[COMPLETE]"India's Love Lyrics" by Laurence Hope-annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HelenWillifordLower

Post by HelenWillifordLower »

India's Love Lyrics by Laurence Hope (1865 - 1904).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalogue page: https://librivox.org/indias-love-lyrics-by-laurence-hope/
The poetry of Adela Florence Cory aka Violet Nicolson, is some of the most unique and passionate in the English language. Under the pen name of Laurence Hope, her works were extremely popular in the early years of the 20th century, inspiring popular music, lovers, silent films and even the creation of Shalimar perfume. Her work wades fearlessly into issues of racism, same-sex attraction, violence and taboo love, but also transports the reader to a vibrant India of another era, with its exotic peoples, flora, fauna, folklore and larger than life landscapes and intrigues. Even so, Hope's work has the delicacy of fine literature, with the matchless phrasing, rhyming and structure that marks the true poet. Mixing the confessional overtones of the French poetes maudites and British Aesthetes with the sounds and flavors of the Far East, critics of her day likened her to "a decadent Kipling". Like Elizabeth Browning, Hope's title "India's Love Lyrics" gave the impression she was transcribing the tempestuous poetry of another culture; it is now understood that the work was her own, though she was fluent in Urdu and was certainly inspired by the language and song traditions of the great Subcontinent where she spent her adult life. It is only by an accident of academic oversight that Hope is now hardly known to the public, as 19th-century male academics deemed her work "too purple" to be canonized in the same way her peer Kipling was. Her work is now out of print, but with this Librivox recording, you may join the many starry-eyed listeners who have discovered Hope, following her footsteps into the alluring and lost world of "The Teak Forest" and beyond. (Helen Williford-Lower)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8197
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, India, love, victorian, romantic, women's studies, sapphic, erotic

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of India's Love Lyrics. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Poem title" and give each poem title as you read it

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "sectioin[number] of India's Love Lyrics by Laurence Hope. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[poem title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section]"
      [/i]
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of India's Love Lyrics, by Laurence Hope. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording,
  • Example filename indiaslovelyrics_##_hope.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. indiaslovelyrics_01_hope.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by HelenWillifordLower on June 26th, 2017, 8:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK - I've had a swift listen to the file and it seems good (I'm not the PLer). so I'll fix the file name and add it to the MW and hope a PLer comes along

Re the MW access you need to get a new temp password and the option for that should come up so try again
If it still doesn't work for you give us a step by step like
I logged into the forum
I clicked on ....
The screen said ....

so we can work out what the glitch is

And your actual reading was great and technically fine - so you've done the hard part.

Anne
HelenWillifordLower

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

I sent a file renamed as suggested that is 19:04 in length. the link is http://uploads.librivox.org/annise/indiaslovelyrics_01_hope.mp3

Good news is I got into the Dashboard with a new password, and uploaded a hopefully correctly named file.

Now do I need to go fishing for a PL? - post in listeners needed?

Thank you!-
Helen
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great
I'll tidy up the thread a bit so it looks more like things are running smoothly and move it to going solo, and if a DPL hasn't dropped by we can advertise,
It's safe to keep on , there aren't any major problems

Anne
HelenWillifordLower

Hi -

Just wanted to drop a note here saying I am enjoying this work, have some editing to do before finishing my 2nd section, and also going on a vacation. I'll be back to reply before the end of the month.

Happy mid summer to all.-
Helen
HelenWillifordLower

Hello -

I have just uploaded Section 2 Still need a listener.

I have never been as close to these poems before - some of them are very odd. They are EXTREMELY modern for an Edwardian female poet. Many of them feel like free verse play monologues, though all are in tightly structured meter. The first one in section 2 is weird as it is a boat song, and I found the best way to approach it was to make it sing-song. Don't worry dear PL whoever you are, it is unique from the others.

I am going to continue recording, and hopefully accomplish a section a month, probably uploading on the last day of every month. Seven poems turns out to be a lot because LHope's work is so emotionally demanding - also there are all kinds of voices that populate her work. I will be happy to do any concerning recordings over, so let me know any concerns.

Thanks,
Helen
Last edited by HelenWillifordLower on July 31st, 2017, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Probably time for an ad, I'll set one up this time and point you to it so you'll know how to next time.

Anne
HelenWillifordLower

sounds great~ thank you anne! :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66737&p=1380046#p1380046 is the listeners wanted.
I noticed that the text link you gave just referred to the PG site , so I changed it. Gives an easier way to read and is probably more reliable

We need a time for the 2nd bit

Just using section 1 or part 1 loses the feeling , and this is what will show on the catalogue page. Does what I've put show its the first title of five do you think ? I was just experimenting with possibilties , yours is the final choice.
Anne
HelenWillifordLower

I added the time.

The poem names add something. I added +6 to indicate there are 7 poems in a section. it's not ideal as the first poems in a section aren't necessarily the famous ones, but I don't see what else we can do with the space available, so let's go with it.

The other option is to put "Pgs 4-15" I suppose referencing the book pages covered, but that is so dry. Having poem titles does give more flavor.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It does at least tell people where to start as well as improving the atmosphere I think, after all, you want to encourage browsers.
She has a very "non English " feel to the ones I read. I've been watching a TV proram with an Indian setting and it really is breath taking even with the poverty. You can see why people like Kipling loved it so much.

Anne
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I can DPL if you'd like.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That would be delightful. :9: Thank you. You should have access now.

Anne
HelenWillifordLower

Hellooo-

Just uploaded section 3. Thank you Kristin, looking forward to hearing feedback if you have any. My system got "reworked" because up upgraded to Windows 10 and it changed my system audio volume and controls. I had to reload a new driver and I am wondering if the settings stayed the same for Audible. I think I fixed it but let me know if you hear a difference in sound quality between section 3 and the first two sections -HWL
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

PL Notes:

Section 1 - gap at start should be 1 second or less

Section 2 is PL OK. There was a bit of reverb coming through at the end, but nothing too distracting.

Section 3 -
  • gap at start should be 1 second or less
    repeat at 08:45-08:53 - "But as her lips meant...but as her lips met his"
    background noise at 10:50
    repeat from 14:58-15:17
    background noise at 18:40
I would also add that perhaps the gap between poems should be no more than 2-3 seconds. There were a couple times I thought the recording was over and missing the outro, when it was just a long gap between poems. They're read so well, I would hate for someone to change tracks thinking that one was over and miss out on the rest.

Also, I thought Section 3 sounded just fine, if not a touch better (sound wise) than the first two. I look forward to hearing the rest.