(COMPLETE) A Lover's Diary, by Gilbert Parker - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

39 - 45 are PL OK.
On 44, I went ahead and moved your "Egyptian Proverb" phrase to before the proverb, then added this note to the First Post, (which I had forgotten to put in before).
NOTE: If you run into an Egyptian Proverb, please say "Egyptian Proverb" BEFORE you read the proverb, not after as it appears in the text.

I also copied and pasted the title in again just before you read the poem, as specified in the First Post: "Repeat Title. Read the poem."
It was easy for me to do this as I had the files open already, and sounds perfect.
elizabeth210

Post by elizabeth210 »

Thank you MsFry for doing that. :lol:
elizabeth210

Post by elizabeth210 »

Michele,
I joined about a month ago and I haven't yet done a PL, but I could learn :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

elizabeth210 wrote:Michele,
I joined about a month ago and I haven't yet done a PL, but I could learn :)
It isn't that hard, and the instructions are linked to in the First Post. Why don't you read those then let me know. I like doing it. PL'ers get an advanced ticket to listen to stuff before anyone else can, and to listen a bit more closely, and get to know other readers a bit better, and the service is indispensable to help LV lower the chances for technical errors to slip in. I can coach you.

You handled your sections like a pro, by the way. I thought you'd been here forever! :lol:
elizabeth210

Post by elizabeth210 »

Hi Michele,
I think I just completed my first PL.
It was a pleasure listening to you btw :)
2 Things though:

Section 71, At the last stanza you read it as "Our" world. It should read " Your" world. ( I hope I am not knit-picking).

And secondly, in the Magic Window Section 79 and 78 are uploaded in the incorrect order. The recordings are read and numbered correctly.

Everything else is perfect and PL OK ! :clap:
msfry

Post by msfry »

elizabeth210 wrote:Hi Michele,
I think I just completed my first PL.
It was a pleasure listening to you btw :)
2 Things though:

Section 71, At the last stanza you read it as "Our" world. It should read " Your" world. ( I hope I am not knit-picking).

And secondly, in the Magic Window Section 79 and 78 are uploaded in the incorrect order. The recordings are read and numbered correctly.

Everything else is perfect and PL OK ! :clap:
Nope, not knit-picking, as it doesn't quite make sense otherwise. And poetry is often PL'd Word Perfect, especially if the lines are famous or often quoted.

Here is the corrected file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_71_parker_128kb.mp3 1:26

Generally the PL'er cites the time where the error is noticed. It helps the reader find it, and helps the PL'er spot check the corrections. Doesn't much matter on a short poem, but on a longer file it becomes essential. So your PL note might have gone like this:

1:06 your world and mine, I hear our

One more thing. To save wear and tear on LV's system, I usually download the file to my computer in a Proof Listeners folder, then listen at my leisure rather than stream it off the website. I do this by right clicking the link and choosing Save Target As.

So now you spot check my file, and if it is correct, you post a notice to this forum something like 71 is PL OK. If it is still not right, you can cite more errors. The most usual one is that the reader uploaded the old file rather than the corrected one, or didn't correct all the errors cited.

Okay, M'Lady. 12 more to go! :D
elizabeth210

Post by elizabeth210 »

Michele,
71 is PL OK ! Read beautifully !
Thank you so much for your help in PL.
One more thing, does the PL of a project change the MW to say PL OK?
If so, how do I do that?
msfry

Post by msfry »

elizabeth210 wrote:Michele,
71 is PL OK ! Read beautifully !
Thank you so much for your help in PL.
One more thing, does the PL of a project change the MW to say PL OK?
If so, how do I do that?
Only the DPL, the BC, and the MC are set up to change the MW. As you are PL'ing my pieces only, you don't need to worry about the Magic Window. I'll take care of that.

Do keep asking questions as needed, and thanks for helping me out.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi Bill, welcome back. It's been awhile.

PL Notes Section 2
Opening silence is required to be between .5 and 1 second, per LV requirements.
Volume extremely low, recommend amplifying +3.5
Ending silence needs shortening to 5 seconds, per LV requirements.
And while you are making these adjustments, could I persuade you to just say "2", rather than "Number 2", which triggers me to giggling immediately, not the most appropriate way to get into such a somber poem. (I am ashamed to admit this childish reaction to Number 1 and Number 2, but that's why I specified just the actual number be spoken.) :oops:
Otherwise, Above The Din was very nicely read. I tried to read it myself, but wasn't able to pull it off so I put it back into the pool. You did a great job interpreting it! :thumbs:

Volume extremely low, recommend amplifying +3.5
Ending silence needs shortening to 5 seconds, as per LV requirements.
Again, very nicely interpreted. :thumbs:

I enjoyed listening to your rendition of both these poems. I hope you will choose to read some more of them. There are certainly plenty to choose from.

Once you have made these adjustments, upload your files again just as before, using the same file names, and post the links in this forum with the new times, so I can check them again.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Hello Michele,

The instructions in the first post say the lead-in silence should be "no more than .5 to 1 second of silence", which I interpreted to mean leading silence should not be too lengthy.

In my 02_parker file, the leading silence is about 0.2 seconds. That seems to meet the stated standard.
In my 25_parker, the lead-in is 0.6 seconds. I'm not clear about this. It is certainly less than 1.0 seconds.

Please give me your guidance in interpreting the specifications for lead-in silence. :help:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Bill, by my few years of experience with LV, I know it is somewhere between .5 and 1 second, enough for the listener's brain to tune in. .2 seconds is not considered enough. A linguist would not have worded it that way. But that's why God gave us intuition. :wink:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have uploaded parker #02 and #25 a second time:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_02_parker_128kb.mp3
Length 1:13

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_25_parker_128kb.mp3
Length 1:22

The trailing silences have been cut to 5 seconds.
The audio amplified by 3.5.
"Number" has been cut from 02_parker.

No change made to the lead-in silence until further instructions are sent to me.

Thank you for your earlier, generous comments.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

<sigh> I have uploaded parker #02 and #25 a THIRD time:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_02_parker_128kb.mp3
Length 1:13

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_25_parker_128kb.mp3
Length 1:22

About the lead-in silence:
I'm a lot smarter now than I was a while ago, thanks to Michele.

The lead-in silence in both files is now about 0.75 seconds.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison