[COMPLETE] The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol 10 - LEGAL -pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 10, LEGAL.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-works-of-robert-g-ingersoll-volume-10-legal-by-robert-g-ingersoll/
For those who like courtroom drama, here are Ingersoll’s Opening and Closing arguments on the most famous trials of his career--the Star Route Trials which stretched over 2 years, revealing high government corruption in the U.S. Post Office system's westward expansion. Ingersoll was lead counsel for the defense. Compiled from countless reports and endless conflicting details (much like untangling a huge pile of fishing line), it was said that his prodigious memory of the minutest details without referring to the record, knowledge of the law, impregnable logic, forensic power, lucidity, almost infallible judgment, remarkable ability as an orator that kept the courtroom spellbound; his uniform fairness, tact, candor, humor, and matchless summing up, are vividly captured in these transcripts. "He absolutely made no mistakes", said one federal judge. This volume also contains 3 shorter trial summations: the Munn Trial, the Davis Will Case, and the Russell Case. This is the entirety of Volume X, Dresden Edition, pub. 1900. ~ Summary by Michele Fry, Read by Librivox volunteers.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5 below. All Sections without names beside them are "up for grabs." NOTE: If one story is divided into two or three sections, for consistency sake, please consider reading them all. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section(s) you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6 thru 8 below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do a claimed section, for whatever reason, just let the BC know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38813 (From there, find the link to Volume X)
    5. If this is your first recording, please let the BC know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
      Level of prooflistening: special – (I will DPL all sections except for my own, and will follow along with the text).
      Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening!

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
      Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      NOTE TO READERS: To ensure uniformity throughout the project, please pronounce "Indicted as "in-dye-ted", and "Indictment" as “in-dyte-ment.”

Record between 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Make sure you add this INTRO to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (INTRO).
      • "Chapter #, Part # (as shown in MW) of The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll –Volume 10, Ingersoll’s [TITLE AS SHOWN IN THE BOOK, NOT THE ABBREVIATED TITLE IN THE MW] (for example, Ingersoll’s CLOSING ADDRESS TO THE JURY IN THE FIRST STAR ROUTE TRIAL), Part # of # (Ex, Part 5 of 7) This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say here, or at the end: "Read by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
        Then say: Part #. (Part 5) Then read the text.
        OUTRO: This ends Chapter #, Part # of # (ex. Part 5 of 24) (for the last part, just say End of Chapter #)
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of "The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 10 – Legal."
      There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of each recording.
      Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as MP3, 128kbps
      Save your file as: (best to copy and paste the bold text below):
      rgingersollvol10legal_##_ingersoll_128kb (all lower-case) where ## is the Section Number
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags It is not necessary to add ID3 tags (it happens automatically at cataloging). However, if you would like to do it, this is how.
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message).
      Please mind upper and lower case! It is best to copy and paste!
      Artist: Robert G. Ingersoll
      Title: as shown in MW
      Album: The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 10 - LEGAL
      Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will see a link - please copy and paste it in this thread, along with the file duration: (mm:ss). BC will come along and paste it into the MW (Magic Window), Proof Listener will listen and get back to you with any corrections.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      BC - Michele Fry (msfry)
      MC – Phil Chenevert
      DPL - Michele Fry
      Cover Claim - Michele Fry
      Any questions?
      Please post below or PM the BC
Last edited by msfry on February 6th, 2019, 12:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi - I would be happy to MC this for you. Will set it up tonight. :D
EDIT: what special kind of prooflistening? Just to follow along with the text? I mean this is not word perfect, right?
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oh, Thank you thank you, Phil. "Special" just means I will read along with the text and point out if anything is missing. No, not Word Perfect.

I've got all the chapters ready for the MW, and have already begun recording the Munn Trial myself. It is so exciting to read Ingersoll again. Several other readers are waiting for this project. Perhaps you'll join in too. BTW, thank you for the referral to the leader of the Freethought Society of Baton Rouge. I've been in touch and plan to attend a meeting and introduce them to LV's collections.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Michele, there is no place in the first post to put the code that generates the Magic window. It normally is right after the PL section and looks like
[MW]xxxx[/MW]

Did you perhaps erase it by accident?
EDIT: I stuck it in myself and it seems to have worked fine.
msfry

Post by msfry »

No idea about that. Are we good to go, or not?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote:No idea about that. Are we good to go, or not?
Yes. I added it back manually and it seemed to work. The template has it built in but it was missing and confused me.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I tried to add myself in as a reader and it got stuck going round and round for an hour and wouldn't work.

EDIT. It's working fine now. I must have pushed the wrong button :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote:I tried to add myself in as a reader and it got stuck going round and round for an hour and wouldn't work.

EDIT. It's working fine now. I must have pushed the wrong button :D
Please let me know if anything else seems strange or odd, it may be necessary to start fresh. Let's hope not, eh?.
EDIT: I will leave this in the Launch Pad for few days to let more people see it, is that OK? or would you prefer moving it to Readers Wanted?
msfry

Post by msfry »

I have filled in the MW just now and it all "took" just fine. So I presume it's all okay. Let me check it over tomorrow when I'm not so tired before we try moving it to readers wanted.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I would like to volunteer for section 3 - which should be Chapter 2, Part 1 of CLOSING ADDRESS TO THE JURY IN THE FIRST STAR ROUTE TRIAL, (Part 1 of 7).
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Roger, you're in the MW. :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have begun reading "Closing Address to the Jury in the Second Star Route Trial".
Fascinating!

I would like to claim parts 15, 16, 17 and 18.

For Mr. Chenevert:
"Pardon my flatulence," said Tom astutely.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

For Mr. Chenevert:
"Pardon my flatulence," said Tom astutely.
Oh My Goodness!! That is one of the best I've ever heard! thank you very much. Image
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Bill. You're in the MW for 15 - 18. 8-)
smike

Post by smike »

Hi Michele, sign me up for section 38. I'm afraid all the others are way too long for me. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...