2017 US Solar Eclipse

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, excitement is really starting to build around here for the upcoming solar eclipse . . .

I will be at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago as a volunteer, hoping for a clear day and passing out eclipse glasses and whatever else they ask me to do. We will experience between 80 and 90% eclipse in Chicago.

What are others doing to mark the day?

MaryAnn
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we wont see it here i guess, but we had a partial lunar eclipse a couple of days ago. it was really amazing, looking at an overcast sky while shivering in the drizzle :roll: :lol:
Carolin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

We'll only get a very partial shadow in Texas. But my city is sponsoring some kind of eclipse party anyway. There'll be solar glasses and snow cones and whatnot, and I don't think I'm doing anything, so I'll probably go.

We're looking forward to 2024, when we'll have a solar eclipse going right over us. :)
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

We're getting the partial eclipse in Tampa Bay, but it'll probably happen during a thunderstorm so no one will notice. :mrgreen:
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I haven't decided what we'll do-- my husband and I talked about going camping for the occasion, but then we realized it's the first day of the semester so not the best timing for such an outing. we will hopefully find a place to see it and enjoy the spectacle somehow or other.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Eclipse (noun): the act of the sun being mooned.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

We'll only get 20% coverage, should just make the overall color a little bland.

I'll try to force myself to observe it at the beach. Oh, how I suffer.
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
Alomentis

Post by Alomentis »

I am in little Idaho Falls ID, where we will be getting 100% coverage. My small town of maybe 50,000 is expecting an additional 500,000 visitors for the eclipse. Things are going to get a little crazy around here.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Alomentis wrote:I am in little Idaho Falls ID, where we will be getting 100% coverage. My small town of maybe 50,000 is expecting an additional 500,000 visitors for the eclipse. Things are going to get a little crazy around here.

I am so jealous! We are supposed to have no more than 70% coverage, but the problem with living by the beach is FOG! I hope the fog will just happen to not show up that day, then I will get to see it. I am still looking for some solar film sheets so I can get the telescope out and watch it that way. I think I am going to have to suffer with solar glasses! :9:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yeah! Ava found a book about eclipses!
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=67054
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Right, I knew I should mention it somewhere...

Thanks MaryAnn! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Apparently where I am (I don't know if this is like elsewhere) we were told by the news to keep blinds shut and don't look at the eclipse without special NASA glasses. Even sun glasses won't be enough. :shock:
carteki

Post by carteki »

pjcsaville wrote:Apparently where I am (I don't know if this is like elsewhere) we were told by the news to keep blinds shut and don't look at the eclipse without special NASA glasses. Even sun glasses won't be enough. :shock:
Yep - thats been the rule at least since my first eclipse in the late '80's!
I am so jealous! We are supposed to have no more than 70% coverage, but the problem with living by the beach is FOG! I hope the fog will just happen to not show up that day, then I will get to see it. I am still looking for some solar film sheets so I can get the telescope out and watch it that way. I think I am going to have to suffer with solar glasses! :9:
Back in the day we were told to watch through old x-ray films... do you have any of those floating about?

Kim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

pjcsaville wrote:Apparently where I am (I don't know if this is like elsewhere) we were told by the news to keep blinds shut and don't look at the eclipse without special NASA glasses. Even sun glasses won't be enough. :shock:
You don't have to keep the blinds shut. It's just the sun. I think that's more to keep kids from looking directly at the sun.

But yeah - do not look directly at the sun without special, NASA approved glasses. It's the SUN. Like a magnifying glass focuses the sun's rays to burn paper, your eyes will focus the sun's rays - even during an eclipse - to permanently burn your retinas.

I heard a trick that I'll be trying. Stand with your back to the sun. Point binoculars at the sun over your shoulder, and direct the eyepieces to paper or something light colored. You'll be able to see two suns - one from each eyepiece.

I had dreams about the eclipse last night. I'm getting excited. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

I saw on Facebook (so obviously it MUST be true lol) that if you stand with your back to the sun and use your phone over your shoulder with the camera on selfie mode you can see it. Would that work or would the light reflection still kill the retinas? lol

I understand that looking at the sun is harmful on any day, but the eclipse is supposed to be brighter than normal, right?