State of the Union Addresses 1829-1836 - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Good idea. It's not something I have done before but I guess I can give that a try. No today though, as I'm already overbooked.

Thank you for the idea!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Hey, linny . Hope your visit was good. I see you're back at it full time. Good to hear from you, Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Craig, I probably should have mentioned that I inserted what appeared to be some missing words early in the speech in section 15. I checked another copy of the speech and the words are missing there as well. Maybe I just misunderstood how it was supposed to be read. Jim
soupy

Post by soupy »

You did a great job inserting those words Jim :D

Your reading of the exciting feud with France about 25 million francs is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Craig,
No reply from Will. I can edit the repeats if you think the other two notes can be let through. If not, I'll open this section. The one at 25 minutes has me on the fence but I hate to toss out a 36 minute recording for a couple of errors. What do you think?
especial attention of Government. In this spirit the measures which since the termination of the last war

The measures could have been adopted in the spring since the address was given in the winter. The thing is they were adopted.

Whatever you think best is fine with me linny :)

Craig
Last edited by soupy on July 11th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Craig. Yeah, it was very interesting (the games politicians play--almost childish)--and Jackson (or ghostwriter) explained it well.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/stateoftheunionaddresses1829_16_jackson_128kb.mp3 28.15 KB

30:01

Jim

By the way, if you can't splice and dice to your satisfactions on the abandoned file, I can re-record it.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Jim.

Tomorrow I'll take a look at that pending section and see what I can do with it. I spent most of the day with my folks. They wore me out! Early to bed for me. I'll let you know how it goes. I really appreciate your offer.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 16 is PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks Jim

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thank you!
linny

Post by linny »

soupy wrote:9:32 be transferred to the Attorney General, and that this officer be placed on the same footing in all respects as the heads of the other Departments, receiving like compensation and having such subordinate officers provided for his Department as may be requisite for the discharge of these additional duties.

Forgot to read receiving like compensation

14:20 – repeated must

25:18 it claims the especial attention of Government. In this spirit the measures which since the termination of the last war have been in operation for its gradual enlargement were adopted – you read spring for spirit

32:28 Thirteen years ago it was, in Mr. Madison's last message to Congress, made the subject of an earnest recommendation, which has been repeated by both of his successors; and my comparatively limited experience has satisfied me of its justness. It has arisen from many causes,
Thirteen years ago it was, in Mr. Madison's last message to Congress, made the subject of an earnest recommendation, which has been repeated by both of his successors; and my comparatively limited experience has satisfied me of its justness., Repeated
not the least of which is the large addition that has been made to the family of independent nations and the proportionate extension of our foreign relations.
OK, I gave it a try. I'm not pleased with the first edit. "Compensation" came from 3 words spliced together. Let me know what you think. I updated the timestamps.
linny

Post by linny »

I'll begin working on section breakdowns for the next project. 1837-1844 - Martin Van Buren and John Tyler. Word counts from 8,037-13,421. One address will be three sections and the remainder will be two sections each.
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'm not pleased with the first edit. "Compensation" came from 3 words spliced together. Let me know what you think. I updated the timestamps.
It must have been difficult to find those sounds.

Compensation is a little rough but it is understandable. I wonder if having the three words read in a different voice would make a big difference or not?

I'm willing to accept it as it is.

spirit sounds good.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you for the quick feedback. Lets stick with rough and understandable. I think that option is better than missing or a different voice.

I got lucky with Spirit. There were 3 in a single paragraph in section 1.

I hope you will be able to join us on the next project. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66445

Thank you all for your help on this project! Andrew Jackson is now complete. 3 down, 24 to go. :D
linny

Post by linny »

Huh! This surprised me. This project was 1.5 hours longer than the Monroe/Adams project but took 2 weeks less time to complete. Way to go! :clap: