COMPLETE Fundamentals of the Christian Faith, Torrey - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

The Fundamental Doctrines of the Christian Faith by Reuben Archer Torrey (1856 - 1928).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-fundamental-doctrines-of-the-christian-faith-by-reuben-archer-torrey/

We were having a great many accessions to our church. While many of these came by letter form other churches, many of them were new converts and had had practically no systematic instruction in the fundamental truths of the Christina faith, so we announced a series of sermons on The Fundamental Doctrines of the Christian Faith. There was immediately a large increase in the attendance at the services where these addresses were given, and this increase has kept up until on the last Lord's Day we had much the largest attendance we have ever had, excepting Easter Sunday. Many have testified to the blessing received form these sermons, and there has been a great demand that the sermons be printed for general circulation. It is hoped that this volume will be useful to other pastors in suggesting lines of teaching in their regular pastoral work, and also that it may be used widely by pastors and others for circulation among Christians. We live in a day in which many of our church members are all at sea as to what they believe on the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith. These sermons have already helped many through their delivery. it is hoped they will reach and help far more in the printed form. (R. A. Torrey) ( )
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52648
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fundamental Doctrines of the Christian Faith. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Fundamental Doctrines of the Christian Faith, by Reuben Archer Torrey. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fundamental Doctrines of the Christian Faith by Reuben Archer Torrey. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Fundamental Doctrines of the Christian Faith, by Reuben Archer Torrey. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename fundamentaldoctrines_##_torrey_128kb.mp3
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegell
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Dear Potential PLers,

I am sorry to say, that the cicadas are now in full swing. You may hear them singing in the background off and on. I have cleaned my files and accept that a certain amount of their song will remain in the final recording, as cleaning it out entirely would be difficult. And yes, my house is closed up, it is that loud, even inside with the windows shut.

They will continue through August, and then be silent for another 10 months. It's a lovely reminder that the seasons come and go and there is much to appreciate when we take time to be mindful of the creation which surrounds us, outside of our office buildings and houses with central air.

MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks great, MaryAnn. I'd like to PL, please, if you'll have me. :)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Of course Devorah, happy to work with you.

I have a number of sections recorded, but that's only because I've been working on it behind the scenes for a while. So no rush on the PL side.

MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I went ahead and jumped in with the Preface, anyway, which is of course PL ok!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

At about 10:08, there is a minor stumble during, "the teaching is inescapable". The meaning is clear, however, so I'll call it PL ok if you don't want to mess with it.

At 34:48, you said, "and the other Bibles wrote." It should be, "and the other Bible writers wrote."
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

mightyfelix wrote:At about 10:08, there is a minor stumble during, "the teaching is inescapable". The meaning is clear, however, so I'll call it PL ok if you don't want to mess with it.

At 34:48, you said, "and the other Bibles wrote." It should be, "and the other Bible writers wrote."
Thanks Devorah. I've made both corrections and uploaded a new file.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, chapter 1 is PL ok. I've been out of town the last couple of days, but I'll try to get at least one more section PL'ed for you today. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chs. 2 and 3 are PL ok.

In my curiosity to know who was meant by "the Kaiser" (history was my worst subject), I did a little quick searching and found this guy. Interesting personality sketch.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Devorah. Yes, interesting guy!
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

4 is PL ok!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Devorah. Next two sections are ready when you have a chance.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

6 PL ok.

Just one point of clarification on Ch. 5: The section title is entered in the MW as "Jesus Christ as Real Man". You read the title as "Jesus Christ is a Real Man". But Gutenberg's table of contents lists it as "Jesus Christ a Real Man". I don't know how picky you want to be with that, and everything else is perfect, so again, this one is up to you whether or not you want to mess with it.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Devorah,
Thanks for catching that on 5. I've fixed the MW and the recording for the correct chapter title.
Couple of more sections ready for PL when you have time.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 5 PL ok.

Chapter 7:

At 14:57-15:03, delete phrase, "and at the same time He might be only the same person who manifested Himself at all times as the Father".