[COMPLETE] The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-winters-tale-by-william-shakespeare-2/
<I>The Winter's Tale</I>—one of Shakespeare's final plays—tells the story of two neighboring kings, Leontes of Sicilia and Polixenes of Bohemia. Friends since childhood, their relationship is put under a grave test when a maddened and jealous Leontes publicly accuses his beautiful wife, Hermione, of infidelity. Turbulent chaos engulfs Sicilia as Leontes' miscalculations devastate his family line, but in an unusual move, Shakespeare quickly turns the needle toward redemption with the growls of a bear and the passage of sixteen years, as announced by a personified Time. Whereas the first half of the play portrays the tragic downfall of a man who lets his emotions severely cloud his reasoning, the second half is one of pastoral revelry and natural reverence, set in the lush Bohemian countryside and marked by the purity of amorous youthfulness. In this setting, past sins are allowed to dissolve, the paths to redemption are opened, and fallen lives are given a glorious renewal, all of which leads to one of the most moving set pieces in the entire Shakespearean canon.<br><br>And to perform it all? Three men (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10289">Tony Addison</a>, <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/11305">Craig Franklin</a>, and <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10789">Tomas Peter</a>) and one woman (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10179">Sonia</a>), determined to give you a performance of this magical play that you will never forget. You thought you knew your Shakespeare? Well, think again! ( Tomas Peter)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1539/1539-h/1539-h.htm
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Plays/Romance

Keywords that describe the book: librivox, audiobooks, drama, romance, Shakespeare, the winter's tale

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Winter's Tale, by William Shakespeare. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    winterstale_[role]_[#_#].mp3 (all lower-case) where the first # is the act number and the second # is the scene number (e.g. winterstale_leontes_1_1.mp3).

For the final acts, save files as: winterstale_[#]_shakespeare_128kb, where the # is the act number (e.g. winterstale_1_shakespeare_128kb).

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by WiltedScribe on October 30th, 2017, 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

To the MC:

This is the second version of the play, and a continuation of the small-cast Shakespeares that were begun last year with A Midsummer Night's Dream and Twelfth Night, and then picked up again a few months ago with Cymbeline. Sonia (Kitty) will serve as the official DPL, and Tony (adonis) will be co-BC; please grant them access to the MW. Right now, everyone will be editing things scene-by-scene, and then Tony will apply his magic touch on the final acts.

I think that's all for now! If there are any questions, please feel free to ask. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay Tomas welcome back !!! Great, the new play can begin :9:

just getting this on my to-do-list

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
adonis

Post by adonis »

Tuning in.

Tony.
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

:clap:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Tomas,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up.

I am moving this over to Dramatic Works since all roles are claimed.

David O
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, David! :)

The MW is all set up, and I hope I didn't miss any roles. :shock: I guess that means everyone can begin submitting their files!
Tomas Peter
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_narrator_1_1.mp3 0:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_narrator_1_2.mp3 1:11
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_polixenes_1_2.mp3 7:31

OK, here is a start.
I'm not sure if the narrator has covered everything required or if it is how it is supposed to be read, so I intend to wait for feedback advice before doing anymore.

Polixenes I have just read straight, but if you want it read in the style of a one legged wood pecker I am really happy to give it a go. :D

Cheers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:I'm not sure if the narrator has covered everything required or if it is how it is supposed to be read, so I intend to wait for feedback advice before doing anymore.
I will have a listen to it later on, for the moment I need to catch up with some older PL jobs, sorry.
Polixenes I have just read straight, but if you want it read in the style of a one legged wood pecker I am really happy to give it a go. :D
:lol: I would have loved to hear this. Maybe you can find another character who would fit your woodpecker voice :mrgreen:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tomas, I just noticed you need to correct your narrator instructions ;)
If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Cymbeline, by William Shakespeare .

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:I'm not sure if the narrator has covered everything required or if it is how it is supposed to be read, so I intend to wait for feedback advice before doing anymore.
just listened to your narrator. All in all your neutral voice is quite good. It's important for those parts where you will speak right after the narrator, so we can differentiate.

I found a few things to correct though:

in Scene 1:

> at 0:01: Act 1 of The Winter's Tale, by William Shakespeare - you forgot to say Act 1 right at the beginning

> at 0:19: you need not repeat "The Winter's Tale" at this point, simply start with Act 1

> at 0:41: Exeunt - you say Exit

in Scene 2:

> at 0:15 / 0:32 / 0:38 and 0:42: Hermione - guys, a question, are we going to say "her-mee-oh-nee" ? Because I thought this name would be pronounced "her-mine-ee" :hmm: let's decide on this right from the start. Craig, maybe wait before you correct this. If the general consensus is to use your version, I'll bow to this decision.

> at 0:40: Exeunt... - again you say Exit

> at about 0:50: please insert one missed [Aside]

now on to Polixenes...

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Thanks for that.
Good idea to get pronouncing of names sorted at the start. I'll wait to correct.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:Polixenes I have just read straight, but if you want it read in the style of a one legged wood pecker I am really happy to give it a go. :D
Polixenes is JUST great the way you portray him. Woodpecker voice would not have suited him. Keep that voice for some minor character, it's easier to keep it up if you have less lines to speak. LOL

The scene with Camillo was simply sublime. All the emotions you display here, really excellent acting :clap: Please continue in this way. I can imagine why Leontes would be jealous of Polixenes 8-)

a couple of things to correct though:

> at 2:36: O my most sacred lady - you forgot "most" and I insist on being a "most sacred" lady :mrgreen:

> at 6:11: Turn then my freshest reputation to a savour that may strike the dullest nostril - you say "saviour" :lol: I had to laugh out loud when I pictured this scene of a bad-smelling saviour...

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_narrator_1_1.mp3 0:45

Amended, but I'm still not sure about the pronunciation of Hermione.