icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thanks Jim!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Last edited by acarlow on July 20th, 2017, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wathgwen

Post by Wathgwen »

Got my minute test approved and will be up and running tomorrow!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

realisticspeakers wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/popularhistoryofastronomy_24_clerke_128kb.mp3
[39:37]

. . Image

Very nice picture of Venus! Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

acarlow wrote:Section 33:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/popularhistoryofastronomy_33_clerke_128kb.
32:57

And now may I request 35?

Section 35 is yours, thank you for claiming and for section 33!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Wathgwen

Post by Wathgwen »

Question before recording- the chapters in this book seem to often be split into multiple sections. When reading the intro/outro script, do we say chapter or section #?

Are the chapters in the book immaterial, and they get reorganized as audio chapters, so to speak?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Oh yes, thank you for reminding me that I needed to update the instructions in the first post! Basically, the chapters have been split up to make the readers' lives much easier because some of these chapters are gigantic. When you read your section, you say, "Part 3 Chapter 3 of A Popular History of Astronomy in the Nineteenth Century. This is a LibriVox recording...etc." Then when you announce the section title, it will be "Part 2 Chapter 3, Recent Solar Eclipses, part 1." If you want to hear an example, you can listen to one of the sections that have already been PL OK'ed, just so you know what we are doing.

As far as you next question, it's not that the chapters are immaterial, it's just a question how to divide up the chapters to make life easier for the reader. If the author had known that her awesome book would be turned into an audio book, she would have divided the whole book into much more easily digested sections! But alas, she did not! :lol: The last chapter alone was more than 23,000 words, and we have figured out that a person can read about 7,000 or so words in about an hour. And, when you record, for the final recorded section, it can take 2 to 3 times that amount to record and edit each section, especially for beginners. You will see when you record your section how much time it can take. When I catalog the project, each section will be it's own section on the catalog page, with each reader getting credit for what they record. We do have a format which has the whole book put together, usually into 2 or 3 sections depending on how long the audio book ends up being, but for the normal formats, each project will have many sections. This project will have 42 different sections in the end. If you want to see what a final project catalog page looks like, go to the LibriVox opening page and scroll down. You will see all the latest projects that have been posted, click on one and scroll down to see how the project is organized.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 24 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 34 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Wathgwen

Post by Wathgwen »

icequeen wrote:Oh yes, thank you for reminding me that I needed to update the instructions in the first post! Basically, the chapters have been split up to make the readers' lives much easier because some of these chapters are gigantic. When you read your section, you say, "Part 3 Chapter 3 of A Popular History of Astronomy in the Nineteenth Century. This is a LibriVox recording...etc." Then when you announce the section title, it will be "Part 2 Chapter 3, Recent Solar Eclipses, part 1." If you want to hear an example, you can listen to one of the sections that have already been PL OK'ed, just so you know what we are doing.

As far as you next question, it's not that the chapters are immaterial, it's just a question how to divide up the chapters to make life easier for the reader. If the author had known that her awesome book would be turned into an audio book, she would have divided the whole book into much more easily digested sections! But alas, she did not! :lol: The last chapter alone was more than 23,000 words, and we have figured out that a person can read about 7,000 or so words in about an hour. And, when you record, for the final recorded section, it can take 2 to 3 times that amount to record and edit each section, especially for beginners. You will see when you record your section how much time it can take. When I catalog the project, each section will be it's own section on the catalog page, with each reader getting credit for what they record. We do have a format which has the whole book put together, usually into 2 or 3 sections depending on how long the audio book ends up being, but for the normal formats, each project will have many sections. This project will have 42 different sections in the end. If you want to see what a final project catalog page looks like, go to the LibriVox opening page and scroll down. You will see all the latest projects that have been posted, click on one and scroll down to see how the project is organized.
Thank you for the in-depth reply! I'm reading through now to make notes of pronunciation and such.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 13 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Ann
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »