Clearing cache?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The proof-listener for one of my solos is finding that when she tries to download one of my corrected files for spot PL, she's seeing the original, unedited file. I've checked that the edited file is actually on the server by downloading it myself.

I know that once this could have been due to a browser using an old file of the same name from its cache, to save on download time, but I don't know if that still happens, with more efficient browsers and improved bandwidth available. How can we find out what's happening?

Thanks,
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know. That's weird.

You could name it something different, putting it in the MW that way. Then at cataloging time remind your MC to fix file names. (It's one or two clicks to rename all the files correctly, so it's not a huge deal if you don't have them all perfect at cataloging time.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Peter Why wrote: I know that once this could have been due to a browser using an old file of the same name from its cache, to save on download time, but I don't know if that still happens, with more efficient browsers and improved bandwidth available. How can we find out what's happening?

Thanks,
Peter
Yes, it still happens to me. It happened just today and I had to clear recent history to get the updated file. But I am not using the newest Firefox version.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

TriciaG wrote:I don't know. That's weird.

You could name it something different, putting it in the MW that way. Then at cataloging time remind your MC to fix file names. (It's one or two clicks to rename all the files correctly, so it's not a huge deal if you don't have them all perfect at cataloging time.)
That's a good idea for this . I always rename the files anyhow just in case something slipped through. But it would be good to fix it for her

Anne
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I had this happen to me using Firefox a few weeks ago. I switched to Chrome and was able to download the file correctly, so it was clearly a Firefox thing.
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, everyone; this has been sorted out with a change in browser.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger