[COMPLETE] Uncle Wiggily's Fortune by Howard Garis - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Uncle Wiggily's Fortune by Howard R. Garis (1873 - 1962).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/uncle-wiggilys-fortune-by-howard-r-garis-2/

Howard Garis, one of the most prolific children's writers of the 20th century, is credited with writing over 1500 Uncle Wiggily stories, which originally appeared in the Saturday Evening Post. In this collection, we have 31 more charming bedtime stories in which the loveable old gentleman rabbit and his woodland friends entertain us. ( Lynne Thompson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54995
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Howard R. Garis) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_R._Garis
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 31
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1913
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book: nature, animals, woods, bedtime stories, rabbit, mischief

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Story [number] of Uncle Wiggily's Fortune. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Uncle Wiggily's Fortune, by Howard R. Garis. [Story #, name]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Story]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Uncle Wiggily's Fortune, by Howard R. Garis. "

There should be about 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    unclewiggilysfortune_##_garis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. unclewiggilysfortune_01_garis_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
loon

Post by loon »

Would you like a DPL? I'd be happy to do it.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

loon wrote:Would you like a DPL? I'd be happy to do it.
That would be great. Thank you.
loon

Post by loon »

Story 1 - "Uncle Wiggily and the Fox" - PL OK
Checker reports the volume as 87.1

And we're off!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The last Uncle Wiggily book I BCd filled up in a little over 24 hours. This one is slow :lol: These stories are great for Newbies... as well as anyone who wants to get in touch with their inner child :mrgreen:
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim 5, 6, and 7 please
Signature: KATHLEEN
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

2839reader wrote:Claim 5, 6, and 7 please
All yours! Enjoy 8-)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Story 2 is ready for PL.
loon

Post by loon »

Lynnet wrote:Story 2 is ready for PL.
Story 2 - "Uncle Wiggily and the Bird's Nest" - PL OK.

Uncle Wiggily manages two rescues in this chapter. Good on him.
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

loon

Post by loon »

Story 5 - Uncle Wiggily in a Boat" -
I heard two short sections with pretty severe buzz in the background. They are:
2:31-2:35 "there was no snow or ice now, as it was summer"
4:43-4:45 "if ever there's one to catch"
It's pretty jarring, and I think those phrases should be replaced. (Perhaps Lynnet can weigh in on this.)

-----

Story 6 - Uncle Wiggily at the Seashore" - PL OK

-----

Story 7 - Uncle Wiggily and the Lobster -
The silence at the beginning of the recording is approximately 1/3 second. Let me encourage you to make that closer to (but not exceeding) a full second in future recordings.

At 2:14-2:16 "but I didn't like to do it" - there is distortion just in this short phrase. I suspect you re-recorded this short chunk in another session and edited it in - I'm not sure why you got this electronic-sounding noise, and the buzzy sound in the two short parts of Story 5, when you didn't get it in the rest of your recording. The distortion in story 7 isn't severe enough to fail the story, so you get PL OK.

By the way, Checker reports the average volume of each of these three recordings is right in the middle of the LibriVox range (within 0.1 dB).
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Corrected section 5 buzz 2:31-2:34 and 4:43-4:45.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_05_garis_128kb.mp3
08:27
loon

Post by loon »

2839reader wrote:Corrected section 5 buzz 2:31-2:34 and 4:43-4:45.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_05_garis_128kb.mp3
08:27
Much better!
Story 5 - "Uncle Wiggily in a Boat" - PL OK

Thank you Kathleen.
julieanazer

Post by julieanazer »

Hi,

I was interested in recording #3 if its not yet claimed!