[COMPLETE] Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends, by John Keats (1795 - 1821), Edited by Sidney Colvin.

This project is now complete! Please download and listen from the catalog: https://librivox.org/letters-of-john-keats-to-his-family-and-friends-by-john-keats/
These are the letters of John Keats, as written to family, close friends and others during his brief, eventful years as an artist. (However, the editor chose to exclude love letters to Fanny Brawne, respecting their private nature.) The celebrated Keats letters were written between 1816–1820, and include those colorful entries penned during his 44-day tour with Charles Brown as they rambled through England, Ireland and Scotland. Also included are the famous, lengthy "journal letters," written to his brother George and sister-in-law in America. Not only a poetic genius, Keats shines in epistolary form. His letters brim with the emotion, wit and intelligence he routinely shared with intimates. (~ NemoR)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35698
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

The marvelous DPL is: Helen (HZFerr) :clap:

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, Wordsworth, letters, shelley, romantic, byron, Keats

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • Say:
      Letter [number] of Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say:
      "Recording by Nemo."
    • Say:
      "Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends, Edited by Sidney Colvin. [Letter Title] (e.g., "To John Taylor") "

For subsequent sections, say:
      • "Letter [number] of Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends, Edited by Sidney Colvin. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • Say:
        [Letter Title] (e.g., "To John Taylor")

END of recording:
        • At the end of the section, say:
          "End of letter [number]"
        • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
          "End of Letters of John Keats to His Family and Friends, Edited by Sidney Colvin. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
      • Example filename lettersjohnkeats_###_keats_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. lettersjohnkeats_001_keats_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
        Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by bluechien on September 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm, edited 17 times in total.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Some thoughts on the "special PL" for any potential PLers:

I would love it if the PLer would:

- read along with the text
- feel free to ignore word substitutions that do NOT affect the sense, as my patches are usually more destructive than these
- if at all possible, point out ALL pronunciation errors, particularly those relating to British place names, plants and animals, as Keats has many of these that I am unfamiliar with. I look them all up but do not feel confident about them.
- Am using "Pronouncing Shakespeare's Words" by Dale F. Coye so I am more confident about Shakespearean character names, but would welcome corrections on these too.

My pace for this project will not be glacial but not at all fast. Sort of a real-life epistolary pace, where you get letters from Keats every so often. :D

To avoid too many intros and outros I was thinking to batch these letters into sections, but I will have to work that out a bit because some letters are long. If done by letters, there are about 164 of them ...

Please feel free to PL, also, at an epistolary pace ;)

The semi-boring preface will probably be done last

Thank you so much
Last edited by bluechien on July 18th, 2017, 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

MCer, can you please check my wrestling with the MC template to make sure nothing too bad has happened, and also, I wasn't sure that biography/memoirs was the place for this, but didn't find a better one. Is there one? Thank you!
Eva D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this up for you :)
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Now you have an MW :thumbs:
bluechien wrote:can you please check my wrestling with the MC template to make sure nothing too bad has happened
All looks fine to me
bluechien wrote: I wasn't sure that biography/memoirs was the place for this, but didn't find a better one. Is there one?
I couldn't find anything better off the bat, but I'll have a better look around :)

You can add more sections if you find that you need them (and if you add too many, I can delete...).

It is not necessary to add the ID3 tags even if they are mentioned in the first post, feel free to ignore those.

If the preface is too boring, it is up to you whether you want to read it or not. Just saying :)

I think letters are such an underappreciated form of writing, very cool that you are picking up this volume!
Kathrine
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thank you so much, Kathrine :9:

I agree with you, letters are terrific ... and I might be biased, but I think Keats' letters are especially especially so. He has no filter to his friends.

I will ponder the usefulness or not of reading the preface :) I've never known if people like to read them or not, though clearly people like to write them.
Eva D
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I would be happy to act as DPL.

Unlike some PLers, I always listen with the text in front of me.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by bluechien »

Thank you Algy! :9: That would be wonderful.

This is all ready to go, then!
Eva D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome, Algy :thumbs:

Hang on while we move over to Going Solo. Please holler if you all need anything
Kathrine
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

kathrinee wrote: Hang on while we move over to Going Solo. Please holler if you all need anything
thank you Katherine!
Eva D
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kathrine, question for you ... since the letters are titled I, II, III, IV etc. in the source text, is it all right to say "Letter 1," "letter 2" in the intros and "end of letter 1" to reflect this, instead of "Chapter 1/ end of chapter 1"? If so I will update the template and happily do so ...
Eva D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Yes, using Letter # in the intro/outro would make good sense.
Are you thinking something like this (for the first intro)?:
Letter #-# of [title]. This is a LV recording bla bla. Recording by..
[title] by [author]. Letter #. Read letter #. Letter #. Read letter #.
and
End of letter # (or even End of letters #-#)
Alternately, you could do something like:
Section # of [title]. This is a LV recording bla bla. Recording by..
[title] by [author]. Letter #. read letter #. Letter #. read letter #. etc.
and at the end
End of section #.

I think either of those would work just fine (and do the same in the shortened intro for soloists). (Am I making sense? :) )
Kathrine
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Yes, exactly! I forgot to include some facts here but you guessed the alternatives. :D

I will do that ... thank you so much!
Eva D
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

A few letters are up, but the earliest ones are ridiculously short. They are just starting to get good, toward the end of these. I am just trickling them in and will update here at random. :D
Eva D
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

PL notes

Letter 1
After 1:02
Missing text:
J. K.

Letter 2
0:24
Lines read in reverse order
John Keats.
Removed to 76 Cheapside.