[COMPLETE] Short Science Fiction Collection 060-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Short Science Fiction Collection 060 by Various ( - ).

Science fiction is a genre encompassing imaginative works that take place in this world or that of the author’s creation where anything is possible. The only rules are those set forth by the author. The speculative nature of the genre inspires thought and plants seeds that have led to advances in science. The genre can spark an interest in the sciences and is cited as the impetus for the career choice of many scientists. It is a playing field to explore social perspectives, predictions of the future, and engage in adventures unbound into the richness of the human mind. ( A. Gramour)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-060-by-various/
  • This collection is for science fiction recordings of less than 70 minutes in duration

Collection Requirements:

• Text must be in the Public Domain (with expired copyright, or published before 1923)
    • Each recording must contain a complete story
    • Claiming stories is unnecessary (duplicates are held for future collections)
    • There is no deadline (when finished, post to the currently open collection)
    For help with LibriVox requirements and policies see the Recording Notes topic

Finding Texts:

Stories found on the Project Gutenberg US site are cleared for recording
    Gutenberg’s Science Fiction Bookshelf is a good starting point.
    Gutenberg’s science fiction content is not always cataloged as such (search by other criteria)
    Gutenberg plain text, us-ascii, uncompressed files of less than 78 KB or 10,000 story words can generally be read in less than 70 minutes
    Project Gutenberg continues to add science fiction magazines such as The Galaxy and Astounding Stories. There you can view the fantastic covers and illustrations that accompany the stories. A compilation of PD stories from Galaxy magazine can be found here: Galaxy PD
    The Librivox Main Page also contains pages listing Gutenberg stories appropriate to this collection:
    The Science Fiction Short Stories Science Fiction Short Stories page shows stories that can be read in less than 60 minutes.
    The Science Fiction by Women bookshelf in Gutenberg can be found here: SF by Women
    The Science Fiction Shortish Stories page shows longer stories that may be read in less than 60 minutes depending on your reading speed.
    The LibriVox Short Science Fiction Index displays stories already in the LibriVox catalog (Note: duplicates welcome)
    A Librivox discussion and suggestion thread on science fiction in the public domain and the new arrivals in PG can be found here: List of Early Science Fiction
    Stories from sources other than Gutenberg require evidence of public domain status. For more information see the Copyright and Public Domain page of the LibriVox wiki .

File Requirements:
    • Recording must be a monaural MP3 file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a bit rate of 128 Kbps.
    • File name must be formatted entirely in lower case letters and use under-bars to separate values as in: ssf060_titleinoneword_authorlastname_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (e.g. ssf060_nightfall_asimov_abc_128kb.mp3) Exclude definite articles like “The” from the file name.
    • Recording must contain LibriVox announcements at beginning.

Beginning Announcement:
    “[story title] by [author]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name]".
    Then repeat: "[Title], by [author]. Translated by [translator]."

Ending Announcement:
    "End of [title], by [author] Translated by [translator]."
    You can then optionally say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Recordings of less than 30 minutes require 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file
    • Recordings of more than 30 minutes require 10 seconds of silence at the end of the file
    • All files must have ID3 V2 tags that populate the following 3 fields:

Title: [story title]
    Artist: [author name] (trans. by [translator name])
    Album:Short Science Fiction Collection 060

For help with ID3 V2 tags see the What is ID3 page of the LibriVox wiki.
    For help with recording issues see the LibriVox Newbie Guide to Recording.
    For help with noise cleaning in your recordings see theNoise Cleaningpage of the LibriVox wiki.

Posting completed recordings:
    • Send your completed recording to us by using the LibriVox Uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • For help with posting completed recordings see the How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
• Always post a message to this forum thread after a successful upload. The message must contain:
o The story title
o The author’s name
o The URL displayed by the LibriVox Uploader after the file has successfully uploaded
o The URL for the online version of the text
o The duration of the recording
• If this is your first submission to the Short Science Fiction Collections please provide:
o Your name/pseudonym as you wish it to appear in the LibriVox catalog
o Your personal website URL (optional)
Check this forum thread frequently for messages pertaining to your story!

Level of prooflistening: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
===========================================
(PL = Proof-Listening; PLC = Proof-listening Complete; PL OK = ready to catalog)

============================================
Stories are entered in the order received, but are alphabetized for final cataloging.
Questions can be posted to this thread.

Any questions?
Please post below.

Live Long and Prosper!
-Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi Amy:

I thought you might take the weekend off, but if you are working, I am working.

THE BIG BOUNCE
By WALTER S. TEVIS

Read by Dale Grothmann

Text at
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23153/23153-h/23153-h.htm

Time: 22:38

LV file at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf060_Bigbounce_tevis_dg_128kb.mp3

There is no hurry. Enjoy the fireworks

Dale
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Dale,
I hope you enjoy the holiday, too.
I will PL soon.
Thank you!
Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi Amy--happy 4th

A new one.

JUNIOR ,
By ROBERT ABERNATHY
Read by
Dale Grothmann

Time:17:30

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/49809/49809-h/49809-h.htm

LV file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf060_junior_abernathy_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Happy 4th, Dale! :birthday:
The team at Gutenberg is amazing. They have been producing so much new science fiction. Abernathy is a new author to the catalog. Many of the others lately have been, too.
Great stuff. I will PL soon.
Thank you!
Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Dale,
Big Bounce is PL OK.
Junior just needs to have its ending silence reduced to 5 seconds. Since a change is needed, please amplify it by 2 db.
Great readings!
Thanks!
Amy :)
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi Amy:

I am using a different compression algorythm, and I am not sure of the settings yet. I think this will be what you want. If not, leave me a post, and I can change it. (it is easy.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf060_junior_abernathy_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks

Dale
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Dale,
It is PL OK now. :thumbs:
Thank you!
Amy
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi:

Something very short, but interesting.

Lost in the future
by ... John Victor Peterson
Recording by
Dale Grothmann
Time 6:35
Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28645/28645-h/28645-h.htm

LV file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf060_lostinthefuture_peterson_dg_128kb.mp3

Dale
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Dale,
This appears to be the same one you submitted for the previous collection. It is the same file. We can't use the same recording in two collections. Did you forget that you had already submitted it?
:hmm:
Amy
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Dale's probably been watching too much Wimbledon, Amy. Be kind. ;)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf060_mellontatauta_poe_vfkabt_128kb.mp3
Mellonta Tauta, by Edgar Allan Poe (should that be Mellonia or Mellonta -- the book on PG has both spellings -- ?)
Vol. 4 of the Raven edition of the Works of EAP , 1809-1849
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2150
40:28
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Sorry. My record keeping isn't what it should be. But I have another.

Question: Can I make another recording of the same story and resubmit it later??

Dale
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Grothmann wrote:

Question: Can I make another recording of the same story and resubmit it later??

Dale
Seems to me I've done this myself in different projects over the years. Accent on 'years'. If the writer (Wells, Poe, et al) is someone who can be included in a regular short-story collection, that's been done also.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi, Amy,
Here is the story I owe you (without comment):

With a Vengeance
By J. B. WOODLEY

Read by Dale Grothmann
Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30475/30475-h/30475-h.htm

Time 17:08

LV file
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf060_withavengence_woodley_dg_128kb.mp3

This was published in 1953, and can not be confused with anyone now or in the future...

Dale
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thank you