COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:I deliberately leave pauses in long speeches as I think this how it would be done on stage with actors pausing for effect. Personally I feel that many readers, when recording, read too rapidly.
yes I agree with you on that, and I also feel that pauses are very important. I also didn't mind most of them, where there should be a break, as you say, on stage. But there were some places where they felt too long, because the thought-stream was not finished yet. Well, it's personal taste, I guess.

Anyway, you're right, they are easily reduced, if needs be. :)

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I've started recording my Meercrafts lines. I have a pronunciation question. I've read through the entire play (I found a copy of the Revels Edition at the local library for my own convenience--but of course, I'll do my reading from the online text). On a couple of occasions, Meercraft refers by name to Lady Eitherside. Since the word "either" has two possible pronunciations, I'm wondering which one we're using, since it's being used here as a proper name. EE-ther or EYE-ther?

Brad "Hamlet"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hamlet wrote:I've started recording my Meercrafts lines. I have a pronunciation question. I've read through the entire play (I found a copy of the Revels Edition at the local library for my own convenience--but of course, I'll do my reading from the online text). On a couple of occasions, Meercraft refers by name to Lady Eitherside. Since the word "either" has two possible pronunciations, I'm wondering which one we're using, since it's being used here as a proper name. EE-ther or EYE-ther?

Brad "Hamlet"
Her files are done in the MW - you can listen to her voice credit. Not that she is necessarily right, cuz as you say it could be either or either....

I really do not care about pronunciations of names so long as any given character is consistent in what they say someone else's name is. That means that different people can call someone else different sounding pronunciations.

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Todd, I am SO sorry to be so annoying, but I have been reading this play a lot more closely to get ready for it, and I don't think I can do Everill justice. He is just a completely threatening, physical, large, gravel-voiced thug type and everyone in his circle is afraid of him. It could really stand to be done by a man, and a man who can sound intimidating in this of all the roles (other than Satan who should also of course be a little intimidating :). If you don't mind I could easily do Plutarchus and sound less ridiculous.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Not annoying. The purpose of being in one of these plays is having fun. I have switched your claim.

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thank you, Todd!
Eva D
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I can read the role of Everill if you like.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Algy Pug wrote:I can read the role of Everill if you like.

Cheers
Thanks.

Todd
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote:Readings for Everill:
excellent, Algy. Everill is, how shall I put it... an unsavoury character :? Wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley (or anywhere else for that matter). I think your portrayal and voice would be perfect to voice Mr Croup or Mr Vandemar in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. :mrgreen:

I can mark Act 4 PL ok already.

PL notes for Act 3

> at about 1:47: insert missing line (p. 304 top) "You'll mar all with your fineness."

> at 2:53: missing part (p. 304 bottom): "which is diverse"

one minor PL note for Act 5

> at 2:37: "oh are you here sir" - couldn't find this line in the text...can be cut out I think. I suspect it was the first line from Act 3, for some reason copied here :hmm:

Sonia
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote:Readings for Everill corrected and re-uploaded:
thank you Algy, both now PL ok

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Plutarchus ... what a cute little role.

Wow, this play is funny ... it's hard to believe it's not a little too hot to stage even now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_plutarchus_1.mp3 1:36
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_plutarchus_2.mp3 0:12
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_plutarchus_3.mp3 0:26
Eva D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote:Plutarchus ... what a cute little role.

yes he really did not have that much to say.

But I must protest a bit: you made me look like crazy in the first Act for Plutarchus...until I checked the MW and saw he only shows up in Act 3, 4 and 5 :shock: you need to be careful how to name your file names ;) the numbers 1, 2, 3 made me look in the wrong acts.

But it's ok, no need to change them now, I'll make a note in the MW, they will be deleted later on anyway.

Acts 3 & 5 are already PL ok . You somehow make him sound sweet, like a really young fellow.

For Act 4: (so that would be your file name numbered "2")

> right at the beginning, can you insert one missing line, please ? (p. 327 middle) “His hand is to the draught.”

Since you have to re-upload anyway, you could also correctly name that one "4". ;)

thanks

Sonia