story. The decline of the Chia family begins with the death of the imperial consort, and when they fall into disfavour with the emperor, their mansions and the garden are eventually destroyed.

The whole book has 120 chapters, only 80 of which were written by Cao Xueqin before his death in 1764. Cheng Weiyuan and Gao E claimed to have access to Cao's papers, and published what is now known as the Cheng-Gao version in 1791. Henry Bencraft Joly translated only part of the book written by Cao. Book I contains the first 24 chapters, Book II ends abruptly with chapter 56; a Book III was never published. ( Ava)

Any questions?
Please post below

Post Posted:: March 26th, 2017, 9:01 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Finally I have the time to set up the second book of "The Dream of the Red Chamber". It's (one of the four) Chinese Classics and worth having in our catalog. If anyone wants to read up as to what's going on, the first book is here: https://librivox.org/the-dream-of-the-red-chamber-book-i-by-xueqin-cao/

You don't have to speak Chinese for this one, but please have a listen to the main names of your chapter in the pronunciation guide. I am afraid that Jing is not here anymore to add to it or help with pronunciation if you have other questions, but we'll get through this. Eventually. :D

Have fun (and: DPL wanted!)

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: August 28th, 2017, 3:41 pm 

I would like to read Section 1. I am new and would like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue simply as "Ravi".

Post Posted:: August 28th, 2017, 4:37 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Ravi, and welcome to LV!

Thanks for waking this project from its sleep :thumbs:

Section 1 is all yours - note that it's only half of the chapter! There is a very, very long pronunciation guide for the main (!) characters, please refer to it as needed.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Have fun on here! :D

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: August 30th, 2017, 5:46 pm 

Hi Ava,

I am happy to try the whole chapter - I did not wan to be presumptuous the first time out. So please put my name down for Part 2 as well.

Post Posted:: August 30th, 2017, 8:50 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Ravi, please don't feel pressured to read all of it! I just wanted to make sure you stop where indicated, some people get very enthusiastic and read all of a chapter in one go, even if it is a one hour recording!

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: September 18th, 2017, 5:48 pm 

Hi Availle,

Here is the link to my recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/dreamredchamber2_01_cao_128kb.mp3

It is 27 min and 57.166s long.

Post Posted:: September 18th, 2017, 6:03 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Great thank you!

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll try to give you feedback as soon as possible! :D

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: September 22nd, 2017, 2:59 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Ravi,

I've just listened to your recording of the first section. Well done, I loved it! :clap:

There are three little things to fix though, please have a look/listen at:

15:06 sentence is cut off at "accident": this is simply a sadden and fleeting accident! -
17:09 two stumbles at "Exclusive of offerings of scented candles, several catties " both on the exclusive and the several
24:13 sentence is cut off at "liberally": reward you most liberally.
at the very end of the file, please leave 5 seconds of room silence.

Thanks a lot!
And let me know if you want to continue here! :D

--
AvailleAudio.com

Post Posted:: October 7th, 2017, 10:43 am 

Sorry for the delay Ava, I was travelling. I will read up on editing the file and resend. And yes, I will continue.