Alomentis reporting for duty

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Alomentis

Post by Alomentis »

Hello, I'm a long time LibriVox listener who has always wanted to record. I'll be honest, one of the main reasons I want to record is because there are so many chapters that I listen to that are so blasted difficult to understand! I love it when there is a crisp and clear reader that is easy to understand; but more often than not, they only do one chapter, and the next 6 have such thick accents that I miss half the book. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Note that this isn't a criticism of LibriVox, as I absolutely love what is being done here!

I can honestly say that LibriVox has saved my life on many occasions! My favorite nap time happens to be while I'm driving, and nothing except LibriVox has been able to keep me awake. I can listen to music, and have the windows down, and even be singing at full volume and still drift off... but if I've got a book on, my mind is sharp and awake. My wife hates it, because for some reason she isn't a fan of listening to The Wars of the Jews by Josephus. But for some reason, that's what keeps me up.

Anyway, I hope I can in some way add to what is already being done here. I haven't got my computer set up just yet, but I will soon. I've got some professional recording equipment (I record music) so that should help out quite a bit I suspect.

Thanks for having me,

Alomentis
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome to LibriVox.
You know - we all are happier listening to accents we hear around us, and in some ways it's a disadvantage being born in the USA . We listen to American and British films and TV all the time so our ears get better trained. I'm not saying I understand easily all versions of English we have here but there are very few that I can't . And some of them are native speakers. And isn't it great that so many people in the world speak English? And thank you all for adding to the choice of books for me to download :D

Anne
Alomentis

Post by Alomentis »

Ya know, I think the only one I really have a hard time with is the cockney accent! But occasionally someone will have a real difficult slur that I can't quite pick up on.