COMPLETE[PLAY]Love and a Bottle by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I'm interested in the role of Rigadoon, the dancing master, but I'm a little confused. I thought that the stereotypical dance instructor of this era was French ... which would seem to be supported by the cadence he's speaking at the start of his speech ... but "Rigadoon" sounds Gaelic.

So does one play him as French-accented ... I'm sure Sonia is longing to hear that :roll: ... or is he more Frank Thring (the Hollywood Herod) ?

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I think of London as a cosmopolitan place with folks from many countries gathered together. So you can pick your accent as you wish.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:but "Rigadoon" sounds Gaelic.
if it sounds Gaelic, maybe you should make him Cornish, I'm sure you can pull that :mrgreen:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

perfect Leanne, thank you, both acts now PL ok

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

A Cornish dance instructor? But ... but ... where am I going to get a horse's skull, and burning tar barrels at such short notice?

You think I'm kidding, don't you? :D

Meet Penglaz ("Blue-Head"), star of the Golowan Festival: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiy0vWyUMMHmjd8uEMZ6H_kdfkrWyrw6LI8m_qfvt-6nJl_98r

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_dance

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:A Cornish dance instructor? But ... but ... where am I going to get a horse's skull, and burning tar barrels at such short notice?
You think I'm kidding, don't you? :D
Meet Penglaz, star of the Golowan Festival: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiy0vWyUMMHmjd8uEMZ6H_kdfkrWyrw6LI8m_qfvt-6nJl_98r
:shock: ah yes I see...well, maybe better leave out the props. But this sounds like it could become a highly interesting dancing master :mrgreen:

Sonia
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Might I have a go at Lyric?
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I've just realised that I can't do the dancing master with a French accent, as a closer reading of the text suggests that his would-be nemesis the fencing master is himself French.

This appears to be an English vs French match up between these two.

Chris
Roger

Post by Roger »

Bailiff 1 (act 3) uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveandabottle_bailiff1_3.mp3

1:05

Please let me know of any changes that may be needed or desired. Always willing to oblige. Thanks. :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:Bailiff 1 (act 3) uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveandabottle_bailiff1_3.mp3
1:05
Please let me know of any changes that may be needed or desired. Always willing to oblige. Thanks. :D
hehe yet another well acted officer of the law. I see this time you did not emphasize so much the sternness but rightly recognized that basically he is evidently one bailiff of the less bright persuasion, only thinking himself cunning :mrgreen: Thisis well fitting into the comedy aspect here. :thumbs:

PL ok, and thanks for helping out again !

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Rigadoon (Act 2) completed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveandabottle_rigadoon_2.mp3
Duration - 8:29

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Rigadoon (Act 2) completed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/loveandabottle_rigadoon_2.mp3
Duration - 8:29
:lol: excellent Chris, I wish I had the visuals of you trying to teach Mockmode the first dancing steps right at the beginning of the scene. Nice singing, at least you kept your rhythm ;) Tomas, you'd do well to listen to this "tal-dal-deral" as you have to repeat it a few times as well.

I can't help suspecting that Rigadoon is somehow taking the piss of Mockmode though :mrgreen: This will be a hilarious scene, I know so much already.

No errors found...well, you once said "hitting the target" instead of "hitting the mark", but that does not change the meaning, so I let it pass. I only wondered why you used that word. You did read from the correct source text, didn't you ? :hmm:

Anyway, Rigadoon absolutely PL ok.

Btw I loved the nasal tone you had in some sentences, mentioning "goes down well with the ladies", reminded me of the way Kenneth Williams was talking (sorry, Todd, that was a Carry On remark again, you will not understand :mrgreen: )

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"the nasal tone you had in some sentences, mentioning "goes down well with the ladies", reminded me of the way Kenneth Williams was talking"

Oh bravo! :D That was exactly who I was going for.

"Tomas, you'd do well to listen to this "tal-dal-deral" as you have to repeat it a few times as well."

You wouldn't know it to listen to me, but I was quite involved in the Sydney ballroom dancing scene between twenty to thirty years ago.

And I would just have all you aspiring students of the dance remember two things.

1. When I say "Begin on your left foot", I mean your OTHER left foot.

2. Gentlemen, your right hand goes at the small of the lady's back. Any lower than that, it just makes them go faster.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Oh bravo! :D That was exactly who I was going for.
:thumbs: well impersonated
You wouldn't know it to listen to me, but I was quite involved in the Sydney ballroom dancing scene between twenty to thirty years ago.
I would love to see a youtube video of that...but that was before the youtube times, I guess
Gentlemen, your right hand goes at the small of the lady's back. Any lower than that, it just makes them go faster.
no comment :roll:

Sonia