Most (In-?)Appropriate Quotation

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

musicmaiden wrote:Haha, that's awesome. I'll never forget the time someone told me to google that - I laughed hysterically.

I tend to quote Anne books in regular conversation, but then no one knows what I'm talking about. It's really sad, 'cause there's some good ones. And they're really hard to explain. :( :lol:
No one I know has ever read the same books that I have so I generally have to explain the "42" thing every time. It's not so difficult, though. I just tell them, "It's the answer to the great question of life, the universe, and everything. Now you just need to figure out what the question really is." Douglas Adams was awesome! It's too bad his stuff isn't PD.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

I use the one by Jane Austin via Elizabeth all the time. "You may ask questions that I do not choose to answer." And then one I think is from Shakespeare, when someone knocks on the door, "Come in, Come in! Be thou friend or foe thou shalt know me better!" I heard Orson Wells use it once one a radio drama, so I commandeered it.
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

I haven't found the right occasion to use it but one of my favorite quotations is " Methought I was enamored of an ass."

aniroo
aniroo :wink:
Emmanuel

Post by Emmanuel »

The most inappropriate quote?
Well... I guess you know where this is going... but maybe I should explain first that I am not quoting this to "expose" certain religious minorities, but rather so as to expose those who spread hatred against them and that we should stop putting these people spreading such hate on a pedestal (as is still done in many eastern European countries - including my country where he is pretty much worshiped as a saint and saviour).

Karl Marx in “The Russian Loan,” published in the New-York Daily Tribune on January 4, 1856:
Thus we find every tyrant backed by a Jew, as is every pope by a Jesuit. In truth, the cravings of oppressors would be hopeless, and the practicability of war out of the question, if there were not an army of Jesuits to smother thought and a handful of Jews to ransack pockets.
[...]
Thus do these loans, which are a curse to the people, a ruin to the holders, and a danger to the governments, become a blessing to the houses of the children of Judah. This Jew organization of loan-mongers is as dangerous to the people as the aristocratic organization of landowners.
[...]
The fact that 1855 years ago Christ drove the Jewish moneychangers out of the temple, and that the moneychangers of our age enlisted on the side of tyranny happen again chiefly to be Jews, is perhaps no more than a historical coincidence. The loan-mongering Jews of Europe do only on a larger and more obnoxious scale what many others do on one smaller and less significant. But it is only because the Jews are so strong that it is timely and expedient to expose and stigmatize their organization.
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Ah, Helga!
So, we make again, you slutty she-devil!
Prepare to suck steel!
(From the Musical "Doonesbury")
Truth,
James
---------------------