(COMPLETE) Montezuma's Daughter H Rider Haggard-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

MONTEZUMA’S DAUGHTER by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/montezumas-daughter-by-h-rider-haggard/

A moving adventure story narrated by Thomas Wingfield, an Englishman, for Queen Elizabeth 1 of England about the murder of his mother, his trail of vengeance against the murderer which leads him to the Spanish Inquisition, slavery, romance and living under Montezuma in his kingdom which is now called Mexico. Summary by Patrick79
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1848
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Project Code: HHlaIRqQ
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (H. Rider Haggard) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_Rider_Haggard
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma's_Daughter
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 40
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1893
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Patrick Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Literary Fiction; Romance

Keywords that describe the book: romance, historical, narration

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of MONTEZUMA’S DAUGHTER. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "MONTEZUMA’S DAUGHTER, by H. Rider Haggard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of MONTEZUMA’S DAUGHTER by H. Rider Haggard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of MONTEZUMA’S DAUGHTER, by H. Rider Haggard. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename montezumasdaughter_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. montezumasdaughter_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: H. Rider Haggard
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: MONTEZUMA’S DAUGHTER

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Patrick79 on November 8th, 2017, 11:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Patrick, I'll MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW and your homework assignment!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is up for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick a DPL. Now, for your homework. You need to log into the workflow system, which is the Magic Window, for the first time. This document right here will tell you what you need to do. Please do that as soon as possible and let me know if you have any problems or when you have access to the MW. You, as soloist, are your own BC, you are responsible for your MW. That means you put in the section titles and paste the links that you get from the uploader into the correct spot. The sooner you can get into the MW, the sooner you can get started on this project.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

Hi Ann

Great, thanks for being my MW!!

Have tried to log in via the link but get the msge:

You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout

Perhaps you can let me know what to do.

Patrick
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Patrick79 wrote:Hi Ann

Great, thanks for being my MW!!

Have tried to log in via the link but get the msge:

You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout

Perhaps you can let me know what to do.

Patrick
What you need to do is to log out of the uploader. The uploader has a different password than the workflow, just to keep the people who don't belong there out. Once you have logged out of the uploader, try logging into the workflow again, you should be able to do it at that point.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC

Awesome! Thanks Dave, you have access to the MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

icequeen wrote:OK, your MW is up for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick a DPL. Now, for your homework. You need to log into the workflow system, which is the Magic Window, for the first time. This document right here will tell you what you need to do. Please do that as soon as possible and let me know if you have any problems or when you have access to the MW. You, as soloist, are your own BC, you are responsible for your MW. That means you put in the section titles and paste the links that you get from the uploader into the correct spot. The sooner you can get into the MW, the sooner you can get started on this project.

Hi Ann

Am in the MW and started to fill in.

Thanks
P79
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Perfect! Since you are in, and we have Dave on board, we can move over to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC

Hi Dave

Welcome aboard and thanks for DPL. I look forward to working with you I'm new and this is a bit of a learning curve but am looking forward to it all.

All the best
Patrick
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

Hi

I have uploaded the first 3 chapters for listening:

Chapter 01 23mins 40.7sec on link https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/montezumasdaughter_01_haggard_128kb.mp3
Chapter 02 24mins 57.6 sec on link https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/montezumasdaughter_02_haggard_128kb.mp3
Chapter 03 24 mins 32 sec on link https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/montezumasdaughter_03_haggard_128kb.mp3

Hope all is well with them and you enjoy. The start is a bit slow but there is lots story action ahead. Any comments would be appreciated before I plough on too far.

Patrick
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Opening silence should be less than 1s.
Missing intro at beginning of file.
Volume is a tad low (85.4dB). Clipping will prevent amplification above 86.3dB so you might what to consider using the Effect/Compressor function in Audacity. A video showing how to use it is at the following url. The goal is 89dB (definitely in the 86-92dB range).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
Ending silence need only be 5s in length.

The urls and file durations (in the notes column; mm:ss) should be added to the MW. Nice read.
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

craigdav1 wrote:1
Opening silence should be less than 1s.
Missing intro at beginning of file.
Volume is a tad low (85.4dB). Clipping will prevent amplification above 86.3dB so you might what to consider using the Effect/Compressor function in Audacity. A video showing how to use it is at the following url. The goal is 89dB (definitely in the 86-92dB range).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
Ending silence need only be 5s in length.

The urls and file durations (in the notes column; mm:ss) should be added to the MW. Nice read.

Hi Ann
Many thanks for the feedback. I have trimmed the begin and end as suggested. I have compressed and is now nearly 88db, thanks for the video link which made it easy. The reason I didn't put full intro on is because there is a previous chapter 0 which is a dedication and notes. Do you recommend putting the full intro on the chapter 01 as well. I will do the MW bits as soon as I have the final chapter version.

All the best
Patrick
Patrick79

Post by Patrick79 »

Hi Craigdav1

Sorry I thought the post was from Ann. My apologies. Thanks for the feedback again. Just getting used to how all this works.

Regards
Patrick
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Silences at the beginning and end need to be shorten to <1s and 5s, respectively.
Though the volume is acceptable (86.8dB) you might consider using Effect/Compressor and then amplifying before resubmitting the file.

As to the intro of Chapter 1, it's your decision. The longer intro becomes bothersome with shorter chapters and/or longer books.
By the way, the MW will always have the most recently uploaded version of each section. The earlier versions are renamed but kept on the server until the book is finished.

Dave