COMPLETE Prodigal Daughters by Joseph Hocking-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Prodigal Daughters by Joseph Hocking (1860 - 1937).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/prodigal-daughters-by-joseph-hocking/
A frank look at the revolt of the younger generation following World War I, the book follows the Trelawney family. The father looks eagerly forward to his return home after serving an important but harrowing stint in the army. What he finds at home is not what he expects, as his two daughters test the boundaries of new morals, ethics, and dress. Many of the generational and class issues central to the theme continue to resonate in families and society. The book was made into a silent movie starring Gloria Swanson in 1923. ( Kate Follis)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/prodigaldaughte00hockgoog
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Prodigal Daughters. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Prodigal Daughters, by Joseph Hocking. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Prodigal Daughters by Joseph Hocking. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Prodigal Daughters, by Joseph Hocking. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename prodigaldaughters_##_hocking_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prodigaldaughters_01_hocking_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by queenk8 on August 9th, 2017, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

FYI, I as someone in Canada (outside the US) cannot access the text from the Google Books link.

Here is the exact same scan on Archive: https://archive.org/details/prodigaldaughte00hockgoog

It would probably be better to use that link so we outsiders can access the text. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

TriciaG wrote:FYI, I as someone in Canada (outside the US) cannot access the text from the Google Books link.

Here is the exact same scan on Archive: https://archive.org/details/prodigaldaughte00hockgoog

It would probably be better to use that link so we outsiders can access the text. ;)
I agree and have edited to change it - however, that version is missing the first two pages and links back to the google version which is complete. Is the best thing to do to note that for the proof listener when submitting the first chapter?
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kate,
Happy to MC this for you. I'll get it set up.
We've got your note in the project thread, so go ahead and read the missing pages from the google source. Please also post the link to the text on google here so that the CPL has it if they want to follow with the text during PLing (not all DPLs follow the text, but some like to).
MaryAnn

Edit: Here's the google link: https://books.google.com/books?id=VC0gAAAAMAAJ&oe=UTF-8
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. You'll need to start by entering section (or chapter) titles. I've put in the first couple to get you started. Please use two single quotes '' to replace the double quotes " when you enter chapter titles in the MW. The double quotes will mess up the section titles at Archive.

Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - moderate length and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Kate,
Happy to MC this for you. I'll get it set up.
We've got your note in the project thread, so go ahead and read the missing pages from the google source. Please also post the link to the text on google here so that the CPL has it if they want to follow with the text during PLing (not all DPLs follow the text, but some like to).
MaryAnn

Edit: Here's the google link: https://books.google.com/books?id=VC0gAAAAMAAJ&oe=UTF-8
Thank you! I will advertise for a DPL and get this going. I'm pretty excited to launch my first solo work.
Kate Follis
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

This is too interesting. May I dpl?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

miss stav wrote:This is too interesting. May I dpl?
Yes please! That would be wonderful.
I'm not quite sure how I update to show you as DPL, but happy to have you.
Kate Follis
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Welcome Stav! I've put you in as DPL.

Does your computer allow you to update the PL status in the magic window? Or will you be simply noting the PL status in the thread? Sorry, I just don't remember.

Regards,

MaryAnn
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Yes, sure. Smile. MiI missed working with you
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Sections 1 and 2 are ready for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/prodigaldaughters_01_hocking_128kb.mp3
Time is 16:32

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/prodigaldaughters_02_hocking_128kb.mp3
Time is 20:41

If you are following along with the text, please note that I have discovered a couple of missing pages in the archive.org version and have had to reference the google version for those pages. Both links are in the thread, but please let me know if you get lost.
Kate Follis
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Will do my best to pl today.