[COMPLETE] King & Parliament (A.D. 1603-1714) by Wakeling-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Pam,

Chapter 4 is PL OK, but I feel like I'm watching this peeking through my fingers!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Erin!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Erin,

Is it because you know the king is going to die? Is that why you are peeking through your fingers?

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

It isn't the king specifically so much as the entire Civil War.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

I see.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Goodness, I just realised how snarky that sounded. I didn't mean it that way.

I know for some readers there is a bit of a sense that history was just how it was, things couldn't have turned out any differently and anyway it's all in the past now. It's nothing of the sort - events are always subject to all sorts of influences and could easily have gone down a very different path than they did. You've been choosing authors who convey that 'what if' quite well, who introduce the unpredictable human factor and who keep things interesting for the listener/student by sustaining the sense of a narrative. In this case, it's the missed opportunities, the ideological conflicts, the power struggles, the betrayals that create a sense of foreboding and the build up to the Civil War.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Oh, I see, Erin, though I don't know what snarky means.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

I would have defined it as catty or rude and in an informal register. I was curious, so I looked it up.

The main online dictionary I use says the adjective is snide or sharply critical (perhaps a little stronger than how I'd use it). It also mentions that it's informal and says it's North American.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/snarky

It can be used as a verb and noun, too:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/snark

Although the first definition is the creature Lewis Carroll invented in The Hunting of the Snark!

I'll bet you're sorry you mentioned it now!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

No, that's great. Thanks!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

I have one pronunciation note for chapter 5. There are two instances of the place name Taunton on page 52 in the final paragraph on the page. If you divide that block of text into thirds, it's roughly the middle band. It's 'By this time the New Model was ready ... came back to besiege Oxford.' and those sentences are at 24.54-25.12.

I'll put a couple of links below, because if I try to write out how it sounds it'll probably be confusing! All I'll say is that those vowels don't behave themselves.

http://howjsay.com/pronunciation-of-taunton
https://forvo.com/search/Taunton/
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Whoa, thanks, Erin!
Very helpful!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 5 is ready for Spot PL.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

Chapter 5 is PL OK, and the next chapter looks set to be every bit as interesting!
Erin