COMPLETE[PLAY] Cupid's Whirligig (1607) by Edward Sharpham - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:Whoops! Rather than get Phil to read the line, it was easier to construct 'stung' from a collection of other sounds (editing ninjitsu!).
:shock: you isolised and replaced the 'fl' with an 'st' sound ? I'm in awe.
I think I will also leave this one as it is. It's a bit of a palaver to go back to my nephew for one word, and as his reading doesn't sound odd (and even 'nominativo' wouldn't be the exact word today's Latin scholars would use), I think it's fine.
yes I figured it wasn't a big deal, but wanted to mention it nevertheless. Good call.

Still waiting for the Wages edits, right ? Or are these ok as well ?

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Rob Marland reader section | website
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks Rob, these Acts are both PL ok now. Nice edits. :thumbs:

So that concludes my work here, till the final Acts are assembled. I keep this on my notification list, so I won't miss anything.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:Lady Troublesome Acts 4 & 5 edited and re-uploaded

I think it was another typo in the script. Writing "La" instead of "Na" can happen so quickly, considering how many typos there were in already. :roll:

But: I included the sentence, and in the end when all is assembled, you can decide what sounds better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_4.mp3
Recording time: 7:28 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_lady-troublesome_5.mp3
Recording time: 4:48 min.

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia. These are PL OK now. Like you, I am not sure about who this line is intended for. I think I side more towards it being the lady, though, just because she asks Peg to pin her dress in front, and she earlier asks how her tire looks, which I think is an item of clothing. So maybe she is being fitted for a new dress? Either way, the typesetter should be fired!
mageek

Post by mageek »

I would love to take the part of Peg, though I've had some issues with the recording software I use with dB recognition (I have a funky computer that won't download anything except for specific apps, it's obnoxious). I've been able to fix it in the past if someone tells me what to change it to, if you're ok with a little more editing on your end I'll gladly volunteer.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

mageek wrote:I would love to take the part of Peg, though I've had some issues with the recording software I use with dB recognition (I have a funky computer that won't download anything except for specific apps, it's obnoxious). I've been able to fix it in the past if someone tells me what to change it to, if you're ok with a little more editing on your end I'll gladly volunteer.
Hello! Thanks for joining us. I am not sure what dB recognition is, but I assume it's something to do with volume, right? If you could help me to understand the problem a bit more, that would be useful. I don't mind doing some editing for you. Assuming that you mean you can record audio fine but cannot edit it, I would ask you to click your fingers after every mistake and start the sentence from the beginning (not necessarily the whole line, just from the last point where you paused: usually the start of a sentence). That way I can see the clicks when I edit and it is faster for me.

Do let me know more about your specific problem, as I may have other suggestions. In the meantime, I will set aside the role for you.
mageek

Post by mageek »

RobBoard wrote:I am not sure what dB recognition is, but I assume it's something to do with volume, right? If you could help me to understand the problem a bit more, that would be useful. I don't mind doing some editing for you.
So I can record and edit out any mistakes/pauses, but it usually needs volume adjustment and my software won't tell me what it's already at so I never know what to change. I've also had some problems with it downloading as stereo, not mono, even when it states it is mono but that's a simple online converter that I can run if you tell me. Other than that there haven't been any issues I can remember.
Yay!! Books :)
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

mageek wrote:
RobBoard wrote:I am not sure what dB recognition is, but I assume it's something to do with volume, right? If you could help me to understand the problem a bit more, that would be useful. I don't mind doing some editing for you.
So I can record and edit out any mistakes/pauses, but it usually needs volume adjustment and my software won't tell me what it's already at so I never know what to change. I've also had some problems with it downloading as stereo, not mono, even when it states it is mono but that's a simple online converter that I can run if you tell me. Other than that there haven't been any issues I can remember.
OK, the mono/stereo thing is no problem because I can convert that in just a few seconds when I edit. The volume thing should also not be a problem, unless you record at a very high volume (which could lead to clipping and distorted sound) or very low (in which case the buzzing background noise would be too loud after I boost the overall volume). Maybe one option is to record a brief test and compare the volume to other files, e.g. pro podcasts? But then I am not sure if you can change the volume if it sounds off. Having said that, if it doesn't give you an option, it's probably recording within a usable range, and I can adjust in the edit.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Exhibition. I didn't think that dialog at all strange....

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_exhibition_4.mp3

Thanks, Todd
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

ToddHW wrote:Here is Exhibition. I didn't think that dialog at all strange....

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_exhibition_4.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Thanks, Todd. PL OK!
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

I'd like to claim Servingman in Acts 4 and 5. This is my first LibriVox foray into dramatic works, so I want a nice memorable role! How should we separate the lines we read? Just a pause, or would you like a finger-snap or tongue-click or something so the breaks are more visible?

Thanks in advance!
~~Owen
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

OwenCook wrote:I'd like to claim Servingman in Acts 4 and 5. This is my first LibriVox foray into dramatic works, so I want a nice memorable role! How should we separate the lines we read? Just a pause, or would you like a finger-snap or tongue-click or something so the breaks are more visible?

Thanks in advance!
~~Owen
Thanks, Owen.

A pause of a few seconds is good for me. When I edit the final piece together and I know e.g. the servingman has the next line, I will look ahead and cut at the next pause. If there is a click or some other sound, it is a bit of extra work each time because then I have to trim that sound out too. Thanks for checking!
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

RobBoard wrote: Thanks, Owen.

A pause of a few seconds is good for me. When I edit the final piece together and I know e.g. the servingman has the next line, I will look ahead and cut at the next pause. If there is a click or some other sound, it is a bit of extra work each time because then I have to trim that sound out too. Thanks for checking!
Great! Thanks very much. Here are the two files (with the file sizes, if these are needed):
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_servingman_4.mp3 [1.14 KB]
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cupidswhirligig_servingman_5.mp3 [0.39 KB]

Please let me know if anything's amiss. Otherwise, break a leg! I can hardly imagine what a task it must be to stitch these all together...
~~Owen