[COMPLETE]- Phra The Phoenician by Edwin Lester Arnold - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The Wonderful Adventures of Phra the Phoenician by Edwin Lester Arnold (1857 - 1935).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/phra-the-phoenician-by-edwin-lester-arnold

Phra, a Phoenician merchant and warrior, settles in the south of England as husband to Blodwen, a British princess. Slain during the Roman invasion, he reawakens several hundred years later to find that Blodwen has painstakingly tattooed the history of his family and village on his body. Slipping in and out of a state of suspended animation, Phra goes on to play his part in the departure of the Romans, the Norman conquest, and the Hundred Year's War. Meanwhile, Blodwen appears to Phra from time to time in ethereal form and in the guise of a succession of beautiful lovers. Expect adventure, battles, romance, mystery, commentary on the futility of war and, for those who continue to the end, some bad science in the form of an out-of-control steam-powered robot. Phra was first published as a serial in Illustrated London News, and later as a book in the United States and the United Kingdom. After languishing in obscurity for many years Phra's wonderful adventures were republished in the 1970s as the eleventh volume in the Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy Library. (Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/13293698.1551.emory.edu
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: time travel, English History

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Wonderful Adventures of Phra the Phoenician. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Wonderful Adventures of Phra the Phoenician, by Edwin Lester Arnold. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Wonderful Adventures of Phra the Phoenician by Edwin Lester Arnold. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Wonderful Adventures of Phra the Phoenician, by Edwin Lester Arnold. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename phra_##_arnold_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. phra_01_arnold_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by eggs4ears on May 8th, 2018, 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in!
Off LV 25-28 March.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You've forgotten to post the template ?. You should be able to add it to your first post.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up . Next step is yours. It looks interesting

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks!

I've just realised that there is an Introduction (read by his father, Edwin Arnold, who is in the LV catalog), but I said no to that question in the template. Does it matter?

Actually, it is one of those annoying introductions that summarises the book - not exactly a spoiler, but not far off. I would like to leave it out, but as it was in the original book, I think I should leave it in. The Prologue, on the other hand, is the beginning of the story.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You don't have to read introductions. [personal view] unless they are by the author or translator they are often pompous twits writing them [end of personal view]
Do you want the prologue to be section 0 , it's easy to do now , more difficult half way through though not impossible. ?

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I agree but I've already read it, so let's leave it in and call it 0. The prologue should be 1 because it is actually the beginning of the story told by Phra.

annise wrote:You don't have to read introductions. [personal view] unless they are by the author or translator they are often pompous twits writing them [end of personal view]
Do you want the prologue to be section 0 , it's easy to do now , more difficult half way through though not impossible. ?

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

First three sections ready for PL. As I am typing, I realise that I have probably got the file numbering wrong. I should have started at _00_, rather than _01_. Is that right?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_01_arnold.mp3 - 8:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_02_arnold.mp3 - 3:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_03_arnold.mp3 - 30:57

This book has also reminded me that we have an excellent recording of Jack London's The Jacket in the catalogue. A very different book, but a similar reincarnation through history premise.

https://librivox.org/the-jacket-or-star-rover-by-jack-london/

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes you should . Lets renumber them now.
You change the numbers on your home computer) and I'll change them in the uploader folder and the MW

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, I'll do that!
annise wrote:Yes you should . Lets renumber them now.
You change the numbers on your home computer) and I'll change them in the uploader folder and the MW

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Parts 0 and 1 are PL OK.
eggs4ears wrote:This book has also reminded me that we have an excellent recording of Jack London's The Jacket in the catalogue. A very different book, but a similar reincarnation through history premise.
I'm very glad that you've listened to The Jacket. There is a surprising amount of nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction that features reincarnation. Some of what I've read varies in quality, but if you run out of books from the Newcastle Library and want some ideas...
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

Two notes for chapter 1:

0.19-0.26. P. 2, second sentence of chapter. Repetition: This may tempt you to reply that one whose memory is so far-reaching and spacious as mine as mine will presently prove...

2.56-3.05. P. 3, final paragraph, mid-paragraph: ...and knew, as I stood there by her steering-oar [heard cloth], that she was stuffed with a hundred bales of purple cloth from my father's vats along the shore...

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I'm intrigued! Tell me more!
Newgatenovelist wrote: I'm very glad that you've listened to The Jacket. There is a surprising amount of nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction that features reincarnation. Some of what I've read varies in quality, but if you run out of books from the Newcastle Library and want some ideas...
Newgatenovelist

With pleasure - but you may regret it! Do you want a long post here or an email with it in the subject line?
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

You could post here, if you don't mind sharing with the world.