Statistics

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

A note today of another LV member's passing made me look up world death rate. Did you know, that it is about 8 deaths per 1000 population?

Given that we have more than 60,000 members, and assuming there are very few duplicates, then about 500 (five hundred!) of those who have signed up in the last 12 years are no longer living.

It's startling (or what is the right word?)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I often wonder what has happened to regulars who suddenly disappear mid project, I'm sure there are deaths we don't hear about. So it's not we don't appreciate their efforts, we just don't know about them.

Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I wanted to make sure that was 8 deaths per thousand per year, and looked the phrase up on wikipedia. It's alarming that the corresponding birth rate is 18.5 per 1,000 per year.

Part of being a friend with someone is sharing some of your interests or ways of thought. The people that get involved in LibriVox become a network of friends through the work we do for each other and through sharing our experiences, senses of humour and so on, mostly without actual contact. It's sad to watch our friends fall back into the earth we come from.

I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Peter Why wrote:I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.
I don't want to be flippant, but I had to re-read this sentence..... My brain interpreted that word as "executioners" the first time through.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

In my case, he may well be my executioner, as he has Power of Attourney over my health status!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Peter Why wrote: I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.
That's a good idea - I don't think my husband would be in any fit state to login here and tell people that I've died, even though he does have an account here. The executor is a better choice.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've been to quite a few funerals in the past year or two, and it's got me, of course, thinking about my own life and death. I'm only in my thirties, no kids, and haven't yet gotten around to making a will or any of that stuff. (Soon.)

But one thing I have decided on, because LV has become such a large part of what I am and do, is to make an audio clip to be played at my funeral. I'll be combing through some of what I've already read for LV and finding passages that speak of death, heaven, etc, and cutting them together as a kind of message from me to those who'll be attending.

I've been thinking about my stepdad a lot tonight, who died about 4 1/2 years ago. So I'm going to start this little project of mine tonight, I think.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Ahh, Dev... Make some babies. :lol: Your voice needs to be passed on :lol: I’m only 16 and I am an Aunt to 10 kidderojos (and my sister is due any day! :D :D ). If you don’t then is there that much point making a will, as that is kinda who it’s for. My brother was married at 16 and has 6 kids and probably more on the way. Our culture is too afraid of kids. :?

I think our lives always have to be lived thinking about the end of it...and obviously the consequences. What are we producing and who is it for? I find personally I have to fight this agenda that is so strong in this day and age, of living life for yourself. I think we have a mandate to reflect Gods standard, and that is complete service and love to others. And really when we look at our lives truthfully we are forced to admit that it is rare we are selfless, if ever. So true joy or happiness has to come through giving up our time and lives to be transparent so others can challenge what we are doing. I find fear causes us to make everything acceptable instead of evaluating whether it’s even right or wrong.

I’m not sure why I went off on that tangent, but I guess if we’re talking about it, that is how I think of it. We’re here for a reason, we already know it doesn’t work and we fail and sin horribly. I think God gives us a way out by actually talking about it, and admitting the wrong and that is actually how we revenge it all. However, we get so fearful of stepping out of the box and looking stupid. Which is probably how I seem now. But is everyone else really better off for staying in it?
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 12:09 am Your voice needs to be passed on :lol: I’m only 16 and I am an Aunt to 10 kidderojos (and my sister is due any day! :D :D ). If you don’t then is there that much point making a will, as that is kinda who it’s for.
Thanks for the compliment. I truly appreciate it. However, if we do have children one day (which we hope to do), it will most probably be through adoption.

I still think the time has come to start getting my end of life paperwork in order, kids or no kids. I'm only in my thirties, but that doesn't mean I'm guaranteed another 40 or 50 years of life. And I want to make things as easy for my husband as they can reasonably be, in the event of my death. He shouldn't have to deal with legal stuff as well as grieving his wife.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

To maintain the integrity of healthy discussion it should be honest. I thoughtfully wrote to Devorah on an open forum with the purpose of exploration, help, and encouragement.

A couple people wrote to berate me on her behalf. (One publicly, which was then removed, and another privately). It was dishonest to privately chide me on the grounds of representing Devorah. We all need the opportunity and accountability to speak for ourselves. Growth comes from challenge and discomfort; answers often come from the most unlikely and scorned upon places.

I value you all, especially those who disagree with me, because that is what clarifies things the most. Let’s have patience to keep things transparent and free.

Her gracious response was great mothering that will live on through me. And, I will still appreciate the fact that all your parents had kids. :D
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

mightyfelix wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:54 pm
I still think the time has come to start getting my end of life paperwork in order, kids or no kids. I'm only in my thirties, but that doesn't mean I'm guaranteed another 40 or 50 years of life. And I want to make things as easy for my husband as they can reasonably be, in the event of my death. He shouldn't have to deal with legal stuff as well as grieving his wife.
Interesting - I attended a superannuation seminar a few years ago. The presenter looked over the audience of sixty or so people and observed: "Do you realize that 25 percent of you will probably live to a hundred?"

The chances are that you will be with us for many decades to come. Live long and prosper!

And record lots.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by mightyfelix »

Algy Pug wrote: November 8th, 2018, 3:17 pm
The chances are that you will be with us for many decades to come. Live long and prosper!

And record lots.

Cheers
Thanks very much! That's exactly what I have every intention of doing. But with the understanding that I have no guarantee. :)
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Does anyone ever wonder why it is that when you look at the LibriVox member list and around 3/4 of them have zero posts? Maybe this is why. :cry: :( :( :cry:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Bookworm360 wrote: July 24th, 2020, 10:51 am Does anyone ever wonder why it is that when you look at the LibriVox member list and around 3/4 of them have zero posts? Maybe this is why. :cry: :( :( :cry:
More likely it's people that think they have to sign up for the forum to listen to recordings.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

For myself, I would prefer to posit a conspiracy theory, but... Well, TriciaG is probably right.