(COMPLETE)The Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AudibleAnarchist

Post by AudibleAnarchist »

The Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin (1842 - 1921).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/conquest-bread-2-by-peter-kropotkin/
In this work, Kropotkin points out what he considers to be the defects of the economic systems of feudalism and capitalism, and how he believes they thrive on and maintain poverty and scarcity, as symbol for richness and in spite of being in a time of abundance thanks to technology, while promoting privilege. He goes on to propose a more decentralised economic system based on mutual aid and voluntary cooperation, asserting that the tendencies for this kind of organisation already exist, both in evolution and in human society. He also talks about details of revolution and expropriation in order not to end in a reactionary way. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/petr-kropotkin-the-conquest-of-bread
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Conquest of Bread , by Peter Kropotkin. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      conquestofbread_##_kropotkin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. conquestofbread_01_kropotkin_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I will set this up for you , but first there are some things to work out.
I understand it is already recorded ? We have hosted outside group recordings before but we need to be sure of a few things
All readers need to know that our recordings are released into the Public Domain with no restrictions as to reuse.
Only registered members will be credited with their sections. If they choose to record under an umbrella name (like say AudibleAnarchists :D ) then that will be credited. And you will be resposible for us receiving the files in the correct format with intros and outros :D

Anne
AudibleAnarchist

The readers have been informed. I've told them to post in this thread which chapters they have read if that's ok with you.
We're working on the intro/outros they should be done soon, are the recordings supposed to be in a specific format like .mp3 or .flac?

Comrade Zesky
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All that information is in the first post you generated , file format, what to say before and after what to call your files.

I'll set up a MW and say it's fully subscribed.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Can I suggest you upload 1 file as soon as you think it's OK so I can check and give you feedback ?

Anne
fiskr

Post by fiskr »

I see you are missing chapter 17 in the main post. I claimed chapter 17 already (see the discord chat).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Only 16 chapters were asked for and no introduction . I'll adjust the MW when the number wanted is clear to me :D . It's fairly important to get it right before files are uploaded, otherwise it's hard to get file names and intros right so that they play in order on all the devices people use.
I need to know who is going to act as cooordinator so I can arrange for them to be able to update the MW.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I found a chapter 4 in the tests folder, and ran it through checker and spot listened
You've conquered the hard part , it sounded great, just need to get the housekeeping right.so I'll list them , it sounds a lot but it's not really.
The volume came with 2 levels, the second half was much quieter than the first , I just highlighted the low half and amplified it and it came up well
The next bits are all in the first post with links to Audacity. If you can't work out how to get them standard or use different software someone in the forum usually can help
The file was stereo and we use mono, usually just need to change the recording/output settings
The bitrate was wrong
You need to add the intro and outro
and you need to rename it

Sounds like we are being fussy but there are reasons for it all.

Anne
AudibleAnarchist

I've uploaded chapter 1 fixed up according to the instructions. Is everything alright with it or did I miss something?

Thanks for doing this :)

Zesky
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I haven't seen it :D . Our uploader is clever , but it's not like a homing pigeon box, it doesn't ring a bell when a file flies in, it relies on the sender posting a message in this thread with the URL the uploader gives and we also like people to post the duration mm:sec just so we can tell if little bits fall of the end, the files are moved around a bit before reaching their final resting places. Posting also tells me who has sent the file.
I'll go and search

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK I found it, the title looks good. I'll have a listen later.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK I've listened to chapter 1 - the intro and outro are fine :9:
Only 1 problem - we need the mp3 constant bit rate , 128kbs .
As I'd downloaded the file and had it in Audactity , I just exported it with the corrections and I'll add it to the MW when it's finished and it will be ready for proof listening , I haven't askked for one yet until we got all the housekeeping under control.

I noticed you said read by the Audible Anarchist group - is that what you wish for all the readers ? To understand the finished product look here https://librivox.org/the-conquest-of-bread-by-peter-kropotkin/ , it will look much the same except Enko will be replaced with AudibleAnarchist ?

Anne
AudibleAnarchist

Ooops :oops: , I used average instead of constant . I'll make sure to not do that anymore. :D

and about the credits, we're using AudibleAnarchist for every member who doesn't want to be credited.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've filled them all in as audibleanarchist so everyone knows we aren't looking for readers , so they'll need to tell me if they need it changed. I'll stayy here a day or so to see if we can get some PLing done , then we'll move to readers found

Anne
AudibleAnarchist

Chapter 2 is up, I tried exporting with a constant bitrate this time, is everything up to snuff this time ? :mrgreen: