[COMPLETE]La-bas (Down There) by J-K Huysmans -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

La-bas by Joris-Karl Huysmans (1848 - 1907). Translated by Keene Wallace aka Wallis ( - 0)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/la-bas-by-joris-karl-huysmans/

The plot of Là-Bas concerns the novelist Durtal, who is disgusted by the emptiness and vulgarity of the modern world. He seeks relief by turning to the study of the Middle Ages and begins to research the life of the notorious 15th-century child-murderer Gilles de Rais. Through his contacts in Paris (notably Dr. Johannes, modeled after Joseph-Antoine Boullan), Durtal finds out that Satanism is not simply a thing of the past but alive in turn of the century France. He embarks on an investigation of the occult underworld with the help of his lover Madame Chantelouve. The novel culminates with a description of a black mass. ( Wikipedia)
Reader's note: This novel certainly reaches to the depths of depravity and blasphemy, and achieved some notoriety for doing so. A redeeming feature, if one is required, is that Durtal begins in this book a pilgrimage; like Dante's hero, he begins this in a horrible and God-forsaken place.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14323
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of La-bas. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "La-bas, by Joris-Karl Huysmans. Translated by Keene Wallace aka Wallis ( - 0) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of La-bas by Joris-Karl Huysmans. Translated by Keene Wallace aka Wallis ( - 0) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of La-bas, by Joris-Karl Huysmans. Translated by Keene Wallace aka Wallis ( - 0)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename labas_##_huysmans_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. labas_01_huysmans_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags (you can leave these out; I'll add when cataloging)
    Artist: Joris-Karl Huysmans
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: La-bas

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
[/list]
Last edited by unreadpages on October 9th, 2017, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Note that this project was discussed in the Book Suggestions forum beginning 17 June under the topic "Huysmans (in English)". There have already been offers for DPL.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Peter,

Would you like me to DPL?
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Hi Peter,

Would you like me to DPL?
Erin
Yes Erin, that would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Peter
Newgatenovelist

Excellent. I note that you've requested standard PL, but I follow along with the text when I listen. Would you like me to do another form of PL? I'm willing to note deviations from the text that alter the meaning or to do word-perfect if you would like. Think it over. It's not really an increased commitment on my part if you'd prefer that.
Off LV 25-28 March.
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Peter,
I can be your MC for this project. I'll be right back with the MW.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

OK - MW up and running.

A few small things:
- you asked to start with a section 00 (that is, with a preface or introduction), but in the Gutenberg project, the book starts with chapter 1 without an introduction. I've done the MW now just starting from section 1 to 22, let me know if you need it to be different.
- when giving the gutenberg link, it's always good to link to the central book page instead of directly to 1 version of the text - I've changed it for you now, but it's just a tip for future projects.
- I was struggling a bit with the genres. It's not really 'historical fiction' (that means, that the author situates his book in an early time, while I think the people in the book live in the same time as the author?). I've now chosen "general fiction/published 1800-1900" and "fantastic fiction/Horror & Supernatural fiction" - is that OK? (I haven't read the book, only the summaries).

And Erin, thanks for offering to DPL - I've given you access to the MW.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems. And have fun recording.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

I'll move the project to the Going Solo forum!
Anna
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Excellent. I note that you've requested standard PL, but I follow along with the text when I listen. Would you like me to do another form of PL? I'm willing to note deviations from the text that alter the meaning or to do word-perfect if you would like. Think it over. It's not really an increased commitment on my part if you'd prefer that.
Hi Erin
I think I will stick with standard PL only because in my last book there were a few very minor deviations which would have been more trouble than it was worth to fix (e.g. towards rather than toward) and I was glad it was standard PL. But I'd certainly like to be extremely close to the text.
Thanks
Peter
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

lezer wrote:OK - MW up and running.

A few small things:
- you asked to start with a section 00 (that is, with a preface or introduction), but in the Gutenberg project, the book starts with chapter 1 without an introduction. I've done the MW now just starting from section 1 to 22, let me know if you need it to be different.
- when giving the gutenberg link, it's always good to link to the central book page instead of directly to 1 version of the text - I've changed it for you now, but it's just a tip for future projects.
- I was struggling a bit with the genres. It's not really 'historical fiction' (that means, that the author situates his book in an early time, while I think the people in the book live in the same time as the author?). I've now chosen "general fiction/published 1800-1900" and "fantastic fiction/Horror & Supernatural fiction" - is that OK? (I haven't read the book, only the summaries).

And Erin, thanks for offering to DPL - I've given you access to the MW.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems. And have fun recording.
Thanks Anna
Sorry, I must have been looking at Archive when I requested a Sect. 0 - but no, not necessary for the chosen text.
Regarding the genre, it's not really supernatural. Was there a "religious fiction"?
Another question is the correct pronunciation of Huysmans - Forvo gives two very different versions, both of which sound authentic (and neither was the way I've always pronounced it!). Any recommendations?
Peter
lezer

Post by lezer »

A quick answer for now: I'll look at the genres this evening when I get home from work.
Pronunciation of Huysmans: as a Dutch person myself, I had a tendency to think of him as with a Dutch pronunciation (his father was Dutch) - but he lived in France all his life I believe, and the French would never be able to manage the Dutch pronunciation :) So I presume the pronunciation of his name was 'butchered' all the time when he was alive, and you should feel free to pick a pronunciation that would be manageable and made kind of sense... :D
Anna
Newgatenovelist

unreadpages wrote:Hi Erin
I think I will stick with standard PL only because in my last book there were a few very minor deviations which would have been more trouble than it was worth to fix (e.g. towards rather than toward) and I was glad it was standard PL. But I'd certainly like to be extremely close to the text.
Thanks
Peter
No problem. I wouldn't flag something like toward/towards in a LV prose project unless specifically asked, but thought I'd mention that it could be standard, medium-to-major deviations only or word perfect if you wanted.
Off LV 25-28 March.
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Newgatenovelist

One note for chapter 1:

14.10-14.19. It's the first sentence of the paragraph:
Ah, this coarse, tear-compelling Calvary [heard cavalry] was at the opposite pole from those debonair Golgothas adopted by the Church ever since the Renaissance.

A general note, since you take such care with your recordings - in a couple of places I heard a very slight knock. These were generally at the end of a sentence or syntactical unit, not over the top of a word. You can hear what I mean at 0.34 and 2.30. I only noticed them because I listen with headphones and the volume raised; I wouldn't have heard them if I were listening on my mp3 player while outside. I'm bringing it up purely for future reference, if you remember the recording session well enough to guess what it might have been.

If this too much, tell me to sod off. It's fine.
Off LV 25-28 March.
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Newgatenovelist wrote:One note for chapter 1:

14.10-14.19. It's the first sentence of the paragraph:
Ah, this coarse, tear-compelling Calvary [heard cavalry] was at the opposite pole from those debonair Golgothas adopted by the Church ever since the Renaissance.

A general note, since you take such care with your recordings - in a couple of places I heard a very slight knock. These were generally at the end of a sentence or syntactical unit, not over the top of a word. You can hear what I mean at 0.34 and 2.30. I only noticed them because I listen with headphones and the volume raised; I wouldn't have heard them if I were listening on my mp3 player while outside. I'm bringing it up purely for future reference, if you remember the recording session well enough to guess what it might have been.

If this too much, tell me to sod off. It's fine.
No I appreciate all feedback and notes. Have re-uploaded Ch 1 and as well as fixing Calvary (how could I have thought cavalry?) I have taken out the two bumps you mentioned. Will watch out for that in future.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lezer/labas_01_huysmans_128kb.mp3
Peter