Help with access to a library in Texas?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hello American friends! I'm looking for a scan of a book held at two libraries in Texas: Child Whispers, the early poetry of Enid Blyton.

The libraries concerned are:
Texas A&M University
Texas Woman's University Library

Further details here: http://www.worldcat.org/title/child-whispers/oclc/460122440&referer=brief_results

Both of these are on microform, so would need to be scanned somehow and uploaded to Internet Archive.

Help, anyone?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think I can help you with this, Beth. I live in Texas and I have a TexShare card, which is kind of like a library card for your whole state. I'm pretty sure I can have a book sent from another library to mine as part of this program, but I don't know about microform. Let me ask some questions and get back to you.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I have not forgotten about this. I planned to go to the library before work today and talk to my librarian, but my car battery had other ideas. I should be able to go tomorrow and get some info.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, so TX A&M is willing to send it to my library as an inter-library loan, but I haven't found out whether my library has a way to scan it. A&M does, though, if I go there to view it. It's only a couple of hours away, and I do have some friends in College Station, so I may just go and make a day of it!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

By the way, I'm assuming you did see that there are libraries that hold it in book form in Dublin, Edinburgh, and Oxford. Did you try these? Or is it death+70 that prevents you going that route?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

People have used their phones to take page images if that's possible ? I doubt it's a very large book. And yes I doubt English libraries would alow books still under copyright there to be copied. It is out of copyright in Australia so Beth is being legal

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's what I figured. Anyway, I should be able to take care of it.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, the feeling was that the book is only PD in the USA and Australia, and there's no copies held in Australia according to worldcat catalogue.

Rather than taking a long trip, it might be worth trying the inter library loan first? If there's a microform reader, phone photos work rather than a formal scan. Must include the publishing details of course, for PG clearance.

Thanks so much! If you want to solo/BC the book or take first pick of sections to read go right ahead!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Really?! I didn't think a phone's camera would be sharp enough. Ok then, I'll try that.

Although it may be good to have an excuse for a day trip. :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I did decide to take the excuse presented and go for a day trip. Drive two hours to visit a library and hang out with a good friend? Of course! Why not?

So I am going tomorrow, and the librarian at A&M informs me that I can save the book on a flash drive, from which I can then upload it. I may need some help with that step, as I have no idea how it's done.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

when you find out what format they give you let us know. And we will go from there.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

annise wrote:when you find out what format they give you let us know. And we will go from there.

Anne
Supposing I get to choose what format I want, what should I choose? What would be best/easiest to work with? PDF?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - I nearly suggested you asked but then I thought , well we will manage - we must have at least one member who understands whatever they produce. But I do know archive will handle pdf.
So pdf or an image format would be great
Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oooh, exciting!!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm holding the microfiche in my hand at this moment!