Unrecorded Oz books - updated list

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

According to this page of Wikipedia, there are a further 9 "Oz" books in the public domain which are not yet recorded for LV. Project Gutenberg doesn't have them, but I can't tell if that is because the books are not actually PD, or they simply haven't checked.

Is there a way of asking PG if they have (or could) investigate these 9 books? I'd like to BC them, if possible!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_The_Wizard_of_Oz_and_related_works_in_the_United_States

Updated July 2018: current list of recorded and unrecorded Oz books apart from L. Frank Baum's originals:

The Cowardly Lion in Oz (hopefully becomes PD in 2019?)
Grandpa in Oz (hopefully becomes PD in 2020?)

The Shaggy Man of Oz - group project in progress
The Silver Princess in Oz - group project in progress

Handy Mandy in Oz - solo recorded
The Magical Mimics in Oz - solo recorded
Kabumpo in Oz - group project recorded
The Royal Book of Oz - 3 versions in the catalogue
Ozoplaning with the Wizard of Oz - group project recorded
Captain Salt in Oz - group project recorded
The Wishing Horse of Oz - solo recorded
Last edited by Elizabby on July 25th, 2018, 6:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure how accurate the wiki entry is - but then I'm no expert. For example, on my reading of the laws, 56 years of protection for a book published 1904 would make it PD on Jan 1st 1961 , not 1960 as they say. Picky
You can ask PG to check status , but they expect you to have done most of the work. I know there is a link somewhere round , and it's probably somewhere on the PG site.
And in general you would need a hard copy I think and they would want a scan of at least the title page and the publishing info
I'll see if I can find the how to round here.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hmm. Well, I found a first editing of "The Wishing Horse of Oz" on eBay - for $750 USD! That's a bit out of my price range! :shock:

I'll have a think about submitting a Rule 6 request, but I don't know what they mean about requests are "submitted by persons who have demonstrated their ability to do accurate and complete copyright research." Do we have any such persons on LV?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm assuming you've tried googling for an etext, seen what Archive has (they don't show up on the google search often) , tried Hathi trust ?
Yes we do have some who have gone through the PG process and some of them have been first timers. Anything else I say is only guesswork , but I think their comment means , if you say to them "is this book out of copyright? "you probably won't get an answer , but if you document the steps you've taken they probably may.
Add PG to your heading and you may get an answer from someone who knows :D

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, I've found a copy of "Handy Mandy in Oz" on Internet Archive, which is scanned to include all the front pages with the copyright info, etc. I now need to find out how to upload it to Project Gutenberg for checking.

Has anyone successfully got a book submitted and cleared to PG?

Alternatively, can I just launch a project and read it directly from the IA copy?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If the scan shows the date and it's pre 1923 yes , otherwise post the link

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Did you find a text version? the only one I found was 1937 and part of the "books for the print disabled" which would make it not usuable :(

https://archive.org/details/handymandyinoz00thom
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, that's the one I meant. It is apparently out of copyright under the rule of the shorter term but I don't know how to prove that. I've submitted a request to PG, but I don't know if they will accept it from me. There's a notice on PG that they are not currently accepting Rule 6 clearance requests. :(
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

Elizabby wrote:Yes, that's the one I meant. It is apparently out of copyright under the rule of the shorter term but I don't know how to prove that. I've submitted a request to PG, but I don't know if they will accept it from me. There's a notice on PG that they are not currently accepting Rule 6 clearance requests. :(
Rule of shorter term shouldn't have anything to do with it as both authors are required to be US authors for PG to do a Rule 6 clearance. Rule 6 is the PG name for a non-renew clearance.

You would still need to get a good scan of an original book to be able to do the Rule 6 clearance with PG. With a good scanset I could do the clearance. I don't have any of the Oz books. Original doesn't mean first edition, but it does need to be fairly early. Preferably within a few of years of the first publication.

Greg
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

I'm going to request scans of any of the OZ books that are listed at the wiki as in the public domain. I don't know what I'll actually get. I'll post here if I get any. If I can get some I'll see about clearing them with PG.

Greg
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Greg! That would be amazing!
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

I have a clearance in with pglaf for "Ozoplaning with the Wizard of Oz" from a newer reprint. We'll see if they approve it.

Greg
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! If it gets clearance I'll BC it immediately!
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

gweeks wrote:I have a clearance in with pglaf for "Ozoplaning with the Wizard of Oz" from a newer reprint. We'll see if they approve it.
The clearance has been approved. If anyone wants to work from the scans before this gets into PG, let me know and I'll make the scans available in a cbz file.

Greg