[COMPLETE] The Clue by Carolyn Wells

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

The Clue by Carolyn Wells (1862 - 1942).

This project is now in the catalogue. All audio files can be found on our catalogue page:
https://librivox.org/the-clue-by-carolyn-wells/

Once Carolyn Wells began, or re-invented her writing career, 'The Clue' was her initial book which strayed from children's writings into mysteries and detective stories. It is also when we are introduced to her most famous of detectives, Fleming Stone.

On the eve of her wedding day, Madeleine Van Norman, a beautiful young lady who is soon to come into her family fortune is found dead, apparently stabbed with an ominous blood-stained letter opener found nearby. There is nobody within the household who is not considered a suspect by the police, but how could a killer have slipped through the doors of Madeleine’s locked bedroom? It must have been suicide, as a note was found lying on a table near her body. Or was it? An intriguing mystery ensues which hinges on the discovery of a single, all-important clue. (Roger Melin)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54869
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction
    Keywords that describe the book: Detective, Mystery, whodunit, fleming stone
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Clue. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Clue, by Carolyn Wells. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Clue by Carolyn Wells. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Clue, by Carolyn Wells. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename clue_##_wells_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. clue_01_wells_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags are not necessary.
    Enter section/chapter titles in the MW. Author and book title will be set automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: darvinia
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Roger on August 28th, 2017, 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Hi Roger,

I will MC this for you. I will set it up later today but you can upload to my folder if you have files sooner.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

I would love to PL this if you'll have me!
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
Roger

Post by Roger »

Bev - thank you. I won't have anything ready to upload for a few days probably.

Holly - Welcome aboard! I look forward to working with you, and hope you enjoy the book. :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Thanks, Roger! I'm sure I will. Can't wait to start listening! :D
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

All set up. Thanks Holly, you're in as DPL. Let me know if I've missed anything.

I'll move us to Going Solo.

Have fun! :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Bev. Time to get this one rolling!

Chapter 1 has been posted, ready for a listen.

Thanks! :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Chapter 1 PL OK! :clap: Excellent!

Roger, since I'm a new proof listener, here is a question: If there are a couple of instances of saying the wrong word, would you want me to point it out or just let it slide? They're not important and don't change the meaning or anything, but I'll leave it up to you if you want me to say anything or not. I don't want to be a nitpicker, but I don't want to NOT say anything if the reader would prefer that I DO say something. I'm only asking because I think I'm the sort of reader who would want to know and then make the call myself as to whether I'd like to change it.

One instance was "Mr. Norman" instead of "Mr. Van Norman" (4:05), and the other was "effort" instead of "effect" (15:51).

Both are very microscopic and unimportant, so if tiny things like that don't bug you, I won't mention them at all next time. :) I know the standard for proof-listening is to ignore tiny things like that, but I thought I'd give you the option of deciding for yourself. Either way is fine with me! :)
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the fast turnaround, and for inquiring on preferences.
My simple answer: I'm just like you. I would prefer to know of any errors. I usually correct them if I'm aware of them. I really should select 'word perfect' in the PL section of the initial post, and sometimes I do. Sometimes I select 'special'. (Don't you hate us unpredictable folks?) :lol:

Anyway, I thank you for your attention to detail, I know it takes up a lot of time. PLers don't get the credit they deserve! I will upload a corrected version of chapter 1, probably tomorrow (Wednesday).

Thanks so much again!! :thumbs:
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Oh, wow! I didn't even know there were preferences for the readers to select. Live and learn!

OK, glad to know you're as much of a perfectionist as I am! :D I'll let you know of any tiny thing I find and then let you make the final decision. You're the boss! :D
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

Okay, thanks. These were both excellent finds!
Each has been corrected, and the file has been re-uploaded, if and when you care to do a spot PL.

Thanks!! :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Seamlessly fixed!

Chapter 1 PL OK! :clap:
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 2 has been posted.
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Chapter 2 PL OK!

Excellent! :clap:
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

Thank you.

Chapter the third has now been posted.