[COMPLETE] Gleanings in Buddha-Fields by L. Hearn - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Gleanings in Buddha-Fields by Lafcadio Hearn (1850 - 1904).

This project is now complete! All recordings can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/gleanings-in-buddha-fields-by-lafcadio-hearn/

A book with 11 stories about Japan by Lafcadio Hearn ( Ava)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/gleaningsinbuddh1889hear
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Pronunciation of Japanese Words:
    Although simplified, the following general rules will help the reader unfamiliar with Japanese to come close enough to Japanese pronunciation.

There are five vowels: a (as in fAther), i (as in machIne), u (as in fOOl), e (as in fEllow), and o (as in mOle). Although certain vowels become nearly "silent" in some environments, this phenomenon can be safely ignored for the purpose at hand.

Consonants roughly approximate their corresponding sounds in English, except for r, which is actually somewhere between r and l (this is why the Japanese have trouble distinguishing between English r and l), and f, which is much closer to h.

You may leave out the footnotes, unless you find one extremely interesting. In that case, please say "footnote" and "end footnote" before and after the footnote text, respectively.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Short Stories; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works
    Keywords that describe the book: Japan, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinto, Buddhism
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Gleanings in Buddha-Fields. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Gleanings in Buddha-Fields, by Lafcadio Hearn. [Chapter] [Part]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Gleanings in Buddha-Fields, by Lafcadio Hearn. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3

gleaningsinbuddhafields_##_hearn_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. gleaningsinbuddhafields_01_hearn_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions? - Please post below
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I found another book by Lafcadio Hearn!

Here, he presents 11 accounts on various Japanese subjects, including a rebirth... :shock: There is a Japanese pronunciation guide above the Magic Window; feel free to ask if you're unsure about something.

DPL wanted! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Isana

Post by Isana »

Oh, dear, you found another one. :D

I would like to claim Sections 8 and 9, please.

Also, I would like to volunteer to DPL.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Isana, you're in for both, no: all three of your claims :wink:
Have fun!

I think this is pretty much the last of his Japan related books. He also has a book on Chinese Ghost stories, which may be popular, and one called "Romance of the Milkyway" I didn't look at in detail. Of course, there is also "Lafcadio Hearn: Life and Letters" in at least two volumes, but I'm not sure how interesting that would be for the average reader/listener...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Could I claim this one, please?

14 Within the Circle
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's yours, thank you Eva! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Isana

Post by Isana »

Availle wrote:Thank you Isana, you're in for both, no: all three of your claims :wink:
Have fun!

I think this is pretty much the last of his Japan related books. He also has a book on Chinese Ghost stories, which may be popular, and one called "Romance of the Milkyway" I didn't look at in detail. Of course, there is also "Lafcadio Hearn: Life and Letters" in at least two volumes, but I'm not sure how interesting that would be for the average reader/listener...
Thanks, Ava. :D

Aww, I will be sad when we run out of Lafcadio. I love his insights, essays, and the way he strings together words. As for Life and Letters, I dare say it would be interesting to many. I just had a glance at Romance of the Milky Way, and again it's mostly about Japanese culture--tanabata, poems, stories, and more (a lot of Japanese language).

One of these days, I will search the library here (which has a good collection of old books) and see if there are still unscanned copies of Lafcadio left.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ava,
May I read 5 and 6?
MaryAnn
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Of course, thank you MaryAnn!

I'll move this over to Readers Wanted...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Isana

Post by Isana »

Thank you, MaryAnn. Here are my PL notes:

Section 5: The file name should be 05 instead of 04. The intro should say chapter 4 instead of chapter 5. Otherwise, this section is PL OK.

Section 6: The file name should be 06 instead of 05. The intro should say chapter 5 instead of chapter 6 (the second instance).

00:19:03 -- Missing the following phrase: "and the highest art is that in which detail is most exquisitely elaborated."
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the quick turn around! I'll make the corrections and read the intros as "section x", dropping all reference the the chapter number.

Ava - you may want to change the intro from "chapter blah blah" to "section blah blah". I read chapters 4 and 5, so to speak of them in the intro as chapters 5 and 6 seems odd to me.

MaryAnn
Isana

Post by Isana »

MaryAnn, don't forget the outros if you are going to change to sections. The chapters in the outros are currently correct. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks to you both for the quick turnaround! :D

Yes, I think saying "section" in the very beginning makes most sense. I thought it would be fine with "chapter", but then I had to split more of them than I thought...

I will enter your files into the MW when you fixed the filename to avoid confusion.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »