COMPLETE [SOLO] Visions and Revisions by John Cowper Powys-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
keri

Post by keri »

Visions and Revisions by John Cowper Powys (1872 - 1963).

Volunteers outside the USA: Author died in 1963. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).
Powys presents a set of literary devotions of great figures in Literature who have obsessed him. He attempts not so much a reasoned critique or any attempt to categorise these figures but rather, as he describes in the Preface: "to give [himself] up, absolutely and completely, to the various visions and temperaments of these great dead artists." Powys delivered popular lectures throughout the United States and was able to hold audiences in rapt attention for hours while speaking about great literature and writers, this book from the earlier part of his writing career gives us a little glimpse into what those lectures must have been like. ( Keri Ford)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/visions-and-revisions-by-john-cowper-powys/

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26933
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Keywords that describe the book: dickens, Shakespeare, Nietzsche, Goethe, Charles Lamb, shelley, Keats, Thomas Hardy, Milton, Walt Whitman, dante, rabelais, el greco, matthew arnold, walter pater, dostoievsky, edgar allen poe

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Visions and Revisions. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Visions and Revisions, by John Cowper Powys. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Visions and Revisions by John Cowper Powys. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Visions and Revisions, by John Cowper Powys. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename visions_##_powys_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. visions_01_powys_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags will be added during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Keri,
I will MC this for you.
Do you have a proof listener lined up? If not I will keep you on the launchpad for another day.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
keri

Post by keri »

Many Thanks Amy,

No I didn't have any lined up. Do people need any particular experience to be proof listeners? I might ask a friend who has done some reading and covers before for librivox.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Keri,
No experience is needed. Here is the place to find out all about it. It is the Prooflistening Template and FAQ.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17680
Thanks,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

That might be me: Grant Petersen. Can I be the/a PL for this project please and do the cover too? I am willing to be DPL if that's Okay.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Grant,
I assume Keri will be happy to have you as DPL. I am going to sign you up and move this to Going Solo.
Thanks!
Amy
keri

Post by keri »

Yes, I am happy to have Grant Proof Listen, it's great to have this project going, thank you Amy and Grant.
keri

Post by keri »

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Keri and Grant,
In case you haven't use the Magic Window before, I sent you a private message with how to obtain access to it and how to update it.
Cheers,
Amy
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

Not sure who should update the magik window when a reader has posted a new file. I've had a go, putting
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/visions_01_powys_128kb.mp3
in the Listen URL field, The Title from the text's contents in the MW title and changing the status to ready for PL.
Please excuse me if this is wrong.
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

That first reading was great. I've changed the status to PL OK and added the duration to the notes column.
keri

Post by keri »

Thanks Grant,

I hadn't had time to look at it, so thanks for doing that, first section done. It feels like we're making progress. Let me know if you want to keep doing that otherwise i'm happy to do so.
gppetersen

Post by gppetersen »

Reading is the big job so I'll take on all that I can to lighten the load but I'm also generally happy to keep doing it. I'm not fully confident that I'm doing it correctly but it seems OK and if anything is wrong I'm sure it can be fixed.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

The MW looks fine. You have the hang of it, Grant.
Thanks,
Amy
keri

Post by keri »