COMPLETE[solo]Journal of a Disappointed Man -WNP Barbellion-a

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
I always enjoy your recordings so it will be indeed a welcome distraction. I think this may be the beginning of "the decline and fall...." But let us hope not. Unbelievable!!
I will try to PL tomorrow.
-Amy :)
p.s.
French people mispronounce English some times too. I have heard some rather interesting stabs at "Episcopalian", for one example.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
Section 12 is PL OK.
I hope he does have a Percy Shelley-esque moment some time. I will have to wait and see.
Have a good night!
Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

I hope you had a lovely Christmas and the Krampus deservedly let you be!

Here's the conclusion of the section part (in London) of Barbellion's journal. Onto marriage with the ever-introspective man.

Seem gorgeous naturalist observations in the first part of this one.

All best,
Adam

Length - 39:39
Size - 36.3 mb
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_13_barbellion_128kb.mp3
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
Happy New Year!
I love your delivery of the fact that the man performing the "lice belt" experiment was not married.
It was an interesting section and excellently narrated per usual. I look forward to hearing about the marriage of this man. He is so candid.
The recording is PL OK.
It was a pleasure to listen to.
Have a good night!
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Another day, another Barbellion! Not the most riveting of entries IMHO, but hard not to feel sorry for the poor man. I find slightly heart-rending seeing him rage against his disease - which was apparently MS, though there has been speculation that it was Lymes.

I changed the volume input about a third of the way in, though I think the quality decreased marginally rather than increasing. Hopefully it is not too noticeable since I tried to equalise the sound, but if it needs more work, please do tell me! :) Thank you as ever, Amy. It's strange to think I've been at this for almost three years now. It's been fun, but it'll be nice to finish it off and go back to reading some short stories and just single chapters!

Best,
Adam

Time - 19:42
Size - 18.0 mb
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_14_barbellion_128kb.mp3
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Wow. I didn't realize it has been three years. You do have a lot done. It is touching and sad to hear his thoughts about his life from boyhood to married man and now his health is going to deteriorate.
You do a great job of bringing his words to life.
I didn't notice any volume change. Also, the volume of the sections will all equal out to some extent when the project is cataloged.
Cheers!
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

1916, part 1 - in which Barbellion reveals his prejudice against the Scottish based upon an irritating experience with one man
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_15_barbellion_128kb.mp3
Size: 37.4 mb
Length: 40:54

Some wonderful aphoristic insights here amongst some slightly banal sanctimoniousness!
Mental telepathy and clairvoyance should be common at least to all lovers.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It had some touching moments in this section. And you sang a little!
PL OK. :thumbs:
It was a pleasure to listen to; you were really into it.
Cheers!
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hey Amy - perhaps not the most exciting part for you here, but quite moving in parts with some interesting reflections on the war :)

I hope you are well!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/Barbellion16.mp3

Part 16
25:55
19.1 mb
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
I wish you a Happy 4th. Over there you are probably glad to be rid of the USA given the present state of things here.
PL Notes:
This file needs to have a bit-rate of 128 kb. Please adjust it and re-upload it.
I loved his description of feeling like the larch trees. We call them tamarack here. I just love them. I wanted my forum name to be The Larch (ala Monty Python), but I put in alg1001 thinking it was just an account setup so I am stuck with it at this point.
Cheers!

alg=Amy (The Larch) Gramour
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Ah~ a shame, that - would have been a lovely name!

America does seem to be in a terrible state these days... but Britain isn't much better :(

Thank for your ludicrously speedy proofing! I may just finish off 1916 this week!! :)

-Adam

P.S. Hopefully I've changed the file correctly. I was a little stumped by having updated Audacity! XD
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,

That would be great. It is getting very close to finished now. Unfortunately, it must not end well, but it will be narrated well, so I think Barbellion would be pleased with that.

Section 16 is good now, and you updated the file name. :thumbs:
Cheers!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Apologies it took a little longer than I said. I struggled a little reading this one as there are very abrupt shifts in emotions from entry to entry. The poor man is not doing well.

Time: 50 mins 33 secs
Size: 46.2 mb
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_17_barbellion_128kb.mp3

Thanks again Amy for all your work on this! :clap:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It is my pleasure to PL this.
You did a great job expressing how he was feeling. At least, he rest assured that his words have not been lost.
Cheers!
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Second last part by my reckoning! :shock:

Strange to be coming to the end of this project and the end of a life.

Some beautiful, almost OTT but moving passages in this section.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_18_barbellion_128kb.mp3

38.2 mb
41:36 mins