[COMPLETE]Popular History of Astronomy, Clerke-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Darn, I just uploaded 17. I didn't realize it had been claimed. Obviously I should have checked first. So sorry.
Perhaps it can be my "one minute" test?
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Ann,

Perhaps I can do 34 after my 17 debacle?

My real name can be used for catalog: Aaron Carlow
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

acarlow wrote:Ann,

Perhaps I can do 34 after my 17 debacle?

My real name can be used for catalog: Aaron Carlow

In some projects, sections get claimed quickly. This project is one of those projects. Normally it is better to wait to record until after the Book Coordinator (BC) acknowledges your claim. Some BC's can get a little testy if you claim, record and submit your section before they are able to acknowledge your claim, I'm not one of those. Just fair warning about how things can be around here, it's just to make sure that you don't put in a bunch of work when you don't need to. It does take time to figure things out here at LV, and most people are patient with the newbies because we have all been there at one time!

OK, you are now assigned section 34, thank you, and your name is on your catalog page! I will listen to your test and let you know in a few minutes if I can turn you loose to record!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Wathgwen wrote:
icequeen wrote:
Wathgwen wrote:Hi! First-timer here. Will get my one-minute test up this week, most likely. Interested in parts 17 and 18, at least, and perhaps some of P2 Ch. 12- but I'm hesitant to claim the latter chapter officially until I get some feedback.
Welcome to LibriVox!

OK, I will put you down for sections 17 and 18, thank you! But, wait to record your sections until after you get the OK on your one minute test, that way we can make sure your settings are where we need them to be before you get too far into recording for LibriVox. It is much easier to correct something to begin with, verses trying to fix it after you record a long section. What name would you like credited on your catalog page?
Wathgwen is fine.

Trying to figure out my mic situation before testing- I've got a headset, but the mic has disappeared!

OK, then Wathgwen is on your catalog page, thank you for letting me know! I hope you find your mic soon! Most people around here would be having a nervous breakdown if they could not find their microphone! :shock:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Wow, great reading! You have a great voice for recording audio books, and you have a good pace. Not too fast or too slow! Sweet! That's the good news, there are a couple of things that need to be addressed.

The Bit Rate for you recording is at 102 kbps, and it is variable. We need the bit rate to be constant and 128 kbps. I don't know which recording program you are using, I am going to assume you are using Audacity. What I need you to do is to go back into Audacity with this same recording and change the bit rate. When you Export, that window that opens up, at the bottom of the window in Format Options, go to the drop down menu for Quality and click on 128kb. Then make sure that the circle next to Constant is clicked, and export your file as as mp3 like you did before. Upload your test again, using the same file name because the workflow system will rename the old file, then paste it into another post in this thread.

One other thing that that I need to mention just to make you aware of it, but you don't need to fix it, is the volume. The volume for you test was 86.8 dB, which is fine but a little low. We need the volume to be about 89 dB, with a range of 86 to 92 dB. Like I said, you don't need to fix the volume for your test, but you need to be aware that it is low and if you go lower, the PL'ers will ask you to amplify to get closer to 89 dB.

So, fix the bit rate and upload it again. If you fix that I will turn you loose on the world!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Anne, thanks for the encouragement. I've uploaded a new testfile with CBR encoding:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/test_acarlow.mp3

Also, I think the volume issue should be resolved as well.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

acarlow wrote:Anne, thanks for the encouragement. I've uploaded a new testfile with CBR encoding:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/test_acarlow.mp3

Also, I think the volume issue should be resolved as well.

Bit rate is fixed, and the volume is now at 88.8 dB. You are good to go, have fun!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Okay, just finished 34:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/popularhistoryofastronomy_34_clerke_128kb.mp3

Not sure what the next step is. Should I wait before requesting another section?
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

I forgot the IDV3v2 tags. I've re-uploaded. Not sure if the "Title" tag is correct, though.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/popularhistoryofastronomy_34_clerke_128kb.mp3
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

acarlow wrote:I forgot the IDV3v2 tags. I've re-uploaded. Not sure if the "Title" tag is correct, though.

Thank you! Don't worry too much about the tags, they will be replaced by the workflow system when I catalog the project. If you would like to claim more, you are more than welcome to do so!

Before I forget, what is the time duration on your recording? I just want to make sure I got the whole file, the internet has been known to eat portions of recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Wathgwen

Post by Wathgwen »

icequeen wrote:

OK, then Wathgwen is on your catalog page, thank you for letting me know! I hope you find your mic soon! Most people around here would be having a nervous breakdown if they could not find their microphone! :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66552

Here's my test. I've got a USB webcam at the moment (and just realized I need to include that info with the post, so brb!)
acarlow

Post by acarlow »

Before I forget, what is the time duration on your recording?
19:48 is the length on Section 34.

I guess I'll tackle 33 next if available. Might as well start that chapter :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Perfect, that's what I have! Section 33 is yours, thanks Aaron!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Wathgwen wrote:
icequeen wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66552

Here's my test. I've got a USB webcam at the moment (and just realized I need to include that info with the post, so brb!)
Awesome! Thanks for keeping me updated! I'm curious to see how the USB video cam will work, I have not seen anyone else use one (not that means anything, I'm just curious!).
Ann

Audio, video, disco!