hello from sydney

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
axcel

Post by axcel »

hi there,
i'm a noob here on librivox, just saying hello

i have a little bit of experience recording voice. i'm dead keen to have a go at audio books, however.

all these old texts waiting to be voiced; they give me an excuse to start collecting again!

and, of course, a perfect reason to buy new audio gear...

mark
(user name, axcel)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

An excuse to start collecting again? A reason to buy new audio gear?

Perfectly sound motives for joining Librivox. Welcome.

And don't forget to ask questions if the introductory instructions don't answer them. And there are Phil Chenevert's helpful youtube videos.

Best,

Barbara
axcel

Post by axcel »

thanks, barbara
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Welcome, from another fellow Aussie! What kind of equipment are you looking at getting? Mine is sorely in need of an update.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome aboard and welcome back Ophelia :D . It's a good idea to do the 1 minute test when you're new and when you've got new equipment , just to do any tweaking needed ( And I still always cry when judy dies :( )

Anne
axcel

Post by axcel »

hi opheliad.

good to see another aussie here. i'm sure there is much australian literature we can add to the record.

i run a semi-professional rig at home with Adobe Audition on a Mac with a Rhode microphone and a couple of other bits and bobs. what i really need, ok, want, is some nice studio monitors. a friend gave me an old reel to reel recorder which i want to plumb in, just because it's ultra-cool, and...well, you get the idea.

shiny gear makes your voice sound better, right?
axcel

Post by axcel »

anne,
i will do that test. i've printed out the specs and set up a template. i completed a similar test for another outfit recently, so there should be no problems.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

People feel it's an audition, but it's not. We just need certain technical stuff to be able to use the files - I've always felt maybe we should call it a sound check :D
Anne
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

annise wrote:Welcome aboard and welcome back Ophelia :D . It's a good idea to do the 1 minute test when you're new and when you've got new equipment , just to do any tweaking needed ( And I still always cry when judy dies :( )

Anne
Ah, you remembered me! That's nice :D . It's been 11 years since recording that, and it still gets me every time, too! Yes, I'll be sure to do the test when I'm ready to go.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

axcel wrote:hi opheliad.

good to see another aussie here. i'm sure there is much australian literature we can add to the record.

i run a semi-professional rig at home with Adobe Audition on a Mac with a Rhode microphone and a couple of other bits and bobs. what i really need, ok, want, is some nice studio monitors. a friend gave me an old reel to reel recorder which i want to plumb in, just because it's ultra-cool, and...well, you get the idea.

shiny gear makes your voice sound better, right?
Oh, jealousy! My dad had a reel to reel so I grew up thinking they were normal. He used to record steam engine sounds, as well as to help others read for the blind in Adelaide for an organisation whose name escapes me at the moment. I can see that the Rode microphones vary a lot in price....looks like I have some research to do.