[COMPLETE] The House of Whispers by William Le Queux - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

House of Whispers by William Lequeux 2 July 1864 - 13 October 1927

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-house-of-whispers-by-william-le-queux/
This is a story about a young lady and her blind father who live in a House of Whispers. "There is a legend that those who hear the whispers die quickly and suddenly." Story written by William Lequeux in 1910. Le Queux mainly wrote in the genres of thriller, espionage, and mystery.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/10718
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The House of Whispers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The House of Whispers, by William Le Queux. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The House of Whispers by William Le Queux. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The House of Whispers, by William Le Queux. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename houseofwhispers_##_lequeux_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. houseofwhispers_01_lequeux_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by adr6090 on November 1st, 2017, 8:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia (Kitty) has agreed to dpl this project. :clap:
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay !!! I am sooo looking forward to this story. I hope it keeps what the title promises.

Good luck for your first Solo, April. :9: You will not be alone on your way. We'll have great fun I'm sure.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're set up. A couple notes:

1) I changed the text URL to the main Gutenberg page for the book, rather than the epub format you had. :)

2) Note that the title is "THE" House of Whispers. (You just put "House of Whispers" in the template.) I changed the wording in the intro/outro to show the "The".

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Holler if you have questions. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

TriciaG wrote:You're set up. A couple notes:

1) I changed the text URL to the main Gutenberg page for the book, rather than the epub format you had. :)

2) Note that the title is "THE" House of Whispers. (You just put "House of Whispers" in the template.) I changed the wording in the intro/outro to show the "The".

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Holler if you have questions. 8-)
Thank you Tricia for being the MC on this project. I have never done a solo so your advice is appreciated and I intend to set up the Magic Window now. :clap: April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Tricia,
I did begin to put the chapter titles into the Mw & found out that I was mistaken in the number of chapters. There are actually 39, I am sorry. Possibility that you can add more areas for the additonal chapters?
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

April, you can add new sections yourself.

If you go into the MW, you see on the top a button marked "Add New Section"

press that and fill in the new chapter name and your reader name and press ok

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote:April, you can add new sections yourself.

If you go into the MW, you see on the top a button marked "Add New Section"

press that and fill in the new chapter name and your reader name and press ok

Sonia
Perfect!! Thank you. I will do that now.:)
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

the MW looks good so far :thumbs: you're a quick learner

Sonia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, looks good!

FYI, When assigning yourself the section (when making a new section), you have to select your name from the pick list. You can't just type it in. That "sets" the name in the database.

Also - don't use regular double quotes (") in section titles. Quote marks cause the section title to disappear from the files when cataloged. (Weird, I know!) Instead, use either two single quotes (apostrophes) or just one single quote.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

TriciaG wrote:Yes, looks good!

FYI, When assigning yourself the section (when making a new section), you have to select your name from the pick list. You can't just type it in. That "sets" the name in the database.

Also - don't use regular double quotes (") in section titles. Quote marks cause the section title to disappear from the files when cataloged. (Weird, I know!) Instead, use either two single quotes (apostrophes) or just one single quote.
Thank you!!! I am copying and pasting the titles from the Guttenberg text of the book. Assigning new sections will be after I get all of the titles in the current chapter fields.
april
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Going Solo. :)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:clap:
TriciaG wrote:Moved to Going Solo. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, the first chapter is in, yay. :D

It's a very nice start to the book, April. Your reading is lively at some key points, some sighs or laughs: I especially liked the little embarrassed chuckle when the girl was teased about Walter Murie being at the ball - he's probably gonna be the love-interest in this book :mrgreen:

I was a bit puzzled about the "mother" who had to accompany her to the ball...at one point they mentioned her mother was dead. :hmm: Maybe it's a step-mother.... it'll become clearer in the following chapters I suppose.

So nothing wrong with your narrating, but I found a few small errors which could be edited out still:

> at 3:13: “The first oculists of Europe had peered into and tested his eyes, but all to no purpose.” – I had to giggle when I heard you say “ocultists” instead of “oculists”. While this book probably contains some mystery, I’m sure the blind man first consulted eye-doctors, before resorting to occult mediums. :mrgreen:

> at 3:33: “Sir Henry Heyburn had gone into strict retirement at Glencardine” – here you pronounce it “Glencard-EYE-ne” but in the chapter title (at 0:27) you said “Glendcard-EE-ne”. Maybe you should decide on one pronunciation but stick to that one throughout the text. You can change whichever of the two you want.

> at 5:15: “or the town-house in Park Street” – you say “town-park

> at 8:25: “in pretence of being troubled” – the end is trailing off, I only hear “troub”

> at 8:43: “beyond the level, well-kept lawn” – the pause between “level” and “well-kept” is a bit too long, since those two adjectives both characterize the lawn. Maybe cut shorter this pause to make the sentence more fluent ?

> at 10:28: “and now worn upon the little finger” – again trailing off, I only hear “fing”

These are all the points that struck me as odd, the rest was totally fine. Although, sadly at some points your volume is still fluctuating a bit. :( Not as much as it used to, but it's still there. That's probably also the reason for the two words that are cut off.

I keep wondering what's at the root of this problem :hmm: You say that you keep your head and your voice level with the microphone, right ? And no more use of compressor either. :hmm:

Have you ever sent a sample to the help forum to maybe hear what some of our tech-guys say about this problem ?

Anyway, it's not as disturbing, so the chapter is good as it is, once the few errors are corrected.

You started your solo :clap: And well done !

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote:all right, the first chapter is in, yay. :D

It's a very nice start to the book, April. Your reading is lively at some key points, some sighs or laughs: I especially liked the little embarrassed chuckle when the girl was teased about Walter Murie being at the ball - he's probably gonna be the love-interest in this book :mrgreen:

I was a bit puzzled about the "mother" who had to accompany her to the ball...at one point they mentioned her mother was dead. :hmm: Maybe it's a step-mother.... it'll become clearer in the following chapters I suppose.

So nothing wrong with your narrating, but I found a few small errors which could be edited out still:

> at 3:13: “The first oculists of Europe had peered into and tested his eyes, but all to no purpose.” – I had to giggle when I heard you say “ocultists” instead of “oculists”. While this book probably contains some mystery, I’m sure the blind man first consulted eye-doctors, before resorting to occult mediums. :mrgreen:

> at 3:33: “Sir Henry Heyburn had gone into strict retirement at Glencardine” – here you pronounce it “Glencard-EYE-ne” but in the chapter title (at 0:27) you said “Glendcard-EE-ne”. Maybe you should decide on one pronunciation but stick to that one throughout the text. You can change whichever of the two you want.

> at 5:15: “or the town-house in Park Street” – you say “town-park

> at 8:25: “in pretence of being troubled” – the end is trailing off, I only hear “troub”

> at 8:43: “beyond the level, well-kept lawn” – the pause between “level” and “well-kept” is a bit too long, since those two adjectives both characterize the lawn. Maybe cut shorter this pause to make the sentence more fluent ?

> at 10:28: “and now worn upon the little finger” – again trailing off, I only hear “fing”

These are all the points that struck me as odd, the rest was totally fine. Although, sadly at some points your volume is still fluctuating a bit. :( Not as much as it used to, but it's still there. That's probably also the reason for the two words that are cut off.

I keep wondering what's at the root of this problem :hmm: You say that you keep your head and your voice level with the microphone, right ? And no more use of compressor either. :hmm:

Have you ever sent a sample to the help forum to maybe hear what some of our tech-guys say about this problem ?

Anyway, it's not as disturbing, so the chapter is good as it is, once the few errors are corrected.

You started your solo :clap: And well done !

Sonia
:thumbs:
Thank you Sonia I will get the items corrected and repost to this thread.
April