COMPLETE[PLAY]Mademoiselle De Belle Isle by Dumas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Mademoiselle De Belle Isle by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870). Translated by Frances Anne Kemble (1809 - 1893)

This project is now complete. Files can be found at: https://librivox.org/mademoiselle-de-belle-isle-by-alexandre-dumas/
"The refined and fashionable audiences who... used to applaud the play of Mademoiselle de Belle Isle… would, in all probability, have objected to an English version of Dumas' clever play, upon the score of its immorality. It is not for me to determine whether the aristocratic audiences at the St James Theater did not understand what they heard, or whether the French language has a special charm for rendering inoffensive what plain English fails to recommend." ( The Translator)
  • Another Alexandre Dumas play. Gender neutral casting as always. Kitty is our DPL once again!

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/plays00kemb#page/424/mode/2up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: gGABUjgv
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 45
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known):
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Mademoiselle De Belle Isle, by Alexandre Dumas. Translated by Frances Anne Kemble (1809 - 1893) This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        debelleisle_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
        Any questions?
        Please post below
Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah it's launched ! Well, I'm checking in as Marchioness (another one) and DPL :) The play reminded me a bit of Liaisons Dangereuses :thumbs: Good find, Todd.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hehe, yes, Sonia told me this role would be very John Malkovich, so I'll put in my claim for the Duke de Richelieu and hope I make her proud.

Obviously I will prioritize the plays that were launched earlier. But I've had so much fun with the other Dumas plays, I simply couldn't sit on my hands until the last minute.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:Hehe, yes, Sonia told me this role would be very John Malkovich, so I'll put in my claim for the Duke de Richelieu and hope I make her proud.
yay ! I see my PR work pays off :9:

Thanks Tomas, I think you will be perfect in that role.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd, to make the text quicker accessible, could you insert this link into your first post maybe ? It's already zooming in on the correct first page of the play, otherwise people have to skim through the entire Mary Stuart before. (such things annoy me, so maybe also others :mrgreen: )

https://archive.org/stream/plays00kemb#page/424/mode/2up

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:Todd, to make the text quicker accessible, could you insert this link into your first post maybe ? It's already zooming in on the correct first page of the play, otherwise people have to skim through the entire Mary Stuart before. (such things annoy me, so maybe also others :mrgreen: )

https://archive.org/stream/plays00kemb#page/424/mode/2up

Sonia
Don't want to annoy you - change made!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll read for Mariette.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here's a fair bit of PL work for you Todd :mrgreen: Madame de Valcour is quite a complex woman. I loved to convey her sensitive side with the Abbé first and then the careless flirty act she puts on as soon as the Duke de Richelieu shows up.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_valcour_1.mp3
Recording time: 16:27 min.

sorry only one Act today, but it took me rather longer than I initially thought.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks!

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Actually, on second thought (and upon reading through the whole play), I'd love to read Mademoiselle de Belle Isle. If you like, I could still read for Mariette, with a bit of an accent, or I could give her up to another reader. BTW, Mariette also has one line in Act III.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote:Actually, on second thought (and upon reading through the whole play), I'd love to read Mademoiselle de Belle Isle. If you like, I could still read for Mariette, with a bit of an accent, or I could give her up to another reader. BTW, Mariette also has one line in Act III.
I have switched you to Mademoiselle de Belle Isle. No need for doubling parts.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Act 2 for Madame de Valcour...pooh I did not expect this role to be so huge. But the intrigue she is spinning here to keep her husband from cheating is quite exquisite 8-) I am so looking forward to hearing my dialogue with Tomas.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_valcour_2.mp3
Recording time: 17:37 min.

Now I need to rest and will treat myself to PLing the final Act for Cymbeline (which means...it's gonna be ready to upload tomorrow, so be prepared, Todd :mrgreen: )

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Will you/Do you have a pronunciation guide for the French names? I'll look up any that I'm unsure of if not, but I thought you might, just for the sake of consistency.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Madame de Valcour is PL OK for Acts 1 and 2.

(If you want a pronunciation guide, I recommend you listen to this role - Kitty has it perfect I am sure!)

Thanks, Todd