[COMPLETE] Mystery of the Ravenspurs by Fred M. White-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

And lo and behold, chapter 55 has also been posted!

Thanks!! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Only 3 to go :clap:

Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:OK then .... 54 has been posted. The weekend hasn't arrived yet, so you can binge later if you prefer. :mrgreen:
oh the final push is happening :)

well I had a listen to 54 just now. The Asiatics drowning in this vault was a bit shocking for me, even though they were the bad guys. Nobody deserves to die like this. :(

Well, I found two very small things, I'm not sure they need to be corrected, but I let you decide that:

> at 4:41: "were just as anxious to live as anybody else" - now this could well be my ears mistaking me, but I think I hear "leave", but it's clear here, Tchigorsky meant "live"

> at 10:02: "When they were at the bottom of the steps" - you say "edge", I don't know whether there is a big difference in their position on the steps whether it's the "edge" or the "bottom". Maybe for me "edge" would mean "high up" and not "bottom" but you're the native English speaker, so if you say there is no difference, that's fine with me. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:And lo and behold, chapter 55 has also been posted!
And lo and behold, Chapter 55 is PL ok . Quite some things got revealed here. When I heard:
"My son, Jasper," he said hoarsely. "That fiend is his widow."
"And Marion's mother," Ralph croaked.
you should have heard my whooping "KNEW IT" :mrgreen: Didn't I suspect this quite from the start (I mean ever since Mrs May showed up) ? *smug grin*

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Kitty wrote:at 4:41: "were just as anxious to live as anybody else" - now this could well be my ears mistaking me, but I think I hear "leave", but it's clear here, Tchigorsky meant "live"

The reason you heard "leave" can be simply explained. It is because I said "leave" when I should have said "live". And your ears are fine. Stick to the text, Roger!
Kitty wrote:at 10:02: "When they were at the bottom of the steps" - you say "edge", I don't know whether there is a big difference in their position on the steps whether it's the "edge" or the "bottom". Maybe for me "edge" would mean "high up" and not "bottom" but you're the native English speaker, so if you say there is no difference, that's fine with me. :)
"Edge", to me, would seem to indicate at the side of the steps, whereas "bottom" would indicate the opposite of the top. Of course you are 100% correct, as always, because I read it wrong. :mrgreen:
But hey - at least it's not another food item, like .... "When they were at the banana of the steps" or something equally odd.

Both errors in chapter 54 have been (hopefully) fixed, and the file has been re-uploaded.
Thanks, as always for your most excellent PL! :thumbs:

And yes, you have had a lot of the peculiarities of this mystery well thought out from the start. You are, what we call here in the U.S. -- one smart cookie! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:The reason you heard "leave" can be simply explained. It is because I said "leave" when I should have said "live". And your ears are fine.
:lol: all right then (my ears are not too fine according to my doctor though :? some very deep or very high sounds I do not hear, but then I always tell him, in "real life" I don't need to hear those high beeps or low hums they are testing me on in these audio-cabins, since I am neither a bat nor a dog :roll: )
Kitty wrote:"Edge", to me, would seem to indicate at the side of the steps, whereas "bottom" would indicate the opposite of the top.
ok yes, it makes sense that way.
But hey - at least it's not another food item, like .... "When they were at the banana of the steps" or something equally odd.

haha that would have been a bit too much :mrgreen: But something like "When they were at the bottom of the crêpes" would have provoked a welcome chuckle :mrgreen:
Both errors in chapter 54 have been (hopefully) fixed, and the file has been re-uploaded.
yes it's PL ok now :thumbs:
You are, what we call here in the U.S. -- one smart cookie! :thumbs:
:shock: there's the food reference ! You absolutely had to, right ? Well I have never been called a cookie, but it sounds cute :9:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Trust me, it's a compliment. :wink:

Meanwhile, chapter 56 has been posted.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: ok this ending is what the French call a "coup de théâtre" ! Ralph all of a sudden DOES blame Marion after all. Even though he always thought of her as an angel, just like all the others. I remember I thought Marion was guilty from the start, but since even Ralph constantly made a point of mentioning her as an angel, I thought, maybe she is just misguided. The final confrontation between Marion and Mrs May certainly hints at it.

So I was not prepared to have Ralph react so harshly finally. What a surprise. I would think that Marion can make atonement for her involvement in all this. Or not ? :hmm: Suspense till the last chapter. Really great.

This chapter is also PL ok.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 57 has been posted. Only one more to go!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 57 PL ok again. :thumbs: And I was sure Mrs May would poison herself after she realized that all was lost for her. That's what these people do in the novels, quite a cliché ;) And we have to ask ourselves...is she really dead ? :shock:

And what about this other girl, she isn't explained yet. I would say it was Marion as well, but she could not have switched dresses so fast I think. Geoffrey met them both quite quickly one after the other I think. :hmm:

Well I guess I need to wait for the last chapter to find this out. I'll be patient.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

No need to be too patient, if you're still up and about.

Chapter 58 has been posted. Quite a conclusion. :wink:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

So Marion WAS the girl in the blue dress :shock: somehow I thought that wasn't logistically possible.

I could of course now very smuggly say that I suspected Marion almost from the beginning :mrgreen: (I really did, I checked !) But in between my suspicions wavered to and fro LOL

I'm not sure I like the ending too much. It was a bit unbelievable they would let Marion simply get away with murder, which she confessed to. I mean, she killed a woman and a little boy (I think there was mention of a boy at the beginning). Family members. I don't think I would still have fondness for her if she had told me that.

Well, it's a novel, and it has a happy ending for the lovers.

This chapter is also PL ok. (no last-minute-food-bloopers)

The book is finished and a wonderful addition to the LV catalogue. Thanks for the great read, Roger. I enjoyed every minute :9: And let me know if ever you read another book by this author.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Kitty wrote:.... somehow I thought that wasn't logistically possible.
I felt precisely the same about that. But, as you say, it is a novel, and we must allow our imaginations to flutter here and there at times.

Thanks so much for being my DPL for this project. It has been a joy to work with you, and hope we can work again together.
You are welcome to DPL any of my projects any time! :thumbs:
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks for all your extra work on this lengthy project! Looks like it's ready for catalog, at your convenience annise. :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Soory - missed it , I'll start ithings rolling

Anne